Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SCCA is classifying the EVO 8 for Auto-X now.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SCCA is classifying the EVO 8 for Auto-X now.

SCCA is deciding the classification of the Evo 8 now. Once the class is soon determined and published in the FasTrack newsletter, it is a long and difficult process to change.

As of now, in the stock class, the Evo is in Super Stock with the ZO6.
It could go to A-Stock against well sorted C4 vettes and E46 M3s. Remember the Evo’s advantage of superior shocks and tires would be equalized by the rules.
The Evo probably should be classed in B-Stock with the dominant S2000s and also 350Zs and E36 M3s.

As far as Street Prepared it should probably be classed in ESP. It would be tough to compete against the seriously tired as fast Vettes in BSP, and the 405+ hp ZO6s in ASP. No boost control is legal for turbos in the SP classes

The Evo was already excluded from STX months ago. This tells us that maybe the SCCA is basing the performance of the Evo 8 on the Evo7, which is a superior auto-x car.

SCCA members need to let the SCCA know the facts about the Evo 8, i.e.; false horsepower specs and inherent understeer from lack of AYC and ACD.

The SCCA contact is Doug Gill (nice guy) who will forward it to the SEB board. dgill@scca.com

The SCCA rulings on classes are almost always used by local clubs also.

Thanks!

SCCA car classification page:
http://scca.com/amateur/solo2/classes/index.html

FasTrack:
http://scca.com/news/tech/seb/index.html
Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Already emailed them this past Friday evening after reading about your nats event and classification. No reply as yet, but they should have the idea that at least some SCCA members are a bit ticked over their WAG classing.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I emailed a regional and national SCCA person about a week ago asking about classification, haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully the Evo doesn't land in SS... no reason that it should, but you never know...
Old Mar 25, 2003, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks trigeek37,

I talked to Doug Gill about classing less than 2 weeks ago, and the top guy Howard Duncan put the EVO in SS on the spot. My concern is that unless more people (EVO owners!) write in before FasTrack is released on the web, the SCCA is going to leave it there. Some times it takes 2 years of a car being spanked until the big govening body properly classifies it.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SS RX7 r2
Thanks trigeek37,

I talked to Doug Gill about classing less than 2 weeks ago, and the top guy Howard Duncan put the EVO in SS on the spot. My concern is that unless more people (EVO owners!) write in before FasTrack is released on the web, the SCCA is going to leave it there. Some times it takes 2 years of a car being spanked until the big govening body properly classifies it.
I emailed Doug too...
anyway, to those that are concerned about SCCA auto-x stuff, shoot Doug an email at: dgill@scca.com so we can get the Evo classified.

Imho a-stock is where is shoud fit I think... bout the same hp/weight ratio as many of the cars in that catigory. and if it proves to be too fast, then bump it up, (wouldn't be the first time the SCCA has changed a car's class) but not until to proves to be too fast. it sucks going to solo events knowing you have to drive perfectly just to do well. I know it's all about improving your skill & having fun, but it's still nice to place well

oh and SS, what year R2 do you drive? I just sold my 93 R1 in December to make way for the Evo... I already miss that car
Old Mar 25, 2003, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Trigeek,

I have a black '94 R2 - awesome car. I was tired getting beat by Zo6s and I'd hate to have the Evo placed in SS also. As far as AS hp, I saw some of the top E46 M3s (Bob Tunnel's) hauling *** last week at the SD tour - 350hp?, and the top C4's were stomping him.Although the C4s would have a more comparable hp-wt ratio to the Evo.
Unfortunatly the all important allowable front swaybar upgrade won't do squat for an Evo. The car pushes the sweepers but is stable in slaloms.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

I hear you... my 93 R1 just couldn't keep up with the Z06s. Same thing with my 1995 cobra. by 1997 the 305 HP 4.6 DOHC Cobras & 305 HP LT1 f-bodies had a sizable HP advantage that usually proved to be too much. I would have to DRIVE 2 seconds quicker just to keep pace. It becomes less and less fun getting beat even though you are making really clean runs.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Any news...
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Just rumors so far...

SCCA Forums discussion
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:55 PM

Are you on crack? There's no WAY the evo should be in B-stock. If it is, anyone who buys it got ripped off. Four wheel drive plus "the best handling ever" plus 30-40 odd more HP than an e36 M3 really ought to count for something.

It's not as clear with BSP, but e36 M3s do very well there, too. If you can't step up there, I'd be very suspicious of the car.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Its a moot point anyways, as I just received word from Doug Gill:

Hi, Ian,

New cars are hard to class, so the Solo Events Board likes to see one for real at a dealership or at an event before they are officially classed. Rather than keeping new, unclassed cars from running, there is an allowance that lets those cars run in SS until they are classed. Until it's published in FasTrack which can take a while, the Evo was only allowed in SS, but it was always a temporary measure.

In the May FasTrack which should be on-line soon, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (03+) is classed in A Stock (AS) for 2003.

Hope this helps.
Doug Gill
SCCA Solo Technical Manager
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 2Cool
Its a moot point anyways, as I just received word from Doug Gill:

Hi, Ian,

New cars are hard to class, so the Solo Events Board likes to see one for real at a dealership or at an event before they are officially classed. Rather than keeping new, unclassed cars from running, there is an allowance that lets those cars run in SS until they are classed. Until it's published in FasTrack which can take a while, the Evo was only allowed in SS, but it was always a temporary measure.

In the May FasTrack which should be on-line soon, the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (03+) is classed in A Stock (AS) for 2003.

Hope this helps.
Doug Gill
I just got a similar email from Doug... don't know what to think, though I would have rather the evo started in b-stock and then moved if it proved to dominate. oh well....

Hi, Eric,
It's in the May FasTrack which should be on-line soon. The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution ('03+) is classed in A Stock (AS) for 2003.

Hope this helps.

Doug Gill
1-800-770-2055
dgill@scca.com or
solotech@scca.com