Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much for the EVO 7 AYC?

Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
How much for the EVO 7 AYC?

I was wondering if anyone have a pricing on the brand new AYC unit (the whole thing) from the EVO 7? Use part price would help also!

Thanks

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you're not planning to install that onto your car.

You will have to get the whole system including the rear diff portion (w/ LSD), hydralic pump, lines, wires and the AYC ECUs...
Old Oct 28, 2002, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Data collection phase...

Originally posted by Lan Evo
[B]I hope you're not planning to install that onto your car.
Yup, currently collecting the data...but it all depends on the new EVO...and its specs!

Also posted by Lan Evo
You will have to get the whole system including the rear diff portion (w/ LSD), hydraulic pump, lines, wires and the AYC ECUs...
That is definitely one of the ways to go. But, that is not what I am planning on doing.

BTW, what did you mean by the "whole system including the rear diff portion"? Are you trying to say that hydraulic part and diff part are two separate units? I was under the impression that there is only one unit in there and everything is inside. That is why I specified the whole unit originally...

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

mmm....as far as I can tell, the hydralic pumps are not located within the "main" portion of the AYC (rear diff). In addtion, you will need to install sensors onto your steering wheels, connecting to the AYC ECU.

For a performance car, I see a good mech LSD is the way to go (Cusco LSD), just my opinion
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

mmm....as far as I can tell, the hydralic pumps are not located within the "main" portion of the AYC (rear diff). In addtion, you will need to install sensors onto your steering wheels, connecting to the AYC ECU.
So, is that pump somewhere in the engine compartment driven by a belt of something? In that case, that would be another power draining parasite that would affect engine performances a bit.

So far, I didn't hear about this, but if there is a pump, it would have to be driven somehow and the best place would be somewhere close to the engine.

Anyone knows more about this?

Also posted by Lan Evo
For a performance car, I see a good mech LSD is the way to go (Cusco LSD), just my opinion
Well, as of now, nobody that I know makes one for my car. So I would have to be a genie pig for someone willing to build one.

On the other hand, this whole idea sounds pretty interesting and it will bring me back with the stuff that I liked doing a while back - control systems. Either way I go, I should be able to learn a lot and have fun doing it. If it works at the end, that would be even better!

As of regular LSD being enough for the rear, I don't think that is completely true, and at the time I believe that you need to have something active in there to make a best use of the AWD system that is in there already.

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

I hope you're not planning to install that onto your car.

You will have to get the whole system including the rear diff portion (w/ LSD), hydralic pump, lines, wires and the AYC ECUs...
Actually if you look around you will probably find all the necessary parts. A few people have removed the AYC bits in favor of LSD. Try Claudius, I think he changed his.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Braf
Actually if you look around you will probably find all the necessary parts. A few people have removed the AYC bits in favor of LSD. Try Claudius, I think he changed his.
You are right about the Claudius, but he has an EVO 6 TME and I am looking for the one from EVO 7.

Thanks tough...

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 28, 2002, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Wheel speed sensors, steering position sensor, two g-sensors, AYC ECU, electrically driven hydraulic pump, hydraulic lines, hydraulic reservoir… Did I miss anything? I doubt the changes between the Evo 6 and 7 are noteworthy.

The AYC pump and reservoir is located to the RH side of the trunk. The whole mechanism uses three kinds of fluid. Gear oil for the open diff., Dextron II for the hydraulics and SP III for the AYC clutches. AYC fluid is apparently no longer available so SP III has been substituted.

Figures quoted by someone who has done the swap suggests that you are adding about forty pounds to your vehicle. With your apparent knowledge of control systems it would be interesting to see if you can make it all work in a worthwhile way.

For motor sports use I would suggest a very short service interval for the AYC fluid.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 01:33 PM

Lan Evo is right, the AYC pump is actually a separate electric unit found in the rear of the car. Check out this page, which was posted by erikgj on another thread:

http://www.lancerregister.com/faq/G04/g04.html

There is also a simple ECU schematic, so you can examine exactly what inputs the ECU expects to operate the AYC. Hope that helps
Old Oct 28, 2002, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Braf
Wheel speed sensors, steering position sensor, two g-sensors, AYC ECU, electrically driven hydraulic pump, hydraulic lines, hydraulic reservoir… Did I miss anything? I doubt the changes between the Evo 6 and 7 are noteworthy.
All of those parts you mentioned already are on my car and they would be reused (exception is the steering angle sensor and hydraulics). And you did miss a throttle positioning sensor

Well, people are saying that EVO 7 is much better regarding the active stuff compared to the EVO 6. Do you think that the main reason for that is addition of the ACD or AYC is improved as well?

