Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Carbonetic "Full Blade" clutch kit review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Carbonetic "Full Blade" clutch kit review

This is a review of the Carbonetic "Full Blade" clutch kit. It consists of a 4-puck disk, a 3200 lb pull pressure plate, and a slightly lightened 12 lb flywheel that has a kind of nitride coating applied to it to help resist heat and probably provide better friction. This kit is not the Blade Pro system that uses all different parts (push pressure plate, slightly smaller diameter disk, different flywheel), but the pull pressure plate and disk in the Full Blade kit have been around for some time. The nitrided flywheel is the new part of the equation.

The advertised break-in is about 150 miles, and I've got about 1000 miles on it now. The daily drivability of this clutch is amazing. Its everything I could want in a daily driver clutch, e.g, its very easy to modulate when pulling away from a stop (including on hills), the clutch engages consistently at the same height, the pedal pressure increase over stock is minimal, there is no hint of clutch chatter, and there is no decel noise or clutch-pressed noise. Without a doubt, its much easier to daily drive than the stock clutch ever was. A key improvement for me over the stock clutch is the consistent engagement height and engagement characteristics. I'm very impressed with the clutch for daily driving.

There are three performance aspects that I think most people consider:

High rpm shifting - 8000 rpm shifts are flawless. Not much else to say on that.

Power holding - Its holding WOT 1st-4th gear pulls on the street with 400 ft-lbs of torque and 485 whp. Carbonetic indicates that the clutch is only good to ~400 ft-lbs. I fully expect that my torque level will increase back up to 420 ft-lbs when the weather cools off a bit more, so its going to be interesting to see how well it holds in the winter.

Launches - Carbonetic advertises this clutch as a daily driver / road course clutch and recommends against launching with it. I have not and will not launch this clutch, but I will say that its so easy to modulate from a stop that it almost begs to be launched. Interestingly though, Carbonetic does say that if its going to be launched, then the best way is to release it very quickly and not really try to actively modulate it during the launch.

My overall impression is that it will be a great daily driver clutch for my needs.

Last edited by mrfred; Sep 15, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump. Just looking for updates as I am considering this clutch
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

it continues to be an awesome daily driver that is now holding 450 ft-lbs and 535 whp. super easy to modulate in stop-n-go driving and shifts perfect at 8000 rpm. i have no idea if it can take any launches though.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a good replacement for the CC Stage 2 that's not working out for me.

Couple questions:
1. Have you taken the car to the track (road course)? Wondering how it handles long sessions (30-40min).
2. Have you ever had a chance to check wear through the starter port?
3. Is this a $1500 kit? Sounds like you got a flywheel with it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Nimpoc
Sounds like a good replacement for the CC Stage 2 that's not working out for me.

Couple questions:
1. Have you taken the car to the track (road course)? Wondering how it handles long sessions (30-40min).
2. Have you ever had a chance to check wear through the starter port?
3. Is this a $1500 kit? Sounds like you got a flywheel with it.
- only seen street duty. circuit course duty is what its supposed to be for.
- haven't looked.
- i thought it was closer to $1k. it does come with a flywheel. its about 2 lbs lighter than stock and the friction surface is nitrided. actually, the whole thing is nitrided.

a problem however is that carbonetic is out of business. i think someone mentioned in another thread that the clutch kit is still available through ats (carbonetic was a spinoff/partner of ats). it you can afford $2.3k, the ats twin is supposed to be a fantasic clutch. every review i've read on it has been overwhelmingly positive.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like it might be back in production / updated:
http://www.ppi-ats.com/Carbon_blade_...de_clutch.html
https://www.facebook.com/ATSTractionMY

Super funny translation:
http://translate.google.com/translat...ade-clutch.php
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:26 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah, i noticed a few weeks ago that the standard blade is back. rather surprising that they rated it to only 320 ft-lbs. that must be the launch-rated value because its holding 420 ft-lbs atw on my evo with no launches.

i hadn't noticed the super blade. 376 ft-lb isn't much better. the standard blade also uses a 1600 kg pressure plate, so i guess the super blade disk has a little more bite.