Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Subaru BRZ - Streets of Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I'm finding this extremely hard to swallow.

The numbers just don't compute. I really think this is mostly driver mod than anything.
driver or not, the other cars aren't gonna pick up 5 seconds with the same driver.. maybe 2-3.

the point isn't that the car is actually faster - just that it's extremely capable.

1:30 is about what a quick car will do at willow springs short
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
who would pick the miata with the brand new brz/frs out? you can still tell by how they write that it's one of the top driving cars
Sure but it sounds like the BRZ surpasses it and the hype is well earned.

Supposedly Toyota/Subaru is going to bring one to an autocross this summer for people to thrash.

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Sure but it sounds like the BRZ surpasses it and the hype is well earned.

Supposedly Toyota/Subaru is going to bring one to an autocross this summer for people to thrash.

sure - and im sure it surpasses the miata too - my awkward point is this: if theyre evaluating the brz/frs as a purely a drivrers cars rather than outright speed, i think these cars are closer than what the miatas given credit for
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with that, but I also think the Miata is given too much credit at times. It's a phenomenal car but it is showing its age. Hopefully this inspires Mazda to step it up for the ND.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Locally, the Subaru and Toyota/Scion dealers are letting me down because neither has received their allotment yet. I really want to drive a BRZ/FR-S, but am almost scared it would make me consider jumping ship. Hopefully the back seat is way too small, because that will hold off the temptation.
Back seat is more like a space for a backpack, briefcase, or small child. Without car seat.

We've got an FR-S
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I agree with that, but I also think the Miata is given too much credit at times. It's a phenomenal car but it is showing its age. Hopefully this inspires Mazda to step it up for the ND.
Bear with me, because this is secondhand, but I heard that EVO magazine recently put a BRZ up against several cars including the Miata, and the Miata was faster.

Please post up your impressions if you drive a BRZ/FR-S!

I went to look at one today, but did not drive it because it was an automatic, and I didn't want to be disappointed. I'm 6'1", but there is only like 20mm between my head and the roof. There is no way I could drive it with a helmet.

The other thing that stinks is that we have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. I have to take them to school in the morning, and I honestly don't have any idea how I'd put one of them in the backseat behind me. I tried to get in the back, and had my legs held crazy and my head laying on my shoulder. When I was in the driver seat, the seat back was literally contacting the backseat.

Sigh. Maybe someday. I'm still gonna try to test drive a manual and report back, though!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Back seat is more like a space for a backpack, briefcase, or small child. Without car seat.

We've got an FR-S
Thanks for the post! What's up with the dyno graph? Is that the factory tuning? If so, that monster dip starting at 3200 is almost unforgivable. Can you feel it on the street?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the post! What's up with the dyno graph? Is that the factory tuning? If so, that monster dip starting at 3200 is almost unforgivable. Can you feel it on the street?
I haven't driven the car yet, but from others impressions... Yes, you can feel it. And yes, that is the factory tune. That dyno chart was when we 1st got the car. 2nd day we had it

The car is currently in the hands of our sister company, Agency Power, getting a bunch of parts developed. We're also working with a very reputable clutch manufacturer, and another well known company for brake pads.

Agency Power is working on the following:

Intake (2 designs, with variations of each)
Exhaust (Cat-back, headers, TP)
Rear suspension (RSB, end links, LCAs)

We're partnered up with the clutch company and currently testing a clutch and flywheel combo. The brake manufacturer is working on front and rear pads.

The suspension prototypes have been on the road for some miles. So far so good on those. No track data yet, though. The car's been on the lift a lot for the other projects so no thorough testing has been done yet.

We were able to get the car early through the First 86 program, which is how we've covered so much ground so quickly. I believe yesterday was the 1st day of general sales. So far AP has managed to make power through the entire rev range, and actually smooth that dip a little. It's still there on the dyno, and it's still noticeable, but it has improved. My guess is that it's the cams that are causing it, and it's probably done for MPG/emissions reasons.

