Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Intake temperatures and pre turbo injection

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake temperatures and pre turbo injection

How many people out there are using pre turbo water/meth injection and what sort of intake temperatures to you get?

I've just installed my kit with small injector pre turbo and larger injector 12" back from throttle body and have been recording temperatures at the throttle body.

So far with 11psi boost without water/meth temperatures are hitting 190+ deg Celsius

With water/meth the temperatures are about 170 deg C.

I should also mention I removed the intercooler with the hope of getting similar effectiveness from the pre turbo injection. Unfortunately I didn't measure the temp at throttle body before I removed it so will probably refit it for further testing.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:27 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Do it and post the results! I've jokingly told others to do this, would be great to see some solid numbers!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scheides
Do it and post the results! I've jokingly told others to do this, would be great to see some solid numbers!
Here are some charts you might like to see for pre-turbo injection and others.
http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=559

Didn't mean to hijack but within context.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:04 AM

Thanks for that....they definitely add merit to the discussion.

If I'm reading the article right the guy had 30 deg temps at the throttle body with no WI and when he did inject it got hotter???

Next week I'll change the pre turbo injector to a bigger one and see what happens.

If anyone has any other results then please reply!!!

Cheers
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

I am not sure why, perhaps there are other factors. I have not looked into in detail.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 03:34 AM

Bit of an update.....

Put biggest injector nozzle I have in before the turbo and a matching one a foot before the throttle but measured air temps are still in excess of 170 deg Celsius without water/meth.

I got a new piece of hardware to specifically record temperatures on my laptop but the response time is too slow to be of any use so temps are only being logged via the "mate" system strapped to the passengers seat

Put intercooler back on (no small feat) and did a few tests today. Temperatures seem a lot more stable, they fluctuated rapidly with no cooler but now they are smooth changes.

Testing out high loads I got 170 deg Celsius @29psi of boost with the cooler on and no water/meth. This is the same temperature I got with no cooler @ 11psi with water/meth.

More testing to come tomorrow....
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested in pre turbo injection. Is this safe with 50/50 meth water?

MB
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

From what I have read, it is safer to inject 100% meth pre-turbo, versus 50/50 or 100% H2o because the specific gravity of pure methanol is .792 @ 68° F compared to water which is 1.00 @ 64° F.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:17 PM

So you are only seeing a 20C drop with spray? What % and how much are you spraying? Progressive controller, settings etc. Have you tried with just the preturbo nozzle?

Another longer one to read is this one

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=267

Remember that water will not reduce your intake temps, it's for the CC, meth is for the pipes. The IM on mine was much cooler at 50% meth than it was at 25%, and 12% didn't do anything to the IM.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kelvinTME
If I'm reading the article right the guy had 30 deg temps at the throttle body with no WI and when he did inject it got hotter???

Maybe the sensor heat soaked quicker from the moisture for the duration of the run. Or maybe the cooler became saturated and lost it's effect. Who knows, but the pre-turbo method was implemented years ago in turbo buick days as a method to go without intercooling

I will be trying a very small nozzle spraying right into the compressor wheel, an on/off rig with a seperate pump, it's ground will just go over a hobbs switch for now. The orignal pre-TB system will still be in place and running.

Just avoid any possible puddling conditions which will eat the compressor wheel ends. And the more you spray, the more O2 will be displaced, but this can be overcome with denser charge. Just need to find the sweet spot

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Aug 21, 2009 at 03:27 PM.