Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Buschur Racing / Forced Performance HTA 35R stock ecu & maf on 93 octane reviewed!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racing / Forced Performance HTA 35R stock ecu & maf on 93 octane reviewed!

ok, so I upgraded from stock 16g to the 20g evogreen a while back and that was a fun setup.. 11.78 @ 116 on pure 93 octane pump gas with a best mph of 118. Not bad and the car is tons of fun on the street. I know with meth/race gas the car will really haul *** but I want more power on pump gas. I like to keep it simple.

I sold the 20g evogreen and ordered the HTA 35R from Buschur Racing. As always, Nick was great to deal with, answered any questions, updated me along the way etc... very good customer support

It took a few weeks to get the turbo due to the large demand for them but let me tell ya, it's worth the short wait.

Shipment was good, nice packaging, no issues whatsoever as usual with BR.

Fitments...well I ran into a snag where the turbo wasn't clocked correctly. I rotated the compressor housing so it was no longer firing into the block and then the chra wasn't lined up for good oil drainage. Eventually I got it right but then the drain hose was too long. I cut it down about 1 inch and then everything mated up nicely. It was a pain in the *** but persistence pays off. The feed line was no issue.

The new downpipe is a v-band to meet up with the v-band 02 housing that comes with the kit. It seals very nice, no leaks at all.

The new header fit like a glove, no problems aside from me dropping a nut into oblivion (under the car in the dark)...never did find that damn thing hehe.

now for the good stuff. My goal was 400awhp with ease, maybe 450 with a little tuning and 500awhp with high boost + meth + 65mm tb + ported intake being added.

I scaled the new PTE 780s pretty quickly and driveability is better than ever surprisingly. Silky smooth idle/cruise no problems. So Brad and I went out to do some pulls and the boost shot up to 32psi so I dialed back my generic MBC as low as it would go and it was still way too high. I ran the wastegate hose directly to the intake pressure source to force the car to run wastegate boost which turns out to be ~ 20psi. The car felt really good, I kicked it down ~2500 and 10psi came on ~ 3500 and 20psi by 4500 (don't quote me) The wastegate open dumped and sounds wicked...I think we scared some animals and children....pretty much anything living in the area.

keep in mind that the EVOgreen at full tilt on 93 octane did 400awhp in DLL (no dyno for 6 hours from me) with a 26psi spike maxed out on my setup. HKS 280, BR Deluxe FMIC, PTE 680cc, BR TBE with test pipe and bullet muffler, SS 02, hard pipes. Not too shabby at all.

I ran the log through DLL and was pleased to see I met my first goal (400awhp minimum) Here's the 20g evogreen at full tilt with a 26psi spike on 93 octane vs the HTA 35R @ 20psi on 93 octane: keep in mind this was with NO changes to the fuel/timing map whatsoever...just dropping in the turbo and hitting it:

As you can see the 20G makes load more low end torque being a small turbo with higher pressure down there, but by high RPM the playing field is even.

The next day I changed to a softer spring in the MBC and was able to regulate boost better. I turned it up to ~23psi and it really started waking up...that's a massive gain from a few psi. I barely had to adjust the fuel/timing at all and had 0 knock.

I went back out later and turned it up to ~25psi and noticed the AFR went from 11.2 @ 7000 to 12.2 by 8000...I was running out of fuel. The injector duty cycle was well over 110% and it picked up a few counts of knock there, nothing bad. I couldn't believe I made ~500awhp on friggin pump gas... hell I haven't even installed the meth kit, 65mm tb or ported intake yet!

I had a hunch that it might not totally be the 780cc injectors fault. I borrowed the kenne bell boost a pump from my Stealth and the IDC's came down slightly and the AFR went to 11.3 to redline instead of 12.2 and the knock went away completely. Here's where I ended up this weekend vs the 20g setup: Funny how the torque follows the 20g hp line.

Since I'm on the stock shorty I'm really not looking for more power yet so I'm not installing the meth kit for now. I ordered some PTE 880's to replace the 780's in order to lower the IDC to something a bit more reasonable. Eventually I'll do a BR shorty, heads etc... and install the meth but I'm not in a big hurry.

