Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO VIII Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:59 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO VIII Dyno Results

Just got off the dyno with an EVO VIII. Car made 258whp and 270lb/ft of torque, full boost comes on incredibly quick. Peak boost is around 20psi and drop to 16psi very quickly and stays there. Looks like Mitsubishi was a little conservative on the HP figures they gave out. 12% drivetrain loss comes out to about 290 crank HP. 'Playing around' with a few things and with the car still stock, no add-on parts or boost controller we made 280whp and 287lb/ft of torque. From what we've learned today there are big gains still to be made with minor mods. Dyno plots will be up tomorrow.

Martin

http://www.automotosports.com/evo8dyno3.jpg

http://www.automotosports.com/evo8dyno4.jpg
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:09 AM

That was on the US Version correct if so
Old Mar 11, 2003, 01:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!! that's very encouraging. Thanks for the info.

What kinda dyno is that ? Can't really see if the back wheels were on rollers.

Oh yeah... 4WD's usually have more like 24% drive train loss and not 12%. That would put crank output closer to 320hp. Which would be awesome. I hope that's the case, but maybe that particular vehicle was endowed with a few more hormones than the rest of the heard.

Either way coooooool.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 02:04 AM
Evolving Member

hmm first there is a post from someone else sayong thier dyno's were to low to post and now we have one with incredible numbers. i dunno but i hope the rest of the dyno's turn out like this guys. if thats the case then im prob gonna try and save and get me an evo one of these days. damn and it amazes me how with just a couple of modifications on a stock evo can produce another 30-50 hp. im not saying i dun believe it. i am jsut dying wanting the car. id anyone in the Colorado area would like to give this poor boy a 10 min ride in their evo it would be greatly appreciated. jsut bored so i posted.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 03:35 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

This is a US EVO VIII and it is on done a dynojet dynamometer. The car was converted to FWD for dyno/product testing purposes. We have already begun testing of new products for the EVO VIII that we have made and we are working on a dyno proven upgrade path for these cars.
Can I ask what about this other person that didn't want to post, what dyno was he on? The dynojet is a rather accurate and repeatable to measure HP. For example a corvette ZO6 is claimed to make 415whp, while on our dyno it puts down 355-360whp, about a 12%-15% loss. I wouldn't worry about exact dyno numbers as long as you use the same type of dyno to show improvments when upgrading the car.

Martin
Old Mar 11, 2003, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=15958

thats the thread. he said something like 190 whp i think. they dyno'd like three of them or something. but i think he is using the best dyno or something. i dun know much so dun quote meon anything.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 06:05 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all four wheels were driven on the dyno is'nt it likely the car would have made more like 223 WHP? Couple that with the fact that most Dynojets measure higher WHP baselines than say a Mustang Dyno and maybe then this is a ballpark number.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't get all excited about the numbers, cause they converted the car to FWD. Get results from an AWD dyno then look at the numbers. Sure those numbers are impressive, but a little skewd with just using the front tires. I'm sure that with an AWD dyno the numbers would closely reflect the ~271hp. I'm gonna give benefit of the doubt in that they fiddled the numbers to make people happy here in the US.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nightrider
hmm first there is a post from someone else sayong thier dyno's were to low to post and now we have one with incredible numbers. i dunno but i hope the rest of the dyno's turn out like this guys. if thats the case then im prob gonna try and save and get me an evo one of these days. damn and it amazes me how with just a couple of modifications on a stock evo can produce another 30-50 hp. im not saying i dun believe it. i am jsut dying wanting the car. id anyone in the Colorado area would like to give this poor boy a 10 min ride in their evo it would be greatly appreciated. jsut bored so i posted.
The other "low" dyno you mention is the AWD dyno from Vishnu, which, as they've already stated, always reads much lower than other dynos. On top of that, for some reason, their particular car is reading lower than expected.

The dyno number in this thread are on a dynojet, which read higher... and they converted the car to FWD. 258 fwhp does not equal 258 4whp.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:30 AM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Obviously going with FWD you don't have loss through the transfer case, rear diff, and the tires, which could account for another 10% loss. Again all dyno's are different and if you see a consistant correlation between what you're getting at the wheels and what cars are rated at the flywheel than you can make an eductated guess at how close the numbers are. The important thing is that you use the same dyno when doing upgrades and then you can accurately compare HP levels between upgrades.

We have a WRX wagon and the EVO will kill the wagon in straight line acceleration even with the WRX having 3" turbo back exhaust, MBC at 16psi and a UTEC. One of my employees has a '90 talon running 16psi 3" turbo back exhaust & some other small mods and on this level the car will run high 13.8-13.9 at 95-96mph. From a roll the EVO pulled on him through a few gears and then we let off, so I know if driven hard it should pull anywhere from 13.5-13.7 at almost 100mph. I just read that other dyno result thread for the first time, maybe CA cars get less power But honestly, from tuning the 4G63t for a few years now we know what to expect, and just from driving it we know it's making good power.

Martin
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AMS
This is a US EVO VIII and it is on done a dynojet dynamometer. The car was converted to FWD for dyno/product testing purposes.
Martin
May I ask how you guys were able to convert to FWD?
I thought the center diff. was mechanical.

I believe if you're a reliable shop, you should have in your disposal a true AWD dyno chassis and not something that might inflate the "real world" numbers!
Old Mar 11, 2003, 11:42 AM
-LD

i'd be a lot more careful posting FWD dyno numbers on AWD cars...i remember vishnu did this with the WRX when they first started releasing numbers and took a TON of flack for it

"converting" an AWD car to FWD can't possibly give reliable, realistic results so the results should only be taken with a grain of salt until a real AWD dyno is used

saying you got 258whp with a stock Evo VIII is completely incorrect, inaccurate, and misleading IMHO
Old Mar 11, 2003, 12:05 PM

Re: EVO VIII Dyno Results

Originally posted by AMS
J'Playing around' with a few things and with the car still stock, no add-on parts or boost controller we made 280whp and 287lb/ft of torque.
Sooooo, the car isn't stock anymore if you "play around" and find 22 extra hp. Something had to change: ECU maps, taking off cats, extra hamster in the cage, etc.

TRS
Old Mar 11, 2003, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by -LD
i'd be a lot more careful posting FWD dyno numbers on AWD cars...i remember vishnu did this with the WRX when they first started releasing numbers and took a TON of flack for it

"converting" an AWD car to FWD can't possibly give reliable, realistic results so the results should only be taken with a grain of salt until a real AWD dyno is used

saying you got 258whp with a stock Evo VIII is completely incorrect, inaccurate, and misleading IMHO
I guess I don't see your point. Its not misleading. We all know exactly what the conditions are and understand the number is going to be a bit closer to the crank hp that Mitsu did on their dyno. How could this though be any more misleading than every car manufacturer claiming a hp number for their car. Not one of them rates it at the wheels.

For a very long time removing the xfer case and running on a 2 wheel dyno was the only way to do it.
I also would prefer AMS to save their money and spend it developing good parts for us. I don't want to help them pay for an AWD dyno when I buy stuff from them. The difference in dynos will make absolutly no difference in developing parts for the car.

This shop also has a proven track record. If they can take a 195hp (crank) 3500+ lb car, and put it into the 10's, I can only imagine what they can do with the Evo.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

atleast they have to ***** to actually post dyno plots...they may not be here yet buthe said soon...where r the plots from the other guy

Quick Reply: EVO VIII Dyno Results