Notices

JAM* Spec Venolia forged pistons.........simply the best.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAM* Spec Venolia forged pistons.........simply the best.

In this post we will highlight the features and benefits of our JAM* Spec pistons by Venolia. You may not be familiar with the name Venolia. This is because they don't offer an "off-the-shelf" piston for any application and they also don't sell directly to the public. You must specify every aspect of the piston design to them including but not limited to bore size, pin location, pin type, ring size and location, valve relieve size and location, etc. Venolia make a TRUE custom piston, not a shelf piston with options. They are used in every type of professional racing from Karts to Top Fuel, road racing to offshore boats. Venolias are the choice of the leading Top Fuel and Funny car teams for years where they need a piston to withstand 8000 hp + to power the fastest cars in the world. We are very proud to have developed a superior product with Venolia to offer to the Evo community.

Every JAM Spec Venolia piston is designed with strength, duability and reliability in mind. Many other piston companies employ features and techniques designed around naturally aspirated applications but actually sacrifice strength to save a few ounces of weight. This is the opposite of what you want to do with a turbocharged engine. Strength is the ultimate goal and priority of a piston that is asked to support high temperatures and cylinder pressures, especially at high RPM's. This is why our Venolia pistons are superior to any other piston on the market.

Material
Venolia pistons are forged from a low silicon 2618 alloy. This offers a superior tensile strength of 64,000 psi as opposed to a more commonly used 3042 with only 55,000 psi. The overall strength of a piston made with 2618 is greater. The low silicon alloy also has a higher rate of thermal expansion which means the block must be clearanced accordingly by an experienced machine shop.

General Design
The JAM Spec Venolia pistons utilize a Full Round skirt design as opposed to the common practice of using a "slipper skirt" design. The slipper skirt design was developed primarily for N/A applications where minimum weight is the goal and has it's place in engines making at or below 2 hp/cubic inch. When used in turbo application making 4 hp/cubic inch or more, they simply can't take the abuse. The Full Round design retains material in the sides of the piston (near the wrist pin) which is critical in a turbo engine for stability of the piston in the bore which minimizes deflection and distortion. Stabilizing and supporting the piston does several things. First, it allows for better ring sealing. If the piston is not supported properly and allowed to rock in the bore, the seal between the ring and cylinder is lost. This not only cost's you horsepower, but it enables blowby and increases the chances of detonation due to a contaminated charge. Second, there is more material in the piston which adds strength. Simple theory here, it's beefy! Third, you have less cylinder wear, friction and heat from the pistons not rocking in the bore which means more horsepower and longevity from your engine.

Wrist Pins
The wrist pins used in our Venolia pistons are constructed from 4340 Chrome Moly with a 240,000 psi tensile strength. They are Taper Bored which gives them a tapered inner wall. This leaves more material in the critical area of the pin for optimum strength while lightening the pin in the less critical area. These pins have been tested and verified to withstand loads of 60,000 lbs. The material and method of construction saves weight without sacrificing strength or reliability.

On our stroker pistons we use Teflon pin "buttons" in place of the commonly used support rail. With a stroker piston, the pin location intersects with the bottom portion of the oil ring. Many pistons use a thin support rail on the bottom of the oil ring groove to support the oil ring itself. Instead of using a support rail, our Venolia pistons utilize a Teflon button that fits into the pin bore which offers more support than the rail design. This also increases the stability of the piston in the bore.

Our Venolia pistons emply Forced Pin Oiling to lubricate the wrist pins. As opposed to other designs that rely on oil "splash" or passive lubrication, our pins are lubricated through a pressurized channel to there is never any doubt that the pins are getting a sufficient supply of oil. This means less friction, less heat and more strength, longer life span and more HP! This method offers the highest durability under high boost applications.