I'm extremely pleased with this setup and blown away by how damn easy it was to get into the 500awhp range on pump gas with the stock ecu and stock maf! Hats off to FP and BR for putting together a terrific combination of parts. I know some of you are probably noticing that I'm collecting quite a few BR parts along the way...that's because I like their prices, service and I like to go with what's proven. That's not to say that there aren't other great choices because their certainly are such as AMS, ETS etc... but I just haven't felt the need to stray away from BR...keep up the great work guys.

p.s. I shot some footage from inside the car last night...I'm sorry you can't see the RPM gauge very well but it would be impossible to hold the camera and drive this beast, it likes to break the tires loose from a roll in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd will snap your neck if you aren't paying attention

for what it's worth... here's the video. I posted it on my forum last night: http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=3147

and here's some bad night time pics sorry about the blurr on some: that's a stock 16g beside the 35R for comparison

Last edited by Mellon Racing; Dec 19, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nioce.

Man I am glad you sorted out the mbc issue.

It was a blast to ride in at 20psi, I can't wait to get a ride in it now.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet!

-Em
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers!!! What else mods do you have???

Originally Posted by Mellon
ok, so I upgraded from stock 16g to the 20g evogreen a while back and that was a fun setup.. 11.78 @ 116 on pure 93 octane pump gas with a best mph of 118. Not bad and the car is tons of fun on the street. I know with meth/race gas the car will really haul *** but I want more power on pump gas. I like to keep it simple.

I sold the 20g evogreen and ordered the HTA 35R from Buschur Racing. As always, Nick was great to deal with, answered any questions, updated me along the way etc... very good customer support

It took a few weeks to get the turbo due to the large demand for them but let me tell ya, it's worth the short wait.

Shipment was good, nice packaging, no issues whatsoever as usual with BR.

Fitments...well I ran into a snag where the turbo wasn't clocked correctly. I rotated the compressor housing so it was no longer firing into the block and then the chra wasn't lined up for good oil drainage. Eventually I got it right but then the drain hose was too long. I cut it down about 1 inch and then everything mated up nicely. It was a pain in the *** but persistence pays off. The feed line was no issue.

The new downpipe is a v-band to meet up with the v-band 02 housing that comes with the kit. It seals very nice, no leaks at all.

The new header fit like a glove, no problems aside from me dropping a nut into oblivion (under the car in the dark)...never did find that damn thing hehe.

now for the good stuff. My goal was 400awhp with ease, maybe 450 with a little tuning and 500awhp with high boost + meth + 65mm tb + ported intake being added.

I scaled the new PTE 780s pretty quickly and driveability is better than ever surprisingly. Silky smooth idle/cruise no problems. So Brad and I went out to do some pulls and the boost shot up to 32psi so I dialed back my generic MBC as low as it would go and it was still way too high. I ran the wastegate hose directly to the intake pressure source to force the car to run wastegate boost which turns out to be ~ 20psi. The car felt really good, I kicked it down ~2500 and 10psi came on ~ 3500 and 20psi by 4500 (don't quote me) The wastegate open dumped and sounds wicked...I think we scared some animals and children....pretty much anything living in the area.

keep in mind that the EVOgreen at full tilt on 93 octane did 400awhp in DLL (no dyno for 6 hours from me) with a 26psi spike maxed out on my setup. HKS 280, BR Deluxe FMIC, PTE 680cc, BR TBE with test pipe and bullet muffler, SS 02, hard pipes. Not too shabby at all.

I ran the log through DLL and was pleased to see I met my first goal (400awhp minimum) Here's the 20g evogreen at full tilt with a 26psi spike on 93 octane vs the HTA 35R @ 20psi on 93 octane: keep in mind this was with NO changes to the fuel/timing map whatsoever...just dropping in the turbo and hitting it:

As you can see the 20G makes load more low end torque being a small turbo with higher pressure down there, but by high RPM the playing field is even.

The next day I changed to a softer spring in the MBC and was able to regulate boost better. I turned it up to ~23psi and it really started waking up...that's a massive gain from a few psi. I barely had to adjust the fuel/timing at all and had 0 knock.

