Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Spec P-Trim Twin Disc clutch initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spec P-Trim Twin Disc clutch initial impressions

Did the swap yesterday at my buddies' shop, the oem pressure plate and flywheel surfaces were done after 90k (but the oem disc wasn't completely worn out.. I'll have to do a better job with that next time )

everything went together without any drama, bled the new slave/throwout setup twice and adjusted the pedal out a bit, and drove home.

Clutch impressions:
1) Well its definitly not the stock clutch anymore It doesn't have the slip-to grip threshhold the oem setup had (but hey, thats why I bought it). It is going to take a little getting used to as compared with the oem worn out setup, but it is not going to be any more difficult to drive. Everything is at the bottom of the pedal now vs all at the top.. inch or so.

2) Pedal effort. I cannot tell any difference at all between this and the oem setup. I was expecting a little bit more, but this was a very pleasant surprise. The guys at Spec mentioned that I might have to step up to a larger master cylinder, but I don't believe this will be needed once the clutch wears in.

3) Weight.. I think it might be a touch heavier than the oem stuff, but that stupid pull type throwout is gone, and I my Evo is my daily, so I can sacrifice a little bit of all out potential for what I have been told is far far more streetable than the 7.25 multi-disc setups.

4) Noise. That infamous multi-plate chatter. I think inside the workshop with all the windows rolled down and the stereo off I heard a faint rattle with the pedal to the floor. Supposedly some of the early versions of this setup made a bit more noise, it seems they've sorted that out (or maybe I just got a magic one, who knows ) but its quieter than the worn out throwout bearing from my oem setup.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with this decision. It seems to retail for about the same as the exedy HD twin, which was my first choice until I started reading about throwout bearings poping out after the fact, and looking at how the stock setup locks in and works, I am very much glad I went with a push-type conversion.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the writeup! I am/was torn on which version/trim of the spec twin discs to get and had my doubts about the P trim/twin 6 pucks, but the only thing now is how long the discs are going to hold up and to how much power? Keep us updated and please post up your mods as well. I'm going with this same clutch and am running an ETS equal length HTA35r setup w/E85, built motor etc...
Old May 3, 2009, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

They rate the clutch to 1100 ft/lbs.
Mods are in the sig, ams 35r, 264/272's, turbo back exhaust, ams front mount.

I'll be retuning it once the clutch is broken in at 25 on pump. Its not bad for the daily-D.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

how much do these go for?
Old May 3, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

nice...I know all about the trims, power they are "rated" for etc., but the Spec twins are "new" and not many people are posting up about them. I'm running a built motor, ETS HTA35r setup, E85 etc. and plan to launch my evo, but also need a decent daily drivable clutch.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jxs1984
how much do these go for?
A little bit more than the exedy HD twin, comes with the stuff to convert to push type, so about the same price when you buy a new TOB. I think 'retail' on the kit is $1700.

If it helps any, my best friend has essentially the exact same clutch in his 600 hp 2jz powered 240sx, and he's somewhat 'abusive'. It holds just fine with slicks coming off the line at 15-20psi on his T72.

In terms of mileage, there are a couple other members that have had this longer than I have, they were very informative when I asked them about their experiences.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

2) Pedal effort. I cannot tell any difference at all between this and the oem setup. I was expecting a little bit more, but this was a very pleasant surprise. The guys at Spec mentioned that I might have to step up to a larger master cylinder, but I don't believe this will be needed once the clutch wears in.
Nice write-up.

BTW - A larger diameter MC bore will *increase* pedal effort.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Q15H
Nice write-up.

BTW - A larger diameter MC bore will *increase* pedal effort.
Be that as it may, I don't feel that the bigger MC is needed. YMMV, etc. It was merely mentioned as a possibility during the purchasing phase. I've got about 50 miles on it now and its getting easier and easier to drive (well, I'm getting used to it is probably more the case haha)
Old May 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribed thanks for posting is this the same version Ted B speaks highly of?
Old May 4, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

it is not the same version Ted B. speaks of...he has the full faced carbon graphite or ST trim which is more $ than the SS or P trim...the P trim in this thread is twin 6 puck cerametallic discs. The SS trim is full faced carbon kevlar and it is the "entry" level twin disc Spec sells
Old May 4, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E85evo8
it is not the same version Ted B. speaks of...he has the full faced carbon graphite or ST trim which is more $ than the SS or P trim...the P trim in this thread is twin 6 puck cerametallic discs. The SS trim is full faced carbon kevlar and it is the "entry" level twin disc Spec sells
Oh ok thanks do either of the discs have a sprung hub?
Old May 4, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Oh ok thanks do either of the discs have a sprung hub?
Yes, one sprung, one unsprung.
Old May 4, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

damn...don't know if I want to go with the P trim or be the "guinea pig" and try the SS trim??
Old May 19, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Post break-in bump.

Noise has not increased any from the initial install, with the pedal depressed you can hear a slight rattle at idle with the stereo off, nbd.
Pedal effort has not changed, altho the engagement has moved up slightly.

Driving impressions:
Due to the rapid engagement of the clutch I've had to increase the speed at which I shift (otherwise its a little jerky). I attribute this particular thing to the unsprung disc. I'm fairly picky about the evo (polar opposite from the volvo), and this still rates very low on any annoyance factor, really only about a 2 out of 10.

Car is still very easy to drive around in traffic, as easy as a 35r evo can be, I have found that I have to give it a couple more revs to get going, but as I get more and more used to the engagement, this is becoming less of an issue.

There is one slightly more annoying feature, and having spoken with another guy in town who has essentially the exact same clutch in his 2j powered nissan, he agrees, the weight of the two discs makes shifting at high rpms (i.e. racing) without NLTS..interesting. With nlts, its a non issue, you let it hit bump the limiter twice and it goes right in like butter, but if you try and flick it into gear like a somewhat sane person (you know, because sane people routinely turn their cars up to 8k in every gear ) it does not like to go in right away. This could also be me doing something wrong, but the other guy agreed and drives his car much the same when racing. Its not a big issue, we're not talking about a substantial delay, my car doesn't even drop below 200 load on the nlts during this time.

all in all, I'm still very pleased with the clutch, and the more seat time I get the more enjoyable it becomes. I have not driven any other twin disc evo's, so I really can't compare it with anything else, but perhaps I can coax one of the semi-local guys to let me drive his car and see how this matches up with the clutch I was originally going to buy, the exedy 022hd.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Nice review!

-Jalal

Quick Reply: Spec P-Trim Twin Disc clutch initial impressions