Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Willwood EVO 8/9 Lightweight Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2006, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS Willwood EVO 8/9 Lightweight Brake Kit

AMS Willwood Lighweight Brake Kit

Available only through AMS.

AMS has partnered with Willwood to design a lighweight brake kit for All EVO VIII's and IX's

This lightweight but very street-able brake kit shaves 32 lbs from your EVO, 22 of which is reduced from the rotating mass! Using a robust Wilwood forged 4 piston caliper, this kit retains great stopping power making it very street-able. The vented vane rotor is 11.75” in diameter (stock is 12.75”) and features a lightweight aluminum hat. We supply the rotor and hat pre-assembled with safety wire. We also throw in a set of high performance Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines . This kit is designed to fit over 15” rims with the appropriate wheel spacers. For the drag racer or short course (solo II) auto-x’er looking for that extra edge, this is it. Less weight (sprung & rotating) means quicker acceleration, less parts breakage, and quicker suspension response. This is the same kit we developed and use on our 1000hp EVO VIII which has hauled us down from over 150mph drag passes with ease! This Kit is a far superior and a much safer alternative than using EVO RS brakes or adapting other single/dual piston Mitsubishi calipers.

Note: While this kit provides great stopping power, the reduced weight of the rotor assembly means there is less thermal mass and thus it is not recommended for sustained high braking applications like track days, time trials, or road racing.

Kit includes:

Wilwood Forged 4-piston Caliper assembled with our custom adapter bracket
Wilwood Brake Pads – BP-10 Medium Friction “Smart Pad” Street/Track
11.75” Vented rotor & Aluminum Hat (Assembled & Safety wired)
Goodridge S.S. braided high performance brake lines & fittings.

Price: $995.00

Eric
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so you would not recommend this for short track sessions?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

I figure that kit is designed for lower diameter wheels than stock?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds great but this:
Quote:
Note: While this kit provides great stopping power, the reduced weight of the rotor assembly means there is less thermal mass and thus it is not recommended for sustained high braking applications like track days, time trials, or road racing.

This kit would mainly only used for street use and drag racing so lets say im pushing the car hard down the highway you know brake here and there and if there i something in the mid of the road or i have to slam on the brakes for whatever reason this setup might not stop because the rotors are flameing hot or the heat is to much to the point where the brakes wont be able to stop. Well you know what i mean this setup is mainly for people that are going to track the car and any weight you can save counts?

Sorry Eric i got to ask cuz well you know me im always ready to try anything you offer but this is something i would like to know and i assume others wil have the same ?
Old Feb 14, 2006, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

These brakes are still vastly superior to anything ever equipped on ANY Mitsubishi made prior to the Evo VIII. They would be quite the upgrade to my Galant VR-4, even with its slotted/drilled rotors and good pads.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
These brakes are still vastly superior to anything ever equipped on ANY Mitsubishi made prior to the Evo VIII. They would be quite the upgrade to my Galant VR-4, even with its slotted/drilled rotors and good pads.
Galant brakes with good pads can never lose. I swear I had done 8g's of decelleration a few times evading the authorities with those puppies.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Julio what that disclaimer means is that durring a heavy track day towards the end of the seesion when brakes are at there hottest they wouldnt have the ability to disapate heat as well as a big brake kit. For what you stated they would be fine.

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Just so we are clear these brakes are EVO VIII specific.

Eric
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
hmm, so I guess the brembos on the EVO 7, 6 and 5 pretty much suck huh

Dont want to sound negative but arent the rotors actually smaller than the OEM pieces?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Just so we are clear these brakes are EVO VIII specific.

Eric
what about Evo IX?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_z
Dont want to sound negative but arent the rotors actually smaller than the OEM pieces?
That is the whole point. It is for people looking to run 15" wheels with slicks.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also note that these a similar to the AP kits that are used on rally preped evo's to allow them to run 15" wheels and gravel tires.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

yes but these brakes are much lighter than the stock brakes and the ap's
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

whose car is that with the small brake kit? getting ready for smaller rims and street slicks?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 01:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Thats fimotorsports' car

yes you can run 15" wheels with these brakes.

Eric

Quick Reply: AMS Willwood EVO 8/9 Lightweight Brake Kit