I went back out later and turned it up to ~25psi and noticed the AFR went from 11.2 @ 7000 to 12.2 by 8000...I was running out of fuel. The injector duty cycle was well over 110% and it picked up a few counts of knock there, nothing bad. I couldn't believe I made ~500awhp on friggin pump gas... hell I haven't even installed the meth kit, 65mm tb or ported intake yet!

I had a hunch that it might not totally be the 780cc injectors fault. I borrowed the kenne bell boost a pump from my Stealth and the IDC's came down slightly and the AFR went to 11.3 to redline instead of 12.2 and the knock went away completely. Here's where I ended up this weekend vs the 20g setup: Funny how the torque follows the 20g hp line.

Since I'm on the stock shorty I'm really not looking for more power yet so I'm not installing the meth kit for now. I ordered some PTE 880's to replace the 780's in order to lower the IDC to something a bit more reasonable. Eventually I'll do a BR shorty, heads etc... and install the meth but I'm not in a big hurry.

I'm extremely pleased with this setup and blown away by how damn easy it was to get into the 500awhp range on pump gas with the stock ecu and stock maf! Hats off to FP and BR for putting together a terrific combination of parts. I know some of you are probably noticing that I'm collecting quite a few BR parts along the way...that's because I like their prices, service and I like to go with what's proven. That's not to say that there aren't other great choices because their certainly are such as AMS, ETS etc... but I just haven't felt the need to stray away from BR...keep up the great work guys.

p.s. I shot some footage from inside the car last night...I'm sorry you can't see the RPM gauge very well but it would be impossible to hold the camera and drive this beast, it likes to break the tires loose from a roll in 1st gear and shifting to 2nd will snap your neck if you aren't paying attention

for what it's worth... here's the video. I posted it on my forum last night: http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...ad.php?p=23719

and here's some bad night time pics sorry about the blurr on some: that's a stock 16g beside the 35R for comparison

Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Great right up! Thanks for the info. Just curious how much boost were you running in the video? How is the driveability on the street compared to the evogreen?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo8Master
Nice numbers!!! What else mods do you have???
I think I already listed them all

p.s. can you edit your post so it doesn't quote my first post with all of the pics?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO 4G63
Great right up! Thanks for the info. Just curious how much boost were you running in the video? How is the driveability on the street compared to the evogreen?

it was set to ~ 25psi but after reviewing the video it looks like it was creeping towards 26-27psi maybe by redline.

The green hits hard around 3500-4000 and pulls hard to redline. I advance the timing as the boost tapers off to keep the power up.

The 35R hits hard around 4500-5000 and starts pulling hard, then harder then harder...I keep spanking the 8000 rpm rev limiter because that sense of when it's time to shift based on the power dropping off is gone. It feels like it want to go to 9K+

I figured surely there would be some respool time between shifts but clearly there isn't any at all to speak of and I wasn't trying to shift very fast in the video. I was trying to shift early to avoid spanking the rev limiter when the tires broke loose a bit in first gear.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Well it looks like it is just a blast to drive! Congradulations and enjoy
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:43 AM

Great job Mellon better see some vids up ASAP with you crushing goats and cobra's. I will be running the same exact setup as you except for the UICP. Good to see what to expect and someone that has experience tuning my exact setup basically.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Well it looks like it is just a blast to drive!
Looks like your tuning business has really taken off recently
Congratulations and enjoy.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

500 through DLL is not 500 whp, is it?

Scorke
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by scorke
500 through DLL is not 500 whp, is it?

Scorke
I assumed it was but good question.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice write up... The guys over at BR do know what they're doing, so it's good to see more people are noticing...

I saw the video and I must say I was really impressed.... Now I wonder what that turbo can do to my car... yikes....
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Chris,
I have to say I had my doubts about your planned set-up.
But, you really got the numbers out there.
Great Job!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

I see that you still need also the 4" intake pipe on that beast of yours but who cares , the car is still fast as ****.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing / Forced Performance HTA 35R stock ecu & maf on 93 octane reviewed!