Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

SMC pump, kicking on at 18psi?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMC pump, kicking on at 18psi?

Both my pots on the controller are set to their max, 25/26 respectively...
Been trying to make the most power using only 93 and under that 25psi threshold. Somewhere in the night, the pump started kicking in below 25psi... I turned the boost all they way down to 15, and the pump didnt twitch.. .at 18psi... she is kicking on...

2am, Im tired... Thought Id post after looking briefly though the searchs...

Any thoughts?

Off to bed, another day..

Oh yeah....
Im going to wire in a on off button that will controll the box...
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:57 AM

Is there a .pdf version of the install instructions, for the smc kit?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 08:22 AM

So far, Ive regrounded the controller and pump, checked for boost leaks... anythoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

25/26 setting!? Why is your 'start' spray point so high?

The 'start' trim pot should be around 10-15psi. and 'max' trim pot should be around 24-26psi. You might want to turn down the 'start' to 10-15psi and see what happens.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:02 PM

To answer you quesion of why:

I wanted to make as much power on straight 93 octane as possible. This will be what I run on the street, day by day, week by week.
My plan was to run as much boost as possible, without needing to run the meth.
From the data collected with the pump off, logging the other night, I saw 24.5lbs of boost, no knock and timing at 19 degrees at 5600rpm. The power was there. Intake temperatures were a whopping 54 degrees... Beauty of an effecient turbo (gt35r) and a big nasty fmic... Granted, things will change when it gets 90 degrees out, but none the less... Its a work in progress.

I contacted Steve from SMC, in a nut shell he stated that the pump controller wasnt designed to operate in the manner Im trying to use it. The two pots are basically a span in which the pump kicks on, and then goes full bore... "things act weird when set to the extreme.".

Im still interested in running the car without the smc kit being activated, so I will wire in a switch for now to turn it off. Steve prompted me to send the control unit, with the pump in to be gone through... That speaks volumes about the company, being able and more than willing to service a product that is now more than a year old.

The new version 3.0 controller will be out in the next few months, its in its prototype form now and is being beta tested.

This new version will sense whether or not the supply line to the UICP has pressure, the controller will have the ability to run only wastegate spring pressure boost, if the pressure on the pump line fails. Nice safety feature, my hats off to SMC.

In the long run, I still desire the ability to run in the middle 20's on pump gas alone, and hope that SMC can increase the start point for the pump to turn on.

Thanks Steve, my kit will be off, packed and shipped to you this week.

Dan

Last edited by spyonu2007; Mar 20, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spyonu2007
Both my pots on the controller are set to their max, 25/26 respectively...
Been trying to make the most power using only 93 and under that 25psi threshold. Somewhere in the night, the pump started kicking in below 25psi... I turned the boost all they way down to 15, and the pump didnt twitch.. .at 18psi... she is kicking on...

2am, Im tired... Thought Id post after looking briefly though the searchs...

Any thoughts?

Off to bed, another day..

Oh yeah....
Im going to wire in a on off button that will controll the box...
It sounds to me like your dial on your controller is not accurate or the boost sensor on the controller is misreading the boost line.

When I got tuned by Al I had mine set up at 16psi start point and 25 PSI ending point. I lower my start point to 10psi.

Definately your boost and the boost setup on your controller are a bit off.

my .2c

Carlos
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

OK, now it makes sense what your trying to do. I can see SMC's point how the span being too close can cause the issues your having. Those tiny trim pots are not very accurate and hard to visually adjust. Hopefully they can somehow fix or tweak the controller for your range. Good luck.

Originally Posted by spyonu2007
To answer you quesion of why:

I wanted to make as much power on straight 93 octane as possible. This will be what I run on the street, day by day, week by week.
My plan was to run as much boost as possible, without needing to run the meth.
From the data collected with the pump off, logging the other night, I saw 24.5lbs of boost, no knock and timing at 19 degrees at 5600rpm. The power was there. Intake temperatures were a whopping 54 degrees... Beauty of an effecient turbo (gt35r) and a big nasty fmic... Granted, things will change when it gets 90 degrees out, but none the less... Its a work in progress.

I contacted Steve from SMC, in a nut shell he stated that the pump controller wasnt designed to operate in the manner Im trying to use it. The two pots are basically a span in which the pump kicks on, and then goes full bore... "things act weird when set to the extreme.".

Im still interested in running the car without the smc kit being activated, so I will wire in a switch for now to turn it off. Steve prompted me to send the control unit, with the pump in to be gone through... That speaks volumes about the company, being able and more than willing to service a product that is now more than a year old.

The new version 3.0 controller will be out in the next few months, its in its prototype form now and is being beta tested.

This new version will sense whether or not the supply line to the UICP has pressure, the controller will have the ability to run only wastegate spring pressure boost, if the pressure on the pump line fails. Nice safety feature, my hats off to SMC.

In the long run, I still desire the ability to run in the middle 20's on pump gas alone, and hope that SMC can increase the start point for the pump to turn on.

Thanks Steve, my kit will be off, packed and shipped to you this week.

Dan
Old Mar 20, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
It sounds to me like your dial on your controller is not accurate or the boost sensor on the controller is misreading the boost line.

When I got tuned by Al I had mine set up at 16psi start point and 25 PSI ending point. I lower my start point to 10psi.

Definately your boost and the boost setup on your controller are a bit off.

my .2c

Carlos

Thats what gets me. It was doing exactly what I wanted for the first hour of tuning, or even two.. then something failed, or changed...

Ill keep at it, at this point, Im leaning towards the box failing, but will test what I can inhouse.. From there... I will rely on the changes in the 3.0 version to take it, or create my own on/off preesure transducer swtich that will kick on the alkey at the desired psi...

Fun stuff.