Notices
Lancer General Come on in and discuss the US Lancer.

2004 Lancer press release, pics, and now, TEST DRIVE!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2003, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2.4l MIVEC to power RAlliArt Lancer!!!!

It's official a 2.4l version featuring 's MIVEC VVT system will power the in between RalliArt Lancer. It will see it's world launch in Chicago!

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?...tsubishi&arc=n
Old Feb 10, 2003, 09:30 AM

can you do me a favor and post the story here? i cant get into the page, it says i need to be registered....
Old Feb 10, 2003, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

ditto....should be a short article anyhow...
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi Motors North America will change the way it spends advertising funds to allow for the introduction of four products this calendar year.

Mitsubishi's factory advertising has covered new products and existing models. But starting with the arrival of the Endeavor sport wagon, Lancer Evolution rally car, Lancer wagon and redesigned Galant, Mitsubishi will market only the new cars.

Mitsubishi will rely on its dealer marketing associations to keep consumer interest simmering in older products such as the Montero and Eclipse, Greg O'Neill, Mitsubishi Motors North America sales chief, told dealers at the make meeting. Funding for the dealer association ads is one-third from Mitsubishi, two-thirds from dealers.

Dealer council chairman Don Herring, who has two Mitsubishi stores near Plano, Texas, predicted "the biggest advertising commitment from Mitsubishi this year."

O'Neill said advertising expenses would rise 10 percent over 2002. Despite the product proliferation, Mitsubishi has the backing of the parent company to spend the appropriate funds to get all four introductions off the ground, he added.

Although sparing details, O'Neill said the new Galant will be "bigger, sexier, with a compelling interior ... the current one is good inside, but you can do so much more."

The four additions to the lineup don't include incremental changes to other lines as well.

Mitsubishi told dealers about a performance upgrade to the Lancer that will fit between the OZ Rally edition and the Evolution. The vehicle, with modifications by Ralliart, will include Mitsubishi's 2.4-liter MIVEC engine and suspension upgrades, O'Neill said. It too will arrive in 2003.

A reskinned version of the Diamante also comes for the 2004 model year, with a family resemblance in the front fascia as well as more luxury touches.

Mitsubishi is working on retaining owners by waiving payments with three months remaining on a loan.

O'Neill said many Eclipse buyers left the franchise for an SUV. But with the SUV lineup expanded from two to four - with the addition of the Outlander and Endeavor - Mitsubishi has a better shot at keeping owners loyal.

That's a departure from the mid-1990s, when Mitsubishi's product lineup grew, but the marketing funds slowed to a trickle once the launches were complete.

But the new-era Mitsubishi is a different animal, said Ramsay Gillman, a multifranchise Houston dealer.

"Mitsubishi is looking like Honda was years ago," Gillman said. "It's becoming a main stream of income for dealers, not just an also-ran franchise."

Enjoy!
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be getting a ralliart lancer I think....that way I can just swap over some pieces to this lancer and trade in the old one...
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I can't wait to see the price tag of the ralliart (and the insurances price tag) and to see the lancer wagon (yeah you can diss all you want, I like wagons to haul my snowboards, mountain bikes, wakeboards, sound system, etc).

Etienne
Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:54 AM

i think ill get a ralliart lancer too. thats what i was waiting to hear, and im glad i waited. now all i need to find out is the cost, and maybe what it will look like
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

ill just be doing a swap... make a sleeper oz lol good news though thanks for the article
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

The same engine is expected to power a more powerful Outlander, and the next Galant (4-banger) as well.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

so what are we lookin at? 160-180 hp?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:47 AM

thats what ive heard. fair increase i would say...
it amazes me how some of you guys find this info. im always looking around for new info on the '04 lancer and i never find anything. can you give some suggetions as to where the best sites to look are?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

160-180hp is reasonable. I'm sure we'll know the actual figures after the launch at the Chcago autoshow this weekend.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:49 AM

oh its this weekend? i didnt realize it was this close. so i take it this is when we'll find out more about the ralliart lancer?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

i'll be at the auto show on opening night for public viewers..i think i'll be able to take my digital camera with me so i can get u guys some pictures! ill be there sittin in the Evo and the new OZ Lancer
-Bob
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

this is the kind of stuff that makes me upset every time you turn around something makes the current lancers look like geos as far as performance goes anyway

Last edited by ROB281; Feb 11, 2003 at 11:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer press release, pics, and now, TEST DRIVE!