Also posted by Braf
The AYC pump and reservoir is located to the RH side of the trunk. The whole mechanism uses three kinds of fluid. Gear oil for the open diff., Dextron II for the hydraulics and SP III for the AYC clutches. AYC fluid is apparently no longer available so SP III has been substituted.
That makes perfect sense! Diff it self is separated into three chambers and they are populated with different fluids, since they are doing different things (standard diff on the driver side, gears in the middle and clutches on the passenger side).

And posted by Braf
Figures quoted by someone who has done the swap suggests that you are adding about forty pounds to your vehicle. With your apparent knowledge of control systems it would be interesting to see if you can make it all work in a worthwhile way.

For motor sports use I would suggest a very short service interval for the AYC fluid.
40 lbs is a lot of weight. The good thing about that is that you are adding weight in the rear. That passenger corner is the lightest one on the car anyway (DSM I mean), so that shouldn't affect the weight balance too much!

Great info Braf! Thanks

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 29, 2002, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Are you talking about all this for your Talon? If so there is just about no way your going to make it work and have it increase performance. You are much better off getting a suspension upgrade and maybe going with the LSD's.
Here is one offered by Road Race Engineering:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ecldrivetrain.htm

See bottom of the page.

if this is for your DSM, you are trying to take a system and slap it on, and it will likely underperform, especially since your cars weight distribution and handling characteristics are probably nothing like the EVO.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
Are you talking about all this for your Talon? If so there is just about no way your going to make it work and have it increase performance. You are much better off getting a suspension upgrade and maybe going with the LSD's.
Here is one offered by Road Race Engineering:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/ecldrivetrain.htm

See bottom of the page.
Yes, this will be for my Talon. Also, I wouldn't say that there is no way for something that does exist. And, rear end in my car already has an LSD in there. I would like to have an upgrade for it, but I can't find one. Quaife would be a nice thing, but they have those fro the center and the front only.

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
if this is for your DSM, you are trying to take a system and slap it on, and it will likely underperform, especially since your cars weight distribution and handling characteristics are probably nothing like the EVO.
No, system will not be just slapped on, since there would be too many things to adjust to unknown specs. Parts that would be swapped on are hydraulic system (except the control of it) and rear differential. If axles would fit, that I would gladly reuse them, but chances are that I would have to make a new set.

Since you mentioned weight distribution, do you actually know what is it on the stock EVO 7?

As of the EVO not matching characteristics of my car, you are right. Stock EVOs are much slower and they don't handle even close to my car!

Thanks for the info!

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 29, 2002, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Claudius
The Evo 7 is more lively from the rear because of the ACD: when you pull the handbrake, the center diff is clutched out, not trying to catch it. AFAIK, the TME and Evo 7 AYC are the same thing.
So, what about those rumors of having to have a lot of servicing on 5s and 6s and not that many on 7s?

Also posted by Claudius
I do have my AYC for sale, and I do have people interested in it. But they do not want to buy the driveshafts and the propellor shaft that go with it, because they already have them and they only rarely fail.
How much is yours then (with everything I assume)? And, do you have any idea how much would that be from the dealer?

And posted by Claudius
The lighter the car, the better for performance, no doubt. But 40 lbs is merely the difference between two different drivers weights. Surely adding a little weight to the rear would help balancing the car better.
Right now, my car is at 60/40 F/R, so that extra weight should bring things a bit better corner weights wise. That rear wheel where the hydraulics go is around 580 lb while the other side is in mid 600s. Also, drivers front is the heavies corner, so extra weight on the opposite side will help too!

As you said, extra weight is an extra weight. Once everything is in there, we will see whether this is going to be improvement or not!

Later

Mr. AWD
Old Oct 29, 2002, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AYC/ACD computer also comunicates with the sports ABS system. The ABS also senses all four individual wheel speeds and supplys that info to the ACD ECU.

You would also have to make sure all the sensors on your car are compatible with the ACD ECU.

It would be a big project.

Erik

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much for the EVO 7 AYC?