Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ACT XTSS Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
ACT XTSS Review

I recently purchased an ACT XTSS clutch which came with a SS Clutch line of this vendor. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html

At 1st I was a lil concerned with a heavy pedal pressure but I wanted something that could handle a lot of torque as I plan on Meth shortly. I used a stock flywheel as it is the best to use. I find when modding an Evo you should use parts as close to stock as possible or else you risk the instant boost characteristics of the Evo as well as the drive-ability. I ported the entire turbo assembly and simple bolt-ons with mild cams to give me a very fat power band.

Anyway I got the XTSS in with the SS clutch line and OMG it is better then the HDSS I had in my old VIII! I say this because it feels better ( I didn't have the clutch line on my VIII) and the pedal pressure is just stock feeling, it just GRABS as it engages. The pedal pressure does not feel any worse then stock, no joke. It shifts perfectly at 8000 RPMS and does not drag or have any ill effects. I broke it in properly and it shifts like butter. It does grab VERY hard but allows easy slipping for daily driving.

The best way to describe this clutch is picture a stock clutch that can hold all the power, it's that simple. The car absolutely loves it. WOT in 1st gear is met with wheel spin and this is from a roll. If I launch, after a nice slip and then let go it spins all 4 with ease. It's perfect and very inexpensive for what you get.

As far as I am concerned the HDSS is DEAD to me, don't even bother with it, just get the XTSS. My buddy just got the XT Pressure plate with the sprung 6-puck which shifts just as easily but has a more on-off characteristic. This is also a great daily driving clutch and holds over 600 Foot Pounds of torque, more then enough for almost any street application. Again I cannot stress enough how much I love this clucth, it holds over 600 Crank Pounds of torque and shifts perfectly. IDK people bother with the Exedy Triple plate which is almost 3 times the price yet will not last as long and even costs more the repair kit for the twin plate is more then an entirely new ACT Clutch.

The Act clutch is simply a modified version of stock equipment, it fits great, it works better, no sounds, noises, or any ill effects for daily driving. I put 90K on my HDSS, I imagine the XTSS would last just as long if not longer.

XTSS Just get one and makes sure to get the clutch line, it makes a HUGE difference in pedal pressure and feel. Now if you just dump the clutch you will grenade your tranny; that's a fact. You need to slip it but it is just as easy as stock to slip only it HOLDS the power and doesn't slip like the stock unit. It makes the Evo feel SOOOOO much better and more confident on power delivery.

August 19th 2012 Update. I can still spin all 4 wheels on dry pavement if I ask it to. Suck it over priced clutches!!!!! ACT is where it's at.

Last edited by High_PSI; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds pretty good! Curious.. have you adjusted your clutch pedal at all? I can't stand the stock engagement/disengagement height on the 8/9.. I think it'd probably be the first thing I changed, heh.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same clutch but with the act streetlite flywheel and it grabds goood... no lock out issues at all and launches hardd...
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Conor
Sounds pretty good! Curious.. have you adjusted your clutch pedal at all? I can't stand the stock engagement/disengagement height on the 8/9.. I think it'd probably be the first thing I changed, heh.
Nope, no need. I love it as it is. Although I did bleed the clutch with the new line.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

I had a Exedy twin disk in my VIII and I don't think I'll find the deal I did when I bought it to buy another. I always heard about lockout issues with the ACT so this is good to hear cause I really don't want to have $2000 tied up in a clutch and install on my 9.

How much does this clutch run if you don't mind me asking?
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:13 AM

running a HDSS here and had lockout issues last summer. Ive since put in a AMS poly front motor mount. But havent banged on it that hard yet. I was looking at the XTSS a couple days ago wondering if it would be a better option for me than forking out 1500 for some sort of twin disc.

Thanks for the review!
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Corey
I had a Exedy twin disk in my VIII and I don't think I'll find the deal I did when I bought it to buy another. I always heard about lockout issues with the ACT so this is good to hear cause I really don't want to have $2000 tied up in a clutch and install on my 9.

How much does this clutch run if you don't mind me asking?
Originally Posted by THmotorsports
EVO 8 & 9 ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Combo Deals!!!

$579 SHIPPED

We will include a free SS clutch line in the order!!!

Or pair it up with a Lightweight ACT Flywheel

ACT Streetlite Flywheel with ACT MB7-HDSS heavy duty clutch kit $759 SHIPPED!!!

ACT PROLite Flywheel with ACT MB7-HDSS heavy duty clutch kit $769 SHIPPED!!!

Every clutch order receives a FREE clutch line!!!

Different colors available!!!

