Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

front license plate REALLY required in CA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front license plate REALLY required in CA?

Just a quick question about whether you NEED to have front license plate in CA. I thought you need it, but every bmw, benz, vettes I see out here do not have front license plate. So is it not enforced anymore or does it matter about where you are in CA?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

They only enforce it on beater cars. I was driving in my beater civic before down in Newport Beach then PoPos pulled me over. They said that I got pulled over because I have no front license plate. I'm like... Really? How about that Bentley that just passed by? And how about that Lambo? They don't have one, do they? The officer pretended that he didn't hear anything while writing me a ticket. Justice is served....
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kimfamilyy
Just a quick question about whether you NEED to have front license plate in CA. I thought you need it, but every bmw, benz, vettes I see out here do not have front license plate. So is it not enforced anymore or does it matter about where you are in CA?
Yeah they are. I agree with you that alot of other cars like vettes and other cars dont have them but they can get ticketed as well even though not so many do. But to answer your question, yes they are required! Even if the car doesn't come with a front license plate bracket and you try to use that excuse if you get pulled over by a cop, they will tell you to go to the dealer and have them drill holes lol
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

They only use ticky-tack infractions like that as an application for a warrant if you fit the stereotype that smokes dope or has previous warrants. They figure that once you fail to appear on the citation, they have a 4th amendment waiver for a full search in about 60 days the next time they see your punk-***.

If you are smart, you drive something that doesn't fit that profile (i.e. no fart can exh. or tinted windows in CA etc). You don't actually have to fix fix-it-tickets either. You can fix it, or you can pay the higher amount shown on the ticket that comes in the mail for the problem to go away.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Did DMV issue you 2 plates?if they did you need two.im sure they didnt give you an extra one to hang over your mantle.Oh and just in case ive never seen a license plate bracket on the dashboard either.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:22 PM

I just think it's funny how I see so many cops they just pass by cars with no front license plate attached. Oh well, I guess cops can be biased too since I do not see any beater cars that does not have front license plate.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

I used to own a Scion tC and I didnt have front license plates on it. I used to live near a police station, and everyday I see cops pass by me while driving to and back from work like 10 times. Never gave me a ticket about not having one. But once I drove my civic, I got one immediately. LOL!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a ticket for no front license plate.

in my 2003 corolla.

yeah, they were bored. i'm sure.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

By law you are required to have the front plate. However, most of the time they won't bother to write you up for not having a front plate unless you've committed some other offense.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:15 AM

I just leave the front plate on to avoid the hassle of getting such a lame ticket. Much worse is running into the "anti-import" blockades in the San Diego area where they tell you any mod to your car is illegal, and give you the ultimate fix-it tickets...
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

It's only if the cops are bored do they pull you over for things like window tints and front plates..
Old Jun 13, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

in reality , most leo's have more important things to do than waste time pulling someone over because they do not have a front license plate.

but , as someone else mentioned...........

.........if they want to pull you over to check out you , your passengers , your car.

that would be their "reason" to pull you over.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:09 PM

yeah they are required. all those other cars dont have them, but as soon as they see some punk kid in any car, even a corrvette, bently or lambo, that will be there reason to pull you over.

i was pulled over because the cop said " if that car wasnt in front of you, you would have speed away, so im going to write you a tint/no front plate ticket." i was like seriously? its bull shiz considering 93% of the cars dont have one. oh well
Old Jun 14, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

yes, both are required. In major cities, most cops won't bother to stop you unless it's late at night and they're bored and looking for an excuse to pull you over (blacked out taillights, tint on the front two windows [or windshield], taillight out, etc.) But, in small towns up near the Oregon border where I do a lot of scenic road and Canyon carving, a missing front plate is an easy excuse for a local Sheriff to start the conversation. Not worth it.