Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD Installed Ohlins DFV R&T Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 04:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After the end of last year’s season, I came to the conclusion that my suspension setup clearly needed some work. When I first started the hobby of auto-x, I wasn’t (and with no intention of) being all that competitive. With that said, my first setup migration from stock was the stock struts with MR Swift springs.

The MR Swift springs on stock struts was an awesome setup for road use and pretty damn spiffy the first season I had it on the course. My issues started when I got more comfortable with the cars entry speeds. Anyone that knows the Evo is well aware of how easy it is to go in a bit hot. With that, and the fact that I had also done another power up at CBRD, the suspension was clearly not holding up to what I needed it for. Let me preface the following example photos with this: I do not think that the Swift spring setup is bad in any way and, in fact, I would recommend it as a good setup in that price point. They have pretty damn good handling in spirited driving and one of the best stances you can get within that budget. However it just wasn’t matching up to my driving style on the track, all-be-it a tad insane.

In those two images, you can see that the amount of roll was noticeable. So of course, I emailed Chad at CBRD. I stated my issue, added the pics, hit the send button and waited. Thankfully, Chad is used to how I do things by now. Yes, I’ll look up pricing on stuff from time to time, but other than that, I leave the research, development, parts acquisition, installation and mountain dew provisions to him

When Chad came back to me with a few options, I deliberated on them and ultimately we decided to go with the new Ohlins DFV R&T setup. That was the extent of my input there. Chad got with Ohlins and setup the order with the custom spring rates that would best suit my needs (yes, the rears are stiffer) and got them installed (with, of course, a matching alignment). Then came the fun part… the pick up. Right off the bat, the car felt much more planted and significantly more flat in turns.

Here are the three most important notes I want to highlight:
  • First and foremost, the cornering
    • The car now exhibits much improved turning response. I would dare say it caught me off guard at first as the same steering inputs I used before would now almost dive the car in sooner than I would expect it to. After getting used to it, I came to enjoy and love every corner more than ever before.
    • Broken corners, as I like to call them, seem to have little effect on the cars stability. I have taken the car through corners with the surface integrity of a shelling test sight without having the car get upset enough to feel any real loss of traction.
    • Rear rotation is blissful in both readiness and predictability. I feel it is very easy to transition from stepping out to outright shenanigans and then back again without every feeling like you really lost it.
    • I thought there would be a good chance of a lot of tripod action with this setup but as you can see, while the inside rear may come close to lifting, it’s not quite off the ground. Keeping in mind that these are low speed corners by comparison, you can take that for what it’s worth.
    • During these turns, the car definitely keeps more level than it ever did before as you can see here:
  • Road feel and comfort
    • This is the big shocker for me: the car feels closer to stock comfort than I would have possibly foreseen. When going over bumps or shallow pot holes, you can hear it work, and sometimes may sound like it should feel pretty harsh, but it simply doesn’t. This setup is beyond phenomenal on the road for a setup that can handle so tightly at speed.
    • The noise factor, so far, is non existent. I know a few people that have said the Ohlins get loud after they settle in but as far as I can tell, they have no clanking what-so-ever. If this changes in any way, I’ll update accordingly.
  • Ride height
    • When I spoke to Chad, I also had told him that I’d rather have the front get lifted a bit higher from the height with the Swifts. This is primarily because my driveway entrance isn’t flat and between that and the body roll I had before, my zero lift kit started looking worse and messier than David Hasslehoff on a hotel room floor! I figured with the added performance of the Ohlins, it wouldn’t be too much of a sacrifice to go up a bit higher and get rid of that headache. Honestly, I have no idea if there was a sacrifice at all! I’m clearing my driveway just fine and still going through corners like a spooked gazelle.

Overall, I would say this is one of the best things I’ve done for my car. I am beyond happy with the product and the installation. I would most definitely recommend this to anyone that wants a decently comfortable ride on the road with a very noticeable performance gain on the track.

Of course, everything has its weaknesses and in the interest of honesty I will state this setups “weakness”. The price tag is not for the faint of heart. Sorry BGE… I’ll get you next time!

Many thanks go out to Chad and the CBRD crew for their continued excellence in vehicle and customer service. I’m also very grateful for their efforts in helping me with my schedule and letting me pick up the car on a Saturday (again). I would also like to thank my bros Lee and Chris for helping with the photo shots.

PS: While the after shots are on private property, they were conducted at similar speeds to the initial photos. Actual track photos to be added asap.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:39 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahmad,

Thanks for your review,

it is always nice to get customer feedback on these type of builds.... Im glad you are happy.

We just did another set for a client, albeit slightly less split/rate, and im curious what he will find also!

cheers

cb
Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a set too...damn good setup. Just curious what springrates did you decide on?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Chad can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's 570/627
Old Apr 7, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice review

quick question though, do you have front and rear sways?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!

Only bar I have is a Perrin rear in the center setting.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good stuff! Car looks like it's a blast to drive! I'm looking to upgrade to some starspecs on my BBS wheels, too!

-Jalal
Old Apr 7, 2010, 01:54 PM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write up sir!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 03:53 AM
Evolving Member

^ Thanks man. You know me, I give credit where it's due
Old Apr 8, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

awesome review, I'm doing a major coilover install here shortly, Did u get a front center roll kit? I here its almost a must for lowered vehicles for competitive driving..
Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:00 AM
Evolving Member

Actually no. I have not! I'm going to be doing this incrementally. After each step, I want to learn the car, find my limits and hers before I progress.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

so the only thing u have on your car is teh ohlins and a swaybar right? wats ur alignment specs?
Old May 26, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Quick update.

Went through an approximate 9 hr session last weekend. (It pays to be friends with the instructors) and all I can say is, my god this setup is amazing. Going into the turns it's so easy to get the car to rotate - as Chad promised - it's ridiculous. That coupled with the response of the BBK, I couldn't help but do it over and over again. Low speed corners to me now are just a matter of fact! Go in a bit hot, kick the tail out and rotate and once I'm pointed where I want to go, wake the BBK and pull right out. A couple of the instructors couldn't help but ask to have a couple runs in my car. With both pride and dismay, I can say, they EASILY put down the fastest lap time that day in my car. For now, I'm happy to have put down the fastest non professional lap time. That's something I am beyond pleased with this setup.

On another note, that same day, I was running with an SS Camaro and a GT R35. Both cars (especially the GT R35) where wicked cars! The GT R35 on it's launch control was monstrous! Then again, this particular one was modded to about 600hp

PS: Still no noise from my suspension.
Old May 26, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review. Going to CBRD late June to get my Ohlin's R&T installed as well. We were going to start at a 570/570 spring rate. Also doing the Perrin sway bar like you did. I'm pretty excited.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

^ Congrats! I'm sure you're going to love it. Let me know how it rides as I'm curious how much difference the rear spring rates will show. My rears are set higher cause I like it a bit loose

Quick Reply: CBRD Installed Ohlins DFV R&T Review