Notices

HKS Coilover Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Coilover Update

Info taken from another site I frequent:

The day u are waiting... HKS HiperMax V Sports Coilovers Launch for LancerEX/GT!!!

Venue: BMS Motorsports
Address: 10 Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2A Autopoint Building #03-12
Date: 13th September 2009, Sunday
Time: 1pm-5pm

The long awaited HKS HiperMax V sports coilover is finally reaching our shores!!! The following are the details:

Retail price: $1950 with installation (Before GST) -> Alignment to be done by Kenny Alignment at separate cost.
Launch price on 13/09/09: $1888 with installation (Before GST) -> Alignment to be done by Kenny Alignment at separate cost.
Spring rate: F6 R4.
Damping and height fully adjustable

Usual retail price of HKS HiperMax coilovers in the market is minimum $2500.

That seems to be a decent price for HKS, and these prices include installation (If your in the U.S.)
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:56 PM

how do these compare up against the megan coilovers. how do they justify spending ~ $1k more for hks?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Megan coilovers are on low end of the coilover spectrum. HKS is always on the higher end for all there aftermarket parts. Tein's basic coil for the lancer should be done soon too and they should be closer to the price of the Megans
Old Sep 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
megans are good if you just want to lower your car... if your going to do any track stuff the megans or any lower end coilovers for that matter will fail after only a couple of events. Not to mention they would preform horribly in comparison to the higher end range models. there is a crap load of technology which goes into suspension so trust me when I say you get what you pay for. At the end of the day you have to decide how serious you want to be about it, but every penny is justifiable regardless of the price provided your looking to compete at that level.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 04:02 PM

if anyone is serious on getting suspension parts, and is ready to drop serious coin i would wait for even greater options and gauge the feedback from fellow users / reviews. HKS is a huge tuning house, but their speciality is not on suspension; they started off as an engine tuner and I believe this is still their core competency today.

Although I'm not saying their suspension set-ups are not capable of performing well, I personally prefer to purchase from field-specific tuning houses. For example, if I wanted suspension, I would shop amongst Endless, Cusco, Ohlin etc, companies where their main focus is suspension.

Just some food for thought
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Oh I totally agree rontam, there are a few also others I would add to your list for top brands such as robispec ect...which I would personally go with over the HKS... But again majority of these companies listed are selling coils in excess of $3000 and up. This in my eyes would be over kill for any of the lancer guys. The HKS is about mid range while pushing toward the higher end. keep in mind the hks hypermax evo has set numerous records and the hypermax line of coilovers has got good reviews from the evo 7-9 owners.

Again this brings me back to what I said above, it all depends on what you want to do with your suspension and how serious your are into racing.

if we could get a group buy going for these say for $1500 then that would be a steal for anyone interested.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 08:48 PM

interesting, but say someone's main concern was to lower their car, and yet they want a high quality coilover that will last them a long time without issues and wouldn't mind some performance gains. they won't be racing or anything and it's their dd. what would you recommend.

or would they even need coilovers and just stick with some springs.

Last edited by ckbilly; Sep 3, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going with the Tein Basic coils when they are released. I don't track my car other then the 1/4 sometimes so I don't need $2k-3k for high end coils. I want my car lower for the summer but raise it up for winter since I don't want to be a snowplow. I was gonna get springs cause that is all I really need but it would be a PITA to change out the springs every winter then again every summer or getting another set of struts + springs. If all u want the coils for is lowering the car Megans, Teins would be good enough but if u don't need to raise them up for winter(example) just save the $$ and get some lowering springs. Springs will give better handling then stock

Last edited by brads09lancerGT; Sep 3, 2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 07:53 AM
Account Disabled

^agreed!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Cusco coilover are now in production, don't know if they are good for suspensions or not but they are more known than Meagan. http://translate.google.com/translat...Fpost_130.html