Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Carbonetic carbon twin-disc clutch

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbonetic carbon twin-disc clutch

I have had this clutch in my car for a little while now and decided to finally stop being lazy and do a writeup on it

First of all I looked at a lot of the different clutches out there before settling on this one. There are lots of pros and cons for all of them, so I'm not going to rehash the myriad of debates that have already taken place, I'm just going to say my thoughts on this one.

First of all the clutch came with great instructions, including those on how to change from the pull to push type system. Install will probably be pretty identical to any other clutch.

Weight wise, it was quite a bit lighter than the old stocker which came off with 40k miles on it, and not a lot of material left on the disc.

Stock was 31.08 lbs with flywheel

Carbonetic was 23.98 with flywheel

Installed

Break in went smoothly, so on to driving impressions.

This clutch is easy to drive. I mean it. I was expecting it to be a bit of a beast, but I don't dread hitting stop and go driving at all (though I have stalled it on occasion not paying attention, this thing will grab when warm ) When the clutch is warm, it has no problem gripping and holding on launches (though I'm more of a road racer). I tried a launch, using the technique I used to with the old clutch, and I got 0 slippage, resulting in a bogged engine. Guess I gotta work on the launch control in the old ecu, as well as my technique!

That being said, this is a twin-disc carbon clutch, so it is NOISY. I forget how much so sometimes until someone asks me if there's something wrong with my car. I laugh and just tell them that's my rock polisher I keep under the hood. If someone had a loud exhaust, it probably wouldn't be as noticeable, but my exhaust is pretty quiet (ETS 3" downpipe from their turbo kit, test pipe, and Fujitsubo cat-back). In the car, if I have the a/c or heater on, and the stereo on at all, I usually can't hear the clutch noise at all though. I tried to make a video of the clutch noise inside the car, but it did not pick up well enough to hear.

However I did make this one outside of the car to give you an idea. You can hear that I idle the car with the clutch out, then in, then rev it both ways, etc. This is in my garage, so it's kind of a "worse case scenario" as far as noise (lots of echo to make the clutch louder) but it gets the point across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUDs5ODIKyk

Overall, I'm highly impressed with this clutch. Easy to drive, grips great, and though it sounds loud outside, inside my car I rarely notice it anymore.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Nice review. How is the shifting?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How much hp was you making and how many mile's you ran this?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred
Nice review. How is the shifting?
It shifts quite well, really smooth, and seems to allow higher RPM shifts and better rev-matching for down-shifting then before. At any rate it all works very smooth and crisp.

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
How much hp was you making and how many mile's you ran this?
I have about 3k miles on it, but I'm currently de-tuned to redo the tuning on my car, but it's seen some pretty good abuse since being installed.

I will probably eventually settle in the 400-450whp range, but the potential is there for more.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 09:56 AM

thx much for the great review!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome review.

I have the triple with over 30K miles on it. Love this clutch.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:53 PM
Account Disabled

Great write up....i also have a carbonetic twin im so use to the noise by now i dont even recognize it till a passenger brings it up....for the money great clutch
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Any updates on drivability? Noise gotten worse (or better)?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:29 PM

how heavy is the peddle? do you daily drive this? if so any problems? my exedy killed my knee after awhile!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

ive had this same clutch in my car and have had it for years now, a lil noisy but shifts awesome and fast! the only downside is the price to rebuild them... u might as well buy a new clutch kit for the money they charge for the rebuild! all in all though its a great clutch and holds alot of power and peddle is lighter then stock