Coating
All of our Venolia pistons are Hard Tuff*tm coated. This is not a Moly based coating that wears of and it is applied to the entire piston, not just the skirt. It offers increased lubricity which means less friction, less heat and less cylinder wear. Once again that equates to more HP and a longer engine life. The coating also serves a very important role of evening out the distribution of heat through the piston making the expansion rate of the piston uniform and consistent. This eliminates hot spots and you guessed it, less friction, heat and more HP with longer life.

Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome work. I can't wait to send my block to you guys!
Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice looking piston and the information behind it is great.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
What's the total weight of the piston with pin and rings?
Old Sep 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Good info. Quick ? do your built shortblocks include a brand new water pump? Also do you do core exchanges ie. send a built shortblock then refund the core charge once you receive the core block.

Obviously assuming the core block is in rebuilable condition
Old Sep 7, 2008, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Good info. Quick ? do your built shortblocks include a brand new water pump? Also do you do core exchanges ie. send a built shortblock then refund the core charge once you receive the core block.

Obviously assuming the core block is in rebuilable condition
A short block consists of the block, crank, rods pistons, rings, bearings, balancing and assembly. If we have a usable core at the shop then yes, we can build it and send it to you. Your core charge will be refunded after you send us another usable block. The other alternative is to use a new block.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jackson Machine
A short block consists of the block, crank, rods pistons, rings, bearings, balancing and assembly. If we have a usable core at the shop then yes, we can build it and send it to you. Your core charge will be refunded after you send us another usable block. The other alternative is to use a new block.
I meant oil pump . I was discussing a timing belt job before with a buddy and typed water pump. My mistake I know I bolt on my own accesories

Sorry for the misstype
Old Sep 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those are some gorgeous pistons.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

After im done with all of the bolt-on stuff I am definatly going to have my engine built by you guys! really a work of art.-JOEYD
Old Sep 7, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
What's the total weight of the piston with pin and rings?
i'd like to know this as well.

JAM mentions higher thermal expansion rate of these pistons, so i'd also like to know more about how much clearance is run, cold startup piston slap and oil consumption.

Oil consumption always seems to be a gremlin with built motors and i've seen it happen with buschur,ams, magnus and small shop/back yard mechanic builds.

What's really frustrating is when you call some of the top vendors and ask wth, they always scapegoat and say you didn't run the engine in properly etc. (anyway, that's another thread)
Old Sep 7, 2008, 06:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The 2618 is a good piston alloy.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Sep 8, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old Sep 7, 2008, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

and just how much would these pretty boys run?
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:12 AM
Former Sponsor

I'll get back to you with a weight after I get to the shop. I've got that info on my desk.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nitz
i'd like to know this as well.

JAM mentions higher thermal expansion rate of these pistons, so i'd also like to know more about how much clearance is run, cold startup piston slap and oil consumption.

Oil consumption always seems to be a gremlin with built motors and i've seen it happen with buschur,ams, magnus and small shop/back yard mechanic builds.

What's really frustrating is when you call some of the top vendors and ask wth, they always scapegoat and say you didn't run the engine in properly etc. (anyway, that's another thread)
There are no problems with oil consumption mainly because of the piston features listed in the original post (dealing with proper ring support) and the way we prep our blocks. You'll get a bit of piston slap on cold startup but that's a concession you make with almost any built engine. Once the engine is at operating temperature, the piston has expanded to take up the clearance and the noise goes away. Exactly how much piston to wall clearance we run is a proprietary figure.

A lot of the oil consumption problems you hear about can be traced back to improperly functioning or absent PCV system. Running nothing more than a catch can is asking for trouble. Poor tunes are another cause. Running the engine rich and glazing the cylinder walls will lead to blowby and oil consumption because the rings can't seal. Improper piston to wall clearance will make noise and not let the rings seal. This is a common problem when the block isn't prepped properly like in the case of some "drop-in' pistons.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I meant oil pump . I was discussing a timing belt job before with a buddy and typed water pump. My mistake I know I bolt on my own accesories

Sorry for the misstype
just bumping this post in case you may have skipped it. Thanks for answering questions

Quick Reply: JAM* Spec Venolia forged pistons.........simply the best.