Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Drove home in a sleek Silver Evo today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drove home in a sleek Silver Evo today

Well here's the breakdown. I called my dealer today to work on the markup. After seeing the AZ one for MSRP I tried to use that as leverage. It only worked a little. Got it down $500. He insisted I couldn't buy it in AZ and register it here. So that kind of ticked me off. I know I can do it but yes it is a hassle. Then he tells me instead of my car arriving this week as normal it was pushed back until April 4th. According to him this is for ALL EVO's coming in this week. Maybe 2nd allotment. Check with your dealer. SOO right about now I'm miffed. I called a bunch of other dealerships near me to see what they had. Found 3 dealers with Silver. One had sunroof scratched it. Other 2 strangely enough were willing to match my markup if I came in today and bought it. So what did I do.... Left work early hopped in my crappy a$$ Jetta and stormed down there. Shortly after the ORIENTATION video. That's right they make you watch an orientation video on the car and fill out a worksheet. LOL had me cracking up. Oh yea, shortly after I'm the proud new owner of a silver evolution. They had both my silver and black side by side. Man that's a hard decision. Both look amazing. Anyway on to my initial impressions. I know many have spoken about it but I'd like to add some insight for those who are used to sports cars.

1) Clutch is stiffer than avg car. If you've never owned a sports car or aftermarket clutch this may suck for you. Especially in heavy traffic.

2) Fit and finish in this car is awesome. What I mean by this is that the car just felt SOOOO solid and rigid inside and out. Nothing squeaked, rattled, or made any sort of noise whatsoever.

3) Seats are great. Lots of support and comfy. Adjustment sucks but easy to work around.

4) Momo Steering wheel is fantastic. Probably the single most beautiful piece in the whole car. It feels perfect in your hands right down to the awesome grip of the italian leather.

5) Stick shifts easily and smoothly. A little clunk is noticeable but nothing bad. The throw is a little longer than I expected. For most it will seem short and amazing but for others like myself who owned a 97' Turbo Supra, driven the 350Z, Z06. It's a little longer than these. The knob is also a lot smaller making it feel kind of scrawny in your hands.

6) Visibility is excellent out all windows with the exception of the wing in the back. It really does block the center of the window which happens to be where most of the headlights behind you are. Tripped me out at first.

7) Stereo I still need to play with and adjust. So far it sounds ok. Nothing great but not bad at all. Very plain though. Doesn't have mute or other feature buttons.

8) Handling so far is nice. Very precise and sharp. The car really responds to little effort in the wheel. I do think people are making too much of its twitchiness. It may be because I'm used to sports cars that handle great I don't know. I drove it mostly with one hand and even took my hands off to check alignment and never once was alarmed to put my hands on the wheel to keep it straight. Yes the car will feel out the road and will seem like it wants to really go off course but it's nothing uncontrollable or as bad as some have said. You'll get used to it and soon be driving with your knee while macking on a Big Mac.

9)Acceleration is to say the least awesome so far. I was afraid it would be lack luster due to my previous cars but it definitely pulls. Barely touching the throttle on the LOW END gives great response and surge. I never took it past 4K rpms but felt every bit of it. Can't wait to break it in. I do see what people are saying this car rows through gears like MAD. 1st gear ends VERY shortly. I let my wife drive it around the block when I got home and she almost went past the 5K mark. She was shocked and said the car just really wanted to go faster. It kept going faster and faster. I was barely touching the throttle. I just shook my head and said just take it easy. Of course she stalled it after that.

10) The HID lights are killer. I love seeing the shadow adjust on the road. I also got to try the fog lights as I hit some heavy fog on the way home. Didn't seem to help any other than maybe people could see me better.

11) Oh yea, I guess the dealer didn't enable the auto lock/unlock cuz it doesn't do it. Time for a turbo timer.

Oh yea I love this car so far. I can feel the potential in it and can't wait for true testing.

If you're in SoCal check out National City. They have the lowest markup in California that I've found. $3500 but you could probably talk em down if you're ready to go. They still have 2 blacks and a yellow. Possibly more I don't know. They said they had or will have 12 soon.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:19 AM

Congrats
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:20 AM

Just wanted to ask you what factors you chose to go with the EVO instead of the STi. You've owned some pretty nice cars in the past, so you have more say than others.

