Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Thank you APR Performance...product and customer service review.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you APR Performance...product and customer service review.

I purchased the APR GTC-200 for my Evo X yesterday. When I got ready to install it, I noticed that the trunk plate holes did not line up w/ my OEM wing mounting holes. I have a GSR non-sss w/ the OEM Aero kit, which comes with a trunk lip spoiler. I removed my wing and plugged the holes when I first got the car, because both of them together clashed, and I didn't like it. Fast forward 2 years, and I'm ready to buy an APR wing.

On APR's site, it says it fits the 2008+ Evolution in ALL models and uses the original mounting holes. There is only one part number for this part. When the holes didn't match up, I called APR. I spoke w/ J. Lee and sent him some pics upon request. I received a call back within 5 min! We found out that the low wing for the Evo's have a different hole pattern, and APR made the plates to fit high wing trunks not knowing they were any different.

Immediately he offered to fix the problem and asked what I wanted to do. If I wanted to keep it or not, was I comfortable w/ drilling holes, did I want a custom plate made, etc... I told him that I did want the wing and he asked me to bring the car down at 10AM this morning.

Before leaving to APR, I noticed that the trunk plates would not fit w/ the OEM trunk lip spoiler (also seen in the pic above). So I decided to remove it so there weren't any issues at APR. As you know, Mitsu likes 3M sticky tape, and it was everywhere when I took it off. There was dirt stuck to dirt and 2 year old mud under it, and I didn't have time to clean it before leaving.

I got to the facility and was greeted by J. Lee outside (i'm sure he heard me coming), and he was ready to discuss options. We decided to use the Evo 8/9 plate since they just had to drill 1 hole and tap one hole in the bottom of the pedestal's for it to fit. This way I did not have to drill any extra holes in the trunk. An hour and a half later, and a foot massage (no joke), and the car was done.

Here is a rundown of events:

I bought the wing from SP Engineering on Monday at noon, found out it didn't fit at 1, had the answer from APR as to "why?" at 1:30 and an appointment scheduled. Got there at 10 this morning, and the car was done at 11:30. AND THEY CLEANED MY TRUNK! All of the dirt, sticky ****...everything...spotless. Customer service was out of control, amazing. Thank you APR for the above average service and an AMAZING product.

Pics:

Thanks again,

plan:b
Old Jun 23, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!! I like it.... So there's no mounting plate for the non-sss?? Planning to get one..

Any pics of the mounting plate?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jkc213
Nice!! I like it.... So there's no mounting plate for the non-sss?? Planning to get one..

Any pics of the mounting plate?
Thanks!

The mounting plate in the first pic is the Evo X plate. That will only fit the Evo X's with the "high" wing. As of now, there is no plate for the "low" wing Evo. We are using the 8/9 plate for my car. It is just a rectangle 2 hole plate instead of having 3 holes for the 10.

Follow me here...

The 10 has 3 holes on each side in the trunk for both "high" and "low" wing versions. 2 on the sides, and one offset in the middle as seen in the pic. I think the one in the middle on the "high" wing has a threaded nut under it so the bolt goes through the top.

The middle hole on the "low" wing trunk does not have a nut. It accommodates a clip that is fixed to the wing. There is no access to get a nut in there because it is covered by sheet metal on the inside. Therefore, I could not use middle hole at all.

So APR had to drill a hole in the plate, and then tap a new hole in the pedestal as well as put new mounting hardware on the wing itself for the pedestals. The Evo 8/9 plate does not cover my middle hole completely, but I don't really care. I have it covered with a color matched sticker as you can see in the pic.

If you have a non-sss, I would advise you to call APR and ask for Johnny. He can give you more information on options for you
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear they took care of you... so often things dont go so well. Helps you were near them too ;-)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you pm me how much did you pay for this??

have you been to sonic(fullerton) meet??

Last edited by jkc213; Jun 23, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 01:20 PM

Hey I'll take that 350 right now