Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

autocrossers beware

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find an attorney that works on a contingency basis as sue. Ford voided my warranty on my 03 Cobra because the said that I raced and abused the car. They found rubber in my fender well and they claimed that proved the car was raced. Anyway, I sued ford and ended up getting a settlement. It is difficult, because Mitsubishi will have to prove that the racing broke the part in question.. It is much more difficult that just saying your warranty is void. Fight it and you will win, but it isn't easy... It took me around 1 year to win $10,000.. Good Luck! If you race, you warranty can't be voided (not that simple).. In my case, I admitted to going down the drag strip several times... They had to make the correlation between those runs and when my parts broke.. They actually got dates etc... So as long as you didn't go to the dealership for warranty work withing a week or 2 of when you autox'd then you should be fine. BTW- Ford knew my Cobra was modded and I still won.. So never give up! Marketing also impacts the definition of abuse for a given car... (-: Good luck

Last edited by xstang; Jun 1, 2004 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:05 AM

can someone tell me how to attach image with post so i can show u guys what the dealer gave me.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:58 AM

this is what joe myer's mitsubishi service manager gave me. according to him, this is on mitsu's nationwide warranty database. it doesn't matter which dealership i bring my car to, when they pull up my car for any warranty work, this is what they'll see. from what i understand, anything powertrain, transmission, and suspension is not covered anymore. other claims will be reviewed on a case to case basis. this is according to Mr. Mike E. (won't give me his last name) from mitsu's 1800 number.use this link please http://miata.cardomain.com/memberpage/328612/2
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:20 PM

well in answer to your questions about who i go to. i bought my evo from McGinnis Mitsu. and they have been very gracious to me. Although im starting to think that there is something wrong with mine b/c they replaced the transfer case and the sound didnt go away. They dont know what caused it to break and now they think its the turbo that is broken and is making the noise that im hearing.

For everyone who has an evo, when was the first time that you had to change your oil? They pulled out my dipstick, said there was not even a drop of oil in there and charged me $60 to do an oil change. I only have 3500 miles on my car. And Greg, the service manager, said that in new high performance racing car, that oil will burn that quickly. Is this correct or is there something seriously wrong with my car.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Poptarts
well in answer to your questions about who i go to. i bought my evo from McGinnis Mitsu. and they have been very gracious to me. Although im starting to think that there is something wrong with mine b/c they replaced the transfer case and the sound didnt go away. They dont know what caused it to break and now they think its the turbo that is broken and is making the noise that im hearing.

For everyone who has an evo, when was the first time that you had to change your oil? They pulled out my dipstick, said there was not even a drop of oil in there and charged me $60 to do an oil change. I only have 3500 miles on my car. And Greg, the service manager, said that in new high performance racing car, that oil will burn that quickly. Is this correct or is there something seriously wrong with my car.
You have to check your oil level, tire pressure regularly since this is a high performance car. Just wonder did you check your oil level at all since purchased the car
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

*shakes head in shame* how low are you gonna go mitsu..

my warranty for my lancer is gone anyways. in the warranty it states that the car can only be driven 15k miles every year for the warranty to come in play. i love how i had 42k on the clock in 1 and a half years and my tranny is acting weird. i guess im gonna have to take it up the ***
Old Jun 1, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

LpsamsonEvo8
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post an image of the paperwork Mitsubishi gave you. As far as I know, you are one of the first who have come forth with proof that Mitsubishi is messing with them.

You know your situation and what is up with you car, if you think that you are being hosed then you should fight them as xstang said. The warranty is part of the value of the car (regardless what the nay sayers think) and you should fight to retain that value. Don’t think you didn’t pay for that warranty when you bought the car.

Best wishes,
f86sabre
Old Jun 1, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by EVO1320
Just wonder did you check your oil level at all since purchased the car

well i do check my tire pressure regularly but i have never had to check the oil that often. usually 4.5 quarts of oil will last at least 6000 miles even on a high perfromance car.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sheesh this does not sound good, on my Stage 3 GTI I would go 5K miles and never lost an oz of oil during the 35k miles I had it.

I got the car about 3 weeks ago and changed the oil a week after I realized the car was built on May 03. 1 year old oil is not good even if it's synthetic.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by machron1
I know the warranty is no good if you "race" your car, but come on, dodging cones in a parking lot? I know it's technically a "race" because you compete against others, but then again so is road rallying, and the point of road rallying is to stay within the posted speed limits and drive as normally as possible. Most autocross stages last around 30-40 seconds. I find it hard to believe that 30-40 seconds of driving around in a parking lot dodging cones can do any more or less damage than normal aggressive street driving. If you dump your clutch at the start of an event or at a stoplight, it does the same thing. Come on what in the world is going on with you guys?
You don't even have to launch the car at an autocross race. All the ones I've seen, the starting line (where the time starts counting) is like 30-50ft away from the staging line. Launching doesn't really cut much time down, if any.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

I changed mine at 600 miles, then 3750 thereafter. Yes, yours must have something seriously wrong, cuz mine barely burns any oil. Oil burning quickly now means later down the road, it's gonna get worse. Your car should be well broken in by now. Check your oil everytime you goto the gas station as a habit though. It's too expensive of a car to treat as a normal daily.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thoe99
I changed mine at 600 miles, then 3750 thereafter. Yes, yours must have something seriously wrong, cuz mine barely burns any oil. Oil burning quickly now means later down the road, it's gonna get worse. Your car should be well broken in by now. Check your oil everytime you goto the gas station as a habit though. It's too expensive of a car to treat as a normal daily.

yeah but you are only supposed to check your oil when its been sitting there for a while, basically when the engine is cold. So i guess i will just have to check it like once a week before i go to work.

i just hope its not going to be something serious, but i ahve a feeling the tranny broke a gear tooth. Or at least thats what my mechanic told me what it might be.

I also contacted the mitsu. national complaint/service people and they said its really not their problem, and told me to call the vehicle department to try and get a settlement, because he said the dealership will most likely not want to replace the tranny even if it is under warranty.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Checking oil at the gas station is merely to see if there enough oil in there, not for a precise measuring.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LpsamsonEvo8
mitsubishi motors voided my warranty. according from Mr. mike E. from mitsu's 1 800 number, they found out i ax the car through houscca.com and bmw ax website. yes, indeed they are spying on us.
Same situation with my Evo. Here's the thread with more detail.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...5&page=1&pp=15
Old Jun 5, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Subaru gets a free SCCA membership in the glove box, but as I was directly told by the dealer, take that membership out and use it, your warranty is void. They need your VIN number to use the free membership.
Not true. I registered with SCCA and auto-x my car a few times. When my rear strut was leaking, I took it back for warranty and it was fixed.