Once AP has finalized their production pieces, I'll let you guys know how much power everything is making. Right now, since they're still in prototype stages, I obviously don't want to throw numbers around.

Bear with me, because this is secondhand, but I heard that EVO magazine recently put a BRZ up against several cars including the Miata, and the Miata was faster.

I went to look at one today, but did not drive it because it was an automatic, and I didn't want to be disappointed. I'm 6'1", but there is only like 20mm between my head and the roof. There is no way I could drive it with a helmet.

The other thing that stinks is that we have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. I have to take them to school in the morning, and I honestly don't have any idea how I'd put one of them in the backseat behind me. I tried to get in the back, and had my legs held crazy and my head laying on my shoulder. When I was in the driver seat, the seat back was literally contacting the backseat.

Sigh. Maybe someday. I'm still gonna try to test drive a manual and report back, though!
On the Scion forums, there's a list of car seats that have been tested for fitment in the rear seat. I'm assuming your 3 yr old is in a "booster" seat, and the 6 yr old doesn't use any special seating, right? I'm clueless about children, so I could be way off lol. Anyway, a forward facing car seat will fit behind the front passenger, if the passenger seat is 2-3 clicks from the front or closer to the dash. A booster seat shouldn't be an issue. Is your 6 yr old big enough to be in the front seat? Again, I'm clueless about kids.

-Matt C

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Jun 1, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickedwhite8
I don't see why everyone is so surprised the EVO x got beat by some many cars, the X is pig heavy and underpowered in comparison to those cars listed. Christ even a v6 mustang puts more down than a X . The x weighs 200 pounds more than mustang and makes a fuzz less power.
I think everyone here has at least a couple mods on their evo and they forgot how slow it was stock. a stock evox is really nothing special in outright speed, it only gets a decent 0-60 time cause of the awd launch...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
On the Scion forums, there's a list of car seats that have been tested for fitment in the rear seat. I'm assuming your 3 yr old is in a "booster" seat, and the 6 yr old doesn't use any special seating, right? I'm clueless about children, so I could be way off lol. Anyway, a forward facing car seat will fit behind the front passenger, if the passenger seat is 2-3 clicks from the front or closer to the dash. A booster seat shouldn't be an issue. Is your 6 yr old big enough to be in the front seat? Again, I'm clueless about kids.

-Matt C
These days they have kids staying in booster seats until they're 11-12 years old

The lack of back seat space doesn't surprise me one bit considering how small the overall car is. It's why I had to (sadly) rule the car out for me for the time being. Hopefully in a couple years I can once again afford to have two cars and can get a 4 door truck + a BRZ/FR-S. The lack of headroom is a bit of a concern, as I'm 6'3", but I'm more legs than torso so I might fit better than Noize.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

I think the event is in July so if I go and drive the car, I'll post a review then.

It sounds like it depends heavily on the particular event and comparison. In the one I posted, the Miata was the slowest of the three but didn't rank dead last (tied for 2nd/last with the Genesis ). It's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are more or less the same as the BRZ and the Miata actually posted higher slalom numbers. The cars are very similarly matched, which is a good thing.

Supposedly Toyota/Subaru designed the FRS/BRZ specifically to allow a set of track tires to fit in the back seats.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

once you guys drive them, please do
Old Jun 1, 2012, 03:34 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
once you guys drive them, please do
And until you do, it's all speculation
Old Jun 1, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Pretty cool reviews from Miata owners.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...47#post5799647
Old Jun 1, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

looking closer, the results do seem a little peculiar, now that i look at the r&t article - the subaru brz premium, which is the BASE model, weighs 2960 lbs. a far cry from the 2700lbs that's "given"

both miata and the gen coupe slalomed faster, gen coupe owned it on the testing track, and the miata was only less than half a second slower on this track than the brz.. odd

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ - Streets of Willow Springs