Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

anyone actually use that inter-cooler spray?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone actually use that inter-cooler spray?

I have not used mine...it seems stupid.... spray a handfull of fluid (which is not nearly enough to cool anything down) onto a fairly hot piece of metal.? The liquid is not exactly cold anyway...so it would be 110F+++.......

nice idea, but only if you could use a garden hose of 50F water to actually cool the thing down some.

Just curious if anyone used theirs. I never turn it on and I never manually make it work.... i am almost certain it does nothing.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

the liquid being cold is not the point. The point is through evaporation you will cause a reduction in heat. this is due to the heat going into enegry to cause the water to vaporize. This is the same principle of a swamp cooler. It does work
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:33 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

What he said. If it still bothers you then hook up a old school fuel can packed with ice and run the fluid through it first. I doubt its going to do any difference.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still breaking the car in so I haven't done much beyond turning it on to be sure the dash indicator lights up. I did hear one of the magazine reviews say they were able to smell the steam when they had it on so they knew it was working. I've only had the switch on Auto while sitting still so maybe someone that has used it will let us know if they can feel or smell a difference.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Has to do with the efficienty of heat transfer, even if the water is the same temp as the IC is. Water is more efficient at transfering heat.

Here is a little example. The survival of a human is increased in air as opposed to water of the same temperature (assuming a life vest so you don't get tired and you don't get eaten by sharks) because the heat is trasferred away from your body faster in water than in the air.

Saying that, I have not really used the water sprayer, because when I did a few dyno runs with and without the IC spray, it made absolutely no difference in the short sprint.

Maybe at a road circuit when you heat soak the IC after many laps of WOT, it may make a diff....
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

also note the IC spray will only turn on in auto when the computer feels its needed(no need to spray it to cool down a car at idle huh) under hard driving. just thought youmight want to know that since you were only idleing and could not smell it
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I did read that so I wasn't expecting it at idle....that was why I asked for someone that had used it at speed...
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:28 AM
In Timeout

I was at Road atlanta this weekend and yes it does work well. Set it to auto and fill up the tank.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

I would assume there is some chance of excess liquid not turning into steam and dripping onto the ground....... not sure anyone driving 9/10's cares to slide due to **** that I dumpd onto the track.????

I would think the roadcourse and dragstrip's should tell people to shut it off.????
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:18 PM
N/A
Evolving Member

Its not dumping water onto the ground. The water comes out in amounts too small to leave a puddle or wet spot on the track.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Check your local track rules. I know the track out here in So Cal says absolutly no liquids may leak from your car, that can be from any source including condesation from AC. They are strict here.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

any liquid in the smallest amount is enough to upset a car that is threshhold braking, turning, etc........ I would not ever run my spray at the track for fear of killing someone else!

Originally posted by N/A
Its not dumping water onto the ground. The water comes out in amounts too small to leave a puddle or wet spot on the track.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What? Your not going to kill anyone spraying your IC water.

If 5ml of water is going to make your car lose traction, you better get some new tires. The small amount of water that is being directed towards the intercooler will in no way have a chance to land on the pavement, especially in the path of your tires.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You ever notice why you sweat when you're hot? Sweating is the human's natural way of cooling you down when it evaporates. Water can change temperature much faster than your skin can, so when you walk while sweating (breeze going over the skin), it provides cooler temperatures for your skin.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think the spray could possibly land on the track if you're moving at speed. Sitting in a parking lot, with the switch held down, it took several seconds before my buddy's EVO dripped on the pavement, and even then, the amount was so insignificant that a hot track surface would boil it off within just a few seconds, maybe sooner.

Driving into a puddle will cause loss of traction. Hot pavement, combined with hot rubber will prevent any danger from hitting someone's IC spray drip.

Of course, if you sit still and empty the whole tank on the track before you get moving, you might cause a problem.

Quick Reply: anyone actually use that inter-cooler spray?