Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech Bobcat nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your right, everyone makes mistakes, but companies try to make good with their customers... carbotechs attitude is "it doesn't work, **** you guys and as stated by maddmatt EXACTLY, there will be no exchange, refund, or assistance"
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Matt made an honest effort; In a previous post he said he'd ask and see what he could get done. But if you were in his position, just imagine: you're trying to see what can be done and instead you have all these people coming on the board and complaining and bashing, it's hard not to get fed up with some of the retards on this board.

Matt has been a valuable contributor to this board when it comes to brake technology (especially making the truth clear when vendors claim one thing... like "buy these rotors cause they'll make you stop better!" or some **** like that). I just hate to see these people doing senseless bashing when it's clearly unnecessary.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

like "buy these rotors cause they'll make you stop better!" or some **** like that).
kinda like, buy these pads cause they are stock replacement that offer "less noise, and less dust"

credit...they do dust less, but that could be becuase i didnt use my brakes when i had these on, i looked way ahead. so i can thank carbotech for teaching me how to stop my car without brakes.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:18 AM
In Timeout

Ok I see where you are coming from and that's why I put my stock pads back in because they XP's were loud as hell. I did not know they said they were quiet because no ****ing way are they. No on that NSX they are super quiet. It must be something with the evo setup.

Originally posted by Coolguy949

I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut, and it was out of respect for carbotech but now I've been shown theres no reciprocation of that.

If I wanted XP pads I would have bough them, KNOWING THERE WAS A NOISE ISSUE> Unfortunately, Carbotech assured everyone there would be little or no noise. I've already been told a by a few people that my BOBCATS are much louder than their XPs. I never asked Matt for my money back because I was trying to help him figure all this out, over the phone. I was patient, and nice about the whole thing because I know how business is, and how sometimes products arent what they seem. I wasnt going to blow up at Matt, I was just seeking some help reducing the noise.

It's not the issue of buying performance pads for god's sake! THE BOBCATS WHERE MARKETED AS A QUIET STREET PAD FOR THE EVO AND THEY AREN'T. THAT"S WHY EVERYONE IS PISSED OFF!!

You act like everyone in here is a ***** or somehing because they cant handle noise...that's not the issue. If I wanted to buy a red shirt, but it turned white in the wash am I supposed to just live with it? No, I needed a red shirt, not a white shirt.

Lately everyone in this forum thinks they are some hardcore Tommi Makinen that drives some race bred rally car like noise isnt an issue cause they are a race car driver. Everyone give it a rest already. This is about a product not meeting it's expectations, that's all.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

rob, aat the meet i talked to you about this situation with the pads, and told you what i was oging to try. remeber that?
well what i did was

turn the rotors.
use the shims
used about 1 gallon (exaggerated) of anti-squel goop

squels like Ryanmcd3 about my paint...

DIRECTLY FROM CARBOTECH WEBSITE

Carbotech is very pleased to announce the development and release of its newest high performance compound, Bobcat (1521). Bobcat was designed for street, Solo2 and Prosolo competition and has proven to be extremely effective in STS/STX classes where street tires are used. The outstanding characteristics of this material are:

1) Extremely low dusting on the street
2) Excellent cold stopping, perhaps as low as 40F!!
3) Fade resistant to at least 900F
4) Very rotor friendly over entire temperature range
5) Very quiet over broad range of line pressure inputs
6) Incredibly firm pedal feel and excellent initial bite.

This is truly the best street material we have ever evaluated on our personal street cars.Call us toll-free for pricing for your particular vehicle application.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

It occurs to me that perhaps one or more set of "Bobcat" boxes actually got XP pads in them? We've sold a few Carbotech pads now and haven't heard any complaints.

Somebody was mentioning about the bevel on the pad that traps road grit between pad and rotor? The factory pads are beveled in the same way, just FYI. It's a an anti-squeal measure.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Dan, is there any way to tell if I have XPs? My pads were painted red on the backing plate, if that matters.

The reason I ask is because my bobcats have great stopping power compared to the stock pads. I drove one of my customers evos a couple days ago and I noticed how lacking the stock setup is. I have braided lines too, but my bobcat setup stops much better and harder. Its just insanely noisy, that's all. Maybe I do have XPs by accident? If there was less noise, the bobcat would really be the perfect pad for the street. I love the stopping power.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by cityhugo
hi everyone, i don't post much but i have to this time, i have a set of bobcats for my evo frnt and back, IMO, is worst then the stock pads, the loud noise is nothing i have heard before in other cars, if i do like 3X 120-20 breaking, u will hear this loud metal rubbing against metal sound and the brake seem to overheat, and if i finish going to a car wash, the brake will be non-exist for 10min because water get in between the pads and rotor, and the pads are not friendly to rotor, is eating my stock rotor up like carzy, i donno if i got a defected pads or not, but is not normal i can tell u, me and my friend go to tracks a lot and he use to be a in a race team, he say the pads sucks too, i am now looking for new pads and i am not even brother talking to carbontech knowing what they r going to say from what i have heard on the broad, the bottom line is they r pulling the pads off the market for the evo, therefor is must be something wrong with it and it didn't proform like was it advertised, low brake noise, low dust and friendly to the stock rotor. I am willing to send the pads back for them to study it and see what went wrong, but i don't think they will do that, u brought it, thanks for ur business, don't call back! comment maddmatt?
"seem to overheat" that's a technical term. I bet you don't even know what overheating brakes feel like. Please expand.
"eating my stock rotor" Prove it. Where's the proof? I'm guessing you can eyeball 1/100 of a milimeter, right?
"your friend goes to track a lot" what, the local drag strip?
Old Feb 1, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

dont take that persons response from the general populous...while my previous post at the begninning wa sa little harsh, it simply illustrates our loss of patience with these pads and we are at our witts end as too what we are going to do. and even though financially wise it may not be economical to pursuit legal action, it has crossed the pm list to other members and myself. and it wont be money driven, it will be principal driven. heres what we have

Carbotech.com lists a fitting for EVO8 at this time that is a DIRECT STOCK replacement offering less noise, and better stopping, and less fade.
we have verified problems (sound, or otherwise)
Carbotech as confirmed the theory that these pads are not for the EVO.
and their response is "oh well" simple as that.

that is what bothers us. this is not a interior pod. these are brake pads, these are a serious safety issue regarding proper application. and normally manufacturers are held to strict regard for the NHTSA and SAE for brake pads. (both of which Carbotech are not registered with, i have checked) and a claim has been filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Association
Old Feb 1, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice thread.

First, Carbotech is not a vendor on this forum. Considering his attitude, I am not sure he would make a good one.

I am sure we have vendors that offer these pads and as such would have been willing to work with you and the manufacturer with the problem. Coming on here and simply bashing them is not going to get you anywhere.

Finally, I think this thread has run it's course. It's evident that due to Carbotech's policy, they are not going to do anything. If you feel they misrepresented thier product then you have other options to persue the issue. I don't think there is much sense in carrying this thread on further. I will close it and not delete it so that the message by the members who chose to state fact and not flame can be preserved for other members who are interested in the Carbotech brakes.
Old Feb 3, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

This thread has been pruned of all the pointless flaming, posturing and off topic posting.

SC~