Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What are the differences of the EVO III engine and the USDM 95+ engines?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the differences of the EVO III engine and the USDM 95+ engines?

I am just wondering what are the other differences in these engines other then the big16g and 510 injectors? Anything internal wise?

I am having the EVO III RS swapped into my Tsi AWD along with the tranny. I know the tranny has to have the final drive ratio changed else it'll fry my rear differentials and possibly my center. Does anyone know the difference for this as well? Rally ratios? Stronger?

Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

mmm...There's a FMIC for EVO III 4G63, which is not on the DSM ones...also, the EVO III 4G63 has higher compression ratio 9.0:1 as compared to EVO I and II's 8.5:1.

I'm not sure about DSM, but I guess it's 8.5, right? I would rather go for any EVO II engine for stronger piston. Just my thought
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:55 AM

The compression on DSMs is 8:5

So, mainly the only difference in the engines is the compression ratio? None of the internals are stronger then the other, or anything like that?

I forget why one compression is better then the other. Can you tell me the specifics? I read over it, because I was focusing on looking for something else.

As for the pistons, I can always swap some better ones down the road

Do you know anything about the differences on the transmission?

Reason why I picked this up, is because I got a really good deal on one. $1,500 shipped for everything: engine, tranny, transfer case. with warrenty and inspection. My engine got crankwalk So I am having it swapped in by Jeff Hill of Turbo Trix. And I am sending the tranny to TRE. Hopefully everything will turn out ok.

Thanks for your help Lan Evo. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Hobbes =^.^=; Sep 26, 2002 at 12:58 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

OK, the reason for EVO II engine being better is you can run higher boost level on lower compression ratio engine. In this case, EVO II or DSM engines. On the other hand, as far as I know, only EVO IV+ (CN9A, CP9A and CT9A) 4G63s have strengthen internal.

For various sources (can't remember them all), the gear ratio should be different. If you need, I can look it up for you.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 02:32 AM

Ohh oks I understand now. Thanks for your help.