I'm currently deciding to go with either of the cars. Already got a deposit on a MSRP STi. Yet, the looks of the EVO attract me more.

Congrats on an awesome car.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:32 AM

probably gonna have to visit my cousins house in san diego sometime soon and make a stop to pick something up alsong the way. what salesman did you go to there, so maybe i could use your story to get it at only 500 over as well.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by enthusiast
Just wanted to ask you what factors you chose to go with the EVO instead of the STi. You've owned some pretty nice cars in the past, so you have more say than others.

I'm currently deciding to go with either of the cars. Already got a deposit on a MSRP STi. Yet, the looks of the EVO attract me more.

Congrats on an awesome car.

Cheers. Well to be honest I've just always been an Evo fan. That's the main reason for picking Mitsu over Subu. I also feel there is more potential to this car on the entry level then there is in the Subaru. Based on history and data of past Evos I've just always felt it to be a more tuner friendly car. I don't think they are far off from each other at all. Which is where looks come in. I like the Evo better. I can't stand those bug eyes on the WRX. The STi I'm still undecided on with looks. I honestly don't think you'll go wrong with either car. Both have great history and both make awesome power. It should end up coming down to looks I think for most. Because the power is there in both cars regardless of what people think. Handling is superb in both as well. If you can wait give it some time and see what the tests are between the two. Otherwise I say go with the Evo and you won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DaBMan
probably gonna have to visit my cousins house in san diego sometime soon and make a stop to pick something up alsong the way. what salesman did you go to there, so maybe i could use your story to get it at only 500 over as well.
Hehe talk to either Bernard (don't know last name) or Daniel Romero. I have to say both were very cool and this was one of the most pleasant car buying experiences I've ever had. It was almost surreal how easy it was and how cool they were being. I haven't felt that at any other dealership. I usually want to get the hell out when I'm at a dealership.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

You think the new STi is still bug-eyed?
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:11 AM
Evolving Member

the STi is sweet. I also have a MSRP #1 slot at a dealer for the STi, but I ordered my Evo instead. I think the Evo looks best in silver, whereas the STi doesn't look as good in silver. I also think the 4G63 is a tough engine and will work really well with mods. I also kind of like the interior of the Evo over the STi. After comparing the two I like the simpler look of the Evo over the bright blue and black STi.

On a technical note I like the Evo's rear suspension setup (mulit-link) over the MacPherson strut all around on the STi. I feel the Evo is going to be an overall better performer on the track, whereas the STi is more understeer, throw me around, born to rally on gravel kind of car.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:28 AM

They are both great vehicles. It is up to each person to decide with no bias about which one they like best. Each offers a distinct style and value to the market. At the very best you will be happy with either one.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:33 AM

This is what makes the decision hard....
Attached Thumbnails Drove home in a sleek Silver Evo today-japan-autosalon-20232.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by alfredob1
You think the new STi is still bug-eyed?
Naw now they look like bug eyes squinting a little. They're just not appealing headlights on that thing. Sorry just my opinion. Not a bad looking car overall but as I said I just prefer the Evo's looks and I think the deciding factor for a lot of people between the two will be based on that. The performance is too close on both cars.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

No kidding. Well before I completely forget, congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new ride. Maybe we'll meet up sometime (I'm in Chula Vista).

edit: spell check.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:50 AM

congrats on the purchase. i'm debating if i should buy one up here in seattle or not. we'll see
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Evilution

Naw now they look like bug eyes squinting a little. They're just not appealing headlights on that thing. Sorry just my opinion. Not a bad looking car overall but as I said I just prefer the Evo's looks and I think the deciding factor for a lot of people between the two will be based on that. The performance is too close on both cars.
You have to admit, though, that the redesigned front fascia of the WRX/STi looks a TON better than the old(previous) design.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Drove home in a sleek Silver Evo today

Originally posted by Evilution

1) Clutch is stiffer than avg car. If you've never owned a sports car or aftermarket clutch this may suck for you. Especially in heavy traffic.
You think so? I sat in one last night at the dealer and the clutch felt so light to me. Then again I've been driving on a really stiff ACT clutch for about the last year, so I'm completely used to that. I guess my perception is just skewed.

Quick Reply: Drove home in a sleek Silver Evo today