Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tirado Custom Coatings (Carlos)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down Tirado Custom Coatings (Carlos)

I have always been impressed by the by pics of valvecovers/brakes coated by Carlos at Tirado Custom Coatings. Seems like a lot of big names go to him to get their stuff coated. When the time came, I knew I wanted Carlos to powdercoat my valvecover. The only way to get in touch with him lately has been through Facebook so when he posted that he had 2 Evo 9 valvecovers ready to be coated on an exchange basis, I immediately sent payment. This was in early July.

Rapidly approaching September here and no valvecover. Interesting because, on July 9th, Carlos sent me a message saying my valvecover was "almost ready". That was the last I heard from him. I have sent no fewer than 3 messages. No response. Meanwhile, he has posted a few more pics on Facebook. So it's not like the guy got hurt or something and hasn't been able to see the messages.

Then last week someone posted this on his page. Seems I'm not the only one left out to dry. This is unacceptable. If, for whatever reason, he can't get the work done/shipped out, he should just say so and refund the money. I've been waiting almost 2 months for a valvecover to show off at meets. Now summer is over. Thanks for the awesome customer service Carlos!

I have no doubt the coatings from Carlos are top notch when you actually get them. For now I would highly recommend staying away from Tirado Custom Coatings.

Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ I agree. Appearantly TCC thinks the world revolves aroud them and everyone is on their clock. I hate it when companies fail to update customers on the status of their order. Especially after the OP has been waiting nearly two months for a valve cover which was ready to ship on an exchange basis. Totally unacceptable.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I read this. I was ready to send calipers and a valve cover. If I had to wait that long I would flip.. keep this updated.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used TCC before, a few years back. I had issues with them back then and it seems it hasn't changed. I was gonna give them a second chance and have them do my brownbos but glad I never sent my calipers to him.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a different view.

I had a great deal of parts coated by him. Manifolds, turbo, o2 housing.

Turn around time was pretty good.

I even tested the effectiveness of this coating.. it was SUBSTANTIAL!

Fast forward 3 years.

The coating has completely worn off/rusted off/flaked off and it looks like complete ***.... I actually refused to open the hood at the shoot out because of how much of an eye sore it is.

What worries me more is if that's what the outside looks like.. what the heck is going on inside the turbo... manifold.. etc.

All of my parts will be coming off and going to swaintech this winter.

I've had enough of the crappy ceramic wanna-be coatings. I want something that is proven to be indestructible.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xRoguex
I have a different view.

I had a great deal of parts coated by him. Manifolds, turbo, o2 housing.

Turn around time was pretty good.

I even tested the effectiveness of this coating.. it was SUBSTANTIAL!

Fast forward 3 years.

The coating has completely worn off/rusted off/flaked off and it looks like complete ***.... I actually refused to open the hood at the shoot out because of how much of an eye sore it is.

What worries me more is if that's what the outside looks like.. what the heck is going on inside the turbo... manifold.. etc.

All of my parts will be coming off and going to swaintech this winter.

I've had enough of the crappy ceramic wanna-be coatings. I want something that is proven to be indestructible.
Sounds like you need unobtainum. I am looking to so let me know when you find it.

Unfortunately all coatings that I have seen flake in time. Including swain coatings.

It is terrible to hear that Tirado coatings is being so flaky. I don't know what happened but even if you chose not to preform customers work after they have paid for it (very unprofessional), the customer should be contacted and refunded money or be given what they paid for.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn. I saw this post and i was like wow. Yup that was me who posted that on facebook. I thought i'm the only one having this issue. I got my IX valve cover powder coated by him not too long ago too. I got it and swap it with my OEM one and send it back to him to get my core exchange. No problem. Then he posted the calipers on his facebook and he hit me up if i am interested. Then i was. Paypaled him my money and until now,i am still waiting for the package. I hope i get it this week or next week then i am done dealing with them. I PM'ed Bob on here. He is the moderator AKA speedlimit. I asked him for some advise. He told me to file a dispute on paypal but the next day, Carlos posted the reply on facebook so i immediately updated Bob about it. I hope i can get my IX calipers.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out some of the pics/work here, someone who actually cares about powdercoating and their customers.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/justinspowdercoating
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

wow thanks guys. i live in texas also. was gonna just send it in to them. thanks for this review. i will NOT go to ttc.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sho669
Check out some of the pics/work here, someone who actually cares about powdercoating and their customers.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/justinspowdercoating

Yup.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
In TX Specialty Powder Coating is the best.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Fresh off Facebook

Tirado Custom Coatings
We are currently no longer accepting any out of state orders. We're not going anywhere, but simply focusing on larger projects that we have lined up and local work. We apologize about the inconvenience about the last orders we have, those will be completed asap and be on their way to our customers.

We do have 2 Evo 9 valve covers that we are looking to sell (coated color of your choice) as well as (1) set of Evo calipers that can be coated the color of your choice. After these are sold we will not be shipping or receiving any more out of state work. Message us for more details.

-Tirado Custom Coatings
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
Sounds like you need unobtainum. I am looking to so let me know when you find it.

Unfortunately all coatings that I have seen flake in time. Including swain coatings.

It is terrible to hear that Tirado coatings is being so flaky. I don't know what happened but even if you chose not to preform customers work after they have paid for it (very unprofessional), the customer should be contacted and refunded money or be given what they paid for.
Swaintech + Clear engine enamel lasts for a long time.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Swaintech + Clear engine enamel lasts for a long time.
Or swaintech + any color engine enamel. I never liked the look of the "white lightning" as it just got dirty far too long, so I paint over it with VHT's "Flameproof" or whatever their highest temp paint was in "Titanium" or "cast iron" and the color lasts and sticks.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We do have 2 Evo 9 valve covers that we are looking to sell (coated color of your choice) as well as (1) set of Evo calipers that can be coated the color of your choice. After these are sold we will not be shipping or receiving any more out of state work. Message us for more details.

-Tirado Custom Coatings
Wow. This better mean mine is already en route.

Last edited by Blitz; Aug 24, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Tirado Custom Coatings (Carlos)