Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Is Toyota Boring?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Toyota Boring?

What happend to Toyota and performance? The two words don't seem to go together anymore. Mitsubishi has the EVO, Nissan has the 350Z, Mazda has the RX-8, Honda has the NSX and S2000, Subaru has the STI, and Toyota has the... How can a company that created such a well built and performance monster called the Supra Twin Turbo not offer anything with aspiring performance? Sure there is the MR2 Spyder, nice handling, quality braking, and SLOW. Matrix XRS and Corolla XRS, both are SLOW. I say these cars are slow because many cars in their class will show them tail lights any day and any night. Even fixing these cars up is a hassle, there is TRD, but after that there isn't much. I'm sure Toyota is doing just fine, selling it's family friendly and modest performance cars. When many people think of Toyota, they think of reliability and quality, but when I think of Toyota, I think of boring. How does Toyota match up performance wise with Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, and Subaru?
Old Jun 25, 2004, 04:01 PM

Corolla-S blow away lancers.....

My family (asian side) has always used toyota's because my grandfather was a mechanic and toyotas are some of the easiest cars to fix. The parts are much more readily available and tends to be cheaper too.

Performance-wise, you're choices are the MR2 and the Celica... are those even considered choices? I hear they're supposed to bring back the supra though. cross your fingers!!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

if they bring it back (supra) they said it will probably be NA....hmmm ill just buy a used supra
Old Jun 25, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Celicas are pretty fast, i hear they can run like 14s stock. Well and the tC coming out... Not powerhouses anyway but decent.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

You'd be pressed to get a Celica GT-S to run anything quicker than a low 15, bone stock. When TRD finally gets the supercharger out for the GT-S, then yes, you'll see them break the mid-high 14s. They handle well, but that's really it.

I'm the only non-Toyota driver in my family. I've never had one, and unless they change, never will. Why? Because I want my car to be more than an A-B appliance. It can be built like a tank and get solid fuel economy all it wants, but if I'm going to spend $15,000+ on anything, it better do more than just the basics -- even if it does the basics exceedingly well.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

infinity has the g35, dodge has the srt4 (or viper), chrysler has the crossfire, ford has the cobra
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I think Toyota has dropped out of the "fast" car thing. Hopefully they will bring back a turbo Supra or something to that affect.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Bring back the supra!! or the 2-door Levin/Trueno!!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:38 PM

i like old school toyotas such as AE86, corolla liftback (my car in philippes) i also have a heavily modified toyota hilux. it is lowered, land cruiser valve springs, cam 5, adjustable cam gears, headers, and many more. the corolla liftback mostlu has TRD parts on it. and now my friend is selling his AE86 for a 94 toyota supra and i want to get my hands on it. one reason: easy to mod, results are awesome, killer looks (well not compared to EVO, but still)
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

XB! Toyota=Scion=XB. that is the pimpest of pimp cars.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

what about that tc? i mean, no one really knows much about that car yet..
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3000ways
What happend to Toyota and performance? The two words don't seem to go together anymore. Mitsubishi has the EVO, Nissan has the 350Z, Mazda has the RX-8, Honda has the NSX and S2000, Subaru has the STI, and Toyota has the... How can a company that created such a well built and performance monster called the Supra Twin Turbo not offer anything with aspiring performance? Sure there is the MR2 Spyder, nice handling, quality braking, and SLOW. Matrix XRS and Corolla XRS, both are SLOW. I say these cars are slow because many cars in their class will show them tail lights any day and any night. Even fixing these cars up is a hassle, there is TRD, but after that there isn't much. I'm sure Toyota is doing just fine, selling it's family friendly and modest performance cars. When many people think of Toyota, they think of reliability and quality, but when I think of Toyota, I think of boring. How does Toyota match up performance wise with Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda, Honda, and Subaru?

you brought a very good point. I read few weeks ago that Toyota is scared because its market is shifting towards older people. that's why they have the new scion. I love Toyota but I am sure soon they will come out with something. In Japan they have rally corolla which is faster than our EVOS.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imapunkclaimer
infinity has the g35, dodge has the srt4 (or viper), chrysler has the crossfire, ford has the cobra
Heck with the base Crossfire, the SRT-6 is a bloody animal. Too bad it's going to come in at about $46,000 stock -- unfortunately I'd expect a base C6 Corvette to run you a similar price tag. The XFire handles very well, and I'd expect no less from the SRT-6.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Sports cars? Not sporty cars... who has what? This is my list of what qualifies as a "sports car" from each manufacturer, (barring exotics) that is still in production:

Acura .......... NSX
Audi ........... S4
BMW ............ M3 Coupe, Z4 3.0i,
Buick ..........
Cadillac ....... CTS-V
Chevrolet ...... Corvette
Chrysler ....... SRT-6 Crossfire
Dodge .......... SRT-4 Neon, SRT-10 Viper
Ford ........... Mustang GT
GMC ............
Honda .......... S2000
HUMMER .........
Hyundai ........
Infiniti ....... G35 Coupe
Isuzu ..........
Jaguar ......... S-Type R, XKR
Jeep ...........
Kia ............
Land Rover .....
Lexus ..........
Lincoln ........
Maserati ....... Spyder, Coupe
Mazda .......... RX-8
Mercedes-Benz .. C55 AMG, SL55 AMG
Mercury ........
Mini ........... Cooper S JCW
Mitsubishi ..... Lancer Evolution (all variants)
Nissan ......... 350Z
Oldsmobile .....
Pontiac ........ GTO
Porsche ........ Boxster S, 911 (all variants)
Saab ........... 9-2X
Saturn .........
Scion ..........
Subaru ......... Impreza WRX (all variants)
Suzuki .........
Toyota .........
Volkswagen ..... Golf R32
Volvo .......... S60 R, V70 R

So what types of companies lack a sports car?
  • Value-oriented manufacturers (Hyundai, Kia, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki)
  • Truck/utility manufacturers (GMC, Hummer, Isuzu, Jeep, Land Rover)
  • Venerable American luxury manufacturers (Buick, Lincoln, Mercury)
So who does this leave? Toyota/Lexus. Now, they do have some "sporty" cars -- MR2 Spyder, Celica GT-S, IS300, SC430 -- but no true sports car, unless the first three mentioned receive some serious "oomph", or the SC430 trims some weight and runs a considerably more sporty suspension.

Toyota/Lexus seems very out of place with the lack of a true sports car.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dorphat
Corolla-S blow away lancers.....

maybe when hell freezes over

Quick Reply: Is Toyota Boring?