Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Project STI - Stage I + - 350 tq - 308 whp

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 02:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project STI - Stage I + - 350 tq - 308 whp

Guys, I am working on a little project non related to Evos but interesting to me and maybe interesting to some of you. I will update as the project unfolds.

Great news I already have some good sponsorship support so things should move quickly.

Its a STI 2005 that is the new Dyno Flash street driver car and a project I am trying to go 11's on the stock turbo for now

Here is the first round of mods and tune

K & N Typhoon Intake
Helix Down Pipe
Greddy Evo 2 Cat Back
Exhuast header 4 / 1
Walbro fuel pump 255 LPH
Turbo XS fmic
Custom Dyno Flash Road Tuned with ecu controlled boost - Ecutek

20 psi max on 93 octane pump gas

Low end TQ is great but the boost is falling down to 14 psi on the top end - I am going to try some wastgate modifications as I feel that is the problem area

I would like to think that this dyno sheet exhibits the classic Dyno Flash smoothness and linear power delivery as my Evo flashes. Its still slower than an Evo but I am working on that!

Attached Thumbnails Project STI - Stage I + - 350 tq - 308 whp-dynosheet3.jpg  
Old Sep 26, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Al if you dont mind me asking,
How much AVCS plotting did you do for that tune? Just curious. Power seems a little low, but the curve doesnt look bad at all.
Good Luck,
Mitch M
Old Sep 26, 2006, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Damn Al looks good. Glad I could see the car at your trip to NC. I heard the STi tune went ok with some boost issues. I rode in the car last night and it felt pretty damn strong to me. by the way since my better tune you gave me Im hoping to go 11's next weekend.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
Damn Al looks good. Glad I could see the car at your trip to NC. I heard the STi tune went ok with some boost issues. I rode in the car last night and it felt pretty damn strong to me. by the way since my better tune you gave me Im hoping to go 11's next weekend.

Thanks man

Your pals' STI had some serious wastgate issues

Simple enough to fix - advise him I suggest to weld the wastegate flapper shut and get a ULTIMATE RACING external wastegate upipe and TIAL 44 mm wastegate with external dump tube

That will fix the major boost creep that he was exhibiting with that 20 G

IMHO the FP Green is a better choice on a STI and I would also stay with an external wastegate

On your car be sure to run some decent race gas and crank the boost up to 28 psi peak - that should be good for an easy 11

The knock counts you had with that tank of gas you should come by and see me for a re-check and adjustmet when I come back there which may be soon as the AEM equiped Evo had problems and needs to have additional attention and so does the STI obviously. I am hoping to return before mid November at the latest

Good luck at the track !
Old Sep 26, 2006, 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Al if you dont mind me asking,
How much AVCS plotting did you do for that tune? Just curious. Power seems a little low, but the curve doesnt look bad at all.
Good Luck,
Mitch M
I believe the car is having wastgate issues as the wastegate is blowing open

I am going to try the home depot spring mod 1st and a external wastegate second to address the situation

The AVCS adjustment was having no effect on boost past 5500 rpms

Al
Old Sep 26, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Thanks man

Your pals' STI had some serious wastgate issues

Simple enough to fix - advise him I suggest to weld the wastegate flapper shut and get a ULTIMATE RACING external wastegate upipe and TIAL 44 mm wastegate with external dump tube

That will fix the major boost creep that he was exhibiting with that 20 G

IMHO the FP Green is a better choice on a STI and I would also stay with an external wastegate

On your car be sure to run some decent race gas and crank the boost up to 28 psi peak - that should be good for an easy 11

The knock counts you had with that tank of gas you should come by and see me for a re-check and adjustmet when I come back there which may be soon as the AEM equiped Evo had problems and needs to have additional attention and so does the STI obviously. I am hoping to return before mid November at the latest

Good luck at the track !

Yup as soon as i saw what his car was doing, i thought he was havin a prob with that wastegate. I also got some fresh gas and my car feels alot better. When you do come down again hopefully I will have my Alky ordered from you and installed by teh next trip. Hope everything works out with that AEM evo also.... if looked like it was a ***** to tune.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

I got a question. Why doesnt torque/power cross at 5252 rpm like it does on EVERY dyno?? I would check the settings of the dyno

Last edited by hopper; Sep 26, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

number intervals on each side of the graph are different.(50 hp)
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by hopper
I got a question. Why doesnt torque/power cross at 5252 rpm like it does on EVERY dyno?? I would check the settings of the dyno
The scaling of the tq and whp are different on the sides of the chart

The tq and whp are identical at 5250
Old Sep 26, 2006, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Your numbers are nearly identical to my 2005 STi. With stage 2 and a custom dynotune from Jorge I was able to hit 304 whp & 342 wtq. Do you really think there is anymore power to be had out of the stock VF39? In my opinion the FP Green is the next logical step because the VR39 is maxed at 300~ hp.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:02 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Max-Q
Your numbers are nearly identical to my 2005 STi. With stage 2 and a custom dynotune from Jorge I was able to hit 304 whp & 342 wtq. Do you really think there is anymore power to be had out of the stock VF39? In my opinion the FP Green is the next logical step because the VR39 is maxed at 300~ hp.
Well my next steps will help to answer those questions - I am going to push that stock turbo to its limits
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Well my next steps will help to answer those questions - I am going to push that stock turbo to its limits
Owned an 05 STI....

Try an uppipe and go catless. About all you can do unless you do meth. Really don't see the point to this though, but hey.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big AL,it will be misson impossible without nitrous unless you are using nitrous.BTW,great power.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolving Member

^ yeah what he said. That VF39 just falls on its face above 6,000 rpm's and you have it pretty much maxed out except for meth.

Maybe try a CFDS, brakeman lightweight brake rotors and strip that bad boy all the way down throw some race gas in with a big shot of nitrous and hope for 1 good pass before you blow it up and you might get an 11 sec run in.

I hope you can do it but I honestly don't think you can.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 03:19 AM
H4N

Originally Posted by boomn29
Owned an 05 STI....

Try an uppipe and go catless. About all you can do unless you do meth. Really don't see the point to this though, but hey.
STi already come uppipe catless... but like you said i think the next big step would be meth....

Quick Reply: Project STI - Stage I + - 350 tq - 308 whp