Call us @ 800-959-0145 to order!!!

Or Pm us with your email address to receive a checkout request via Google Checkout.

We accept Paypal too!!!

If you have lockout issues, it is user install error period. I have been running these clutches for 10 years now, started in 1998 with my TSI AWD and never looked back with my past 2 Evo's as well.

P.S. I do however strongly suggest using an OEM Throw Out Bearing, do not use the unit the ACT sends with it. They tend to be noisier for some strange reason.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:26 AM

well.. my front motor mount was trashed. Tried multiple settings with the pedal. And with a 70k mi timing belt, I really havent been hitting 7.5k rpm too much lately, since the mount install lol Other than the few track days last year, havent had an issue on the street. And Ive put about 12k mi on it since the install. All in all act gets a from me.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Motor mounts will help with shifting period. That's all they do is keep the motor from rocking. I plan to do one soon.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
I recently purchased an ACT XTSS clutch which came with a SS Clutch line of this vendor. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...available.html

At 1st I was a lil concerned with a heavy pedal pressure but I wanted something that could handle a lot of torque as I plan on Meth shortly. I used a stock flywheel as it is the best to use. I find when modding an Evo you should use parts as close to stock as possible or else you risk the instant boost characteristics of the Evo as well as the driveability. I ported the entire turbo assembly and simple bolt-ons with mild cams to give me a very fat power band.

Anyway I got the XTSS in with the SS clutch line and OMG it is better then the HDSS I had in my old VIII! I say this because it feels better ( I didn't have the clutch line on my VIII) and the pedal pressure is just stock feeling, it just GRABS as it engauges. The pedal pressure does not feel any worse then stock, no joke. It shifts perfectly at 8000 RPMS and does not drag or have any ill effects. I broke it in properly and it shifts like butter. It does grab VERY hard but allows easy slipping for daily driving.

The best way to describe this clutch is picture a stock clutch that can hold all the power, it's that simple. The car absolutely loves it. WOT in 1st gear is met with wheel spin and this is from a roll. If I launch, after a nice slip and then let go it spins all 4 with ease. It's perfect and very inexpensive for what you get.

As far as I am concerned the HDSS is dead to me, don't even bother with it, just get the XTSS. My buddy just got the XT Pressure plate with the sprung 6-puck which shifts just as easily but has a more on-off characteristic. This is also a great daily driving clutch and holds over 600 Foot Pounds of torque, more then enough for almost any street application. Again I cannot stress enough how much I love this clucth, it holds over 560 Pounds of torque and shifts perfectly. IDK people bother with the Exedy Triple plate which is almost 3 times the price yet will not last as long and even costs more the repair kit for the twin plate is more then an entirely new ACT Clutch.

The Act clutch is simply a modified version of stock equipment, it fits great, it works better, no sounds, noises, or any ill effects for daily driving. I put 90K on my HDSS, I imagine the XTSS would last just as long if not longer.

XTSS Just get one and makes sure to get the clutch line, it makes a HUGE difference in pedal pressure and feel. Now if you just dump the clutch you will grenade your tranny; that's a fact. You need to slip it but it is just as easy as stock to slip only it HOLDS the power and doesn't slip like the stock unit. It makes the Evo feel SOOOOO much better and more confident on power delivery.

Thanks for the review, I couldnt have said it any better. I am running the same clutch setup on my 2005 EVO, MB7-XTSS with the stock flywheel and the Buschur SS clutch line, along with some upgraded clutch fluid and its sweet.

my only regret is while I was in there doing the clutch I should have put in the ACT prolite flywheel also...
Old Mar 14, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have the xtss as well but paired with the fidanza lightweight flywheel. the clutch pedal pressure is not close to stock at all. my leg was sore after the day i first drove it lol. no lockout issue and i have to be extra careful not to engage the clutch quickly or you will feel a sudden shock to the transmission.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the review. I'm glad our HDSS served you well and I know you'll be just as happy with the XTSS.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

@op how's the clutch now?
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Still fine and with my all season tires I can rip 2nd gear a new a$$hole if I ask it to. heavy pedal feel but I am so used to it I think all other clutches have a light pedal feel. Best clutch for the money period. They way I drive it'll last as long as the car will.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

I currently have the ACT HDSS in my car for about 20k miles now. It still holds fine to all the abuse I put it through and all the 30+ launches at the drag strip. A lot of people have lock out issues with ACT, but I have not had any at all. As long as you install the clutch correctly and adjust the clutch pedal there will be no lock out issues. Thanks ACT for making the best bang for the buck clutch!

Quick Reply: ACT XTSS Review