Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread

As many of you may have seen, we recently put our custom intercooler/intake kits into production. We are running a group of 10 beta testers to test each kit on asthetics, performance, and fitment. This thread is designed to document each of our beta testers experience with the kit. As of right now, our first 12 preliminary kits are in stock however we're just waiting on the silicone hoses to arrive. Once they do, we will be starting the installation/tuning process. The next batch of 25 kits are scheduled to arrive next week sometime so I will keep everyone updated.

Original Beta testing thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...o-package.html

Pics of the kit:

Here are 5 of the kits which we just sent out for powdercoating:

Dimitri@Akuma
Marketing/Sales Executive
Dimitri@Akumamotorsports.com
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:58 AM
Former Sponsor

We put our first kit on one of the cars at our shop. Our overall impression was fantastic. Everything fits great, looks good, and we couldn't be happier. Here are some pics of the process!

Dimitri@akuma
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kit looks amazing, can't wait to get it. No heat shield though? Also because of the bend before the MAF, will there be any difficulties in tuning?

Last edited by AWDTerror; Mar 20, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

everything looks very clean just a little plain to me.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
Kit looks amazing, can't wait to get it. No heat shield though? Also because of the bend before the MAF, will there be any difficulties in tuning?
The kit does not include a heat shield, however we may offer it separately if it becomes an issue. We made a custom one for our shop car seen here:

Originally Posted by Black Momba
everything looks very clean just a little plain to me.
The pipes come in brushed aluminum, however we did offer the option of powdercoating to everyone who was a beta tester. So far we did flat black, dormant orange, dormant purple, floss black, and transparent rasberry. Here are some examples.

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Mar 22, 2011, 02:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
The kit does not include a heat shield, however we may offer it separately if it becomes an issue. We made a custom one for our shop car seen here:

Dimitri@Akuma
When I first sent you a pm about the beta testing, you said the heatshield was included... How much more is it if I wanna add it?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

I will happily include the shield if you want it. The design of the intake may eliminate the need for it. We will have to see as testing goes. Either way, we can work it out for you.

The intake design is very easy to tune...about a 12 -15% global change for the increased diameter. The design turns the filter away from the fans, and the MAF is at the end of the longest straight piece of tubing. It gives the air a chance to starighten out before hitting the sensor. I do not like to have the MAF right at the filter. It can lend itself to tuning irregularities unless you have air straighteners.... Something we tested ad nauseam at Cobb...lol Early testing was showing 12% was with in normal limits, but I tune the MAF to pull a little fuel, that way if the MAF were to fail, you would fail rich rather than lean. I will post up a tuned MAF curve for the intake for the community too.

Should have the Nomex(looks like silicone...better heat characteristics) couplers here Tuesday...FINALLY!!!! I hate waiting...probably as much as the beta testers do...lol

John
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

AHH tuesday!!! I cant wait. I am having my pipes powdercoated locally along with a bunch of other parts.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet! Can't wait!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by AkumaMotorsport
I will happily include the shield if you want it. The design of the intake may eliminate the need for it. We will have to see as testing goes. Either way, we can work it out for you.

The intake design is very easy to tune...about a 12 -15% global change for the increased diameter. The design turns the filter away from the fans, and the MAF is at the end of the longest straight piece of tubing. It gives the air a chance to starighten out before hitting the sensor. I do not like to have the MAF right at the filter. It can lend itself to tuning irregularities unless you have air straighteners.... Something we tested ad nauseam at Cobb...lol Early testing was showing 12% was with in normal limits, but I tune the MAF to pull a little fuel, that way if the MAF were to fail, you would fail rich rather than lean. I will post up a tuned MAF curve for the intake for the community too.

Should have the Nomex(looks like silicone...better heat characteristics) couplers here Tuesday...FINALLY!!!! I hate waiting...probably as much as the beta testers do...lol

John
I worked out the heatshield thing with Dimitri over the phone a couple days ago...

Does the intake require a tune to drive with it? My tuner is about 2 hours away, I was gonna put on the intake and drive there the next day for the tune, is that safe? Or maybe you could send me a base map to get me to my tuner... Btw, Planning to have Aaron (JohnBradley forum name) @ English tune it...
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:18 PM

outstanding!!! can't wait to go up there and transform my engine bay
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:21 AM

I'm very excited about this! Looks great John+Dimitri! Can't wait to get this badboy installed.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WARRIORVR38DETT
I'm very excited about this! Looks great John+Dimitri! Can't wait to get this badboy installed.
We just dropped your girls intercooler pipes off to the powdercoaters. They're going to be sick!!!

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I worked out the heatshield thing with Dimitri over the phone a couple days ago...

Does the intake require a tune to drive with it? My tuner is about 2 hours away, I was gonna put on the intake and drive there the next day for the tune, is that safe? Or maybe you could send me a base map to get me to my tuner... Btw, Planning to have Aaron (JohnBradley forum name) @ English tune it...
John said that it will most likely not run without a proper tune however he will certainly send you a base map to get you going! We can go over that once these couplers arrive. Hope this helps!

Dimitri@Akuma
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor

The couplers are here! I will be calling everyone this week/early next week to schedule and ship out the intercooler pipes. Here is the 2nd car we did with our new Akuma full-intercooler piping kit. It just so happened Frank was one of the beta testers and was here as the couplers showed up. Enjoy, everyone!

Dimitri@Akuma
Marketing/Sales Executive
Dimitri@Akumamotorsports.com
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

If ya can, send mine out as soon as you can. I need to get them powder coated here along with a bunch of other parts. Thanks John and Dimitri. I understand how the industry gets sometimes. People make promise that can't always keep like the couplers!

Quick Reply: AKUMA MOTORSPORTS full intercooler kit/intake review thread