Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

autocrossers beware

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really po'd. My Mitsu salesman is an SCCA instructor. He was MY instructor at a PCA drivers ed several months back. I mentioned autox in the EVO during the sales process and he invited me to an event. At no point in the sales transaction or delivery was autox indicated as a warranty killer.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Come on now....everyone knows salesmen are there just to get the sale.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I've been following MSM_2K's experience w/ Mitsu voiding is warranty. Get an attorney now! Also, contact MSM to get in touch with the magazines he has been talking too. The more owners who complain and get it printed the more likely Mitsu is to clean up their act.

For the rest: don't use your real name when you register for an event, cover your VIN#, and remove your license plate (don't know if you can, but what the hell). Make it as hard as possible for anybody to figure out which warranty to void.

Good luck LPSamsonEVO8. Get an attorney now and start fighting before you do have problems.

Last edited by tweekscratch; Jul 6, 2004 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2004, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Autoweek Article: 'You Break it, You Buy It"

This story is in the July 5 2004 issue of Autoweek, in the article titled "You Break it, You Buy it". It deals with the warranty/racing issue for all manufacturers, including the mixed signals sent by Subaru for handing out free SCCA memberships while also claiming SCCA competition voids warranties.

But, not suprisingly, the Mitsubishi Evo is mentioned in the first paragraph of the article.

A Mitsubishi spokeswoman named Janis Little is quoted giving some amazing doublespeak:

"Problems related to racing or modifications are not covered under warranty." "Autocrossing, or timed competition, is classified under the warranty terms as racing." But then she's later quoted as saying, "You're not going to get black-flagged just for entering an autocross."

I have a hunch that last comment will come back to haunt her and Mitsubishi.

The Autoweek Article