Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The HKS CORPORATE response to the HKS SSQ BOV

Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The HKS CORPORATE response to the HKS SSQ BOV

Hey, hey all.

After two weeks of waiting, I finally received the letter from HKS USA concerning the HKS SSQ BOV and our Evolutions.

In this letter, I requested information about:

-The proper setting on the BOV.
-The mysterious stalling and bogging issues concerning the valve in recirc or VTA.
-The final word on the fluttering ... normal or not normal.
-Are all HKS SSQ BOV's universal?

Here it is....I hope this helps all of us and puts many rumors to rest concerning the HKS SSQ BOV.

__________________________________________________ _________________

thank you for contacting us regarding your HSK Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve. I hope the following answers your questions.

1.) The blow-off valve should never make any sound while accelerating. The only time it should ever be audible is when it's activated by throttle lifts. There are some cars that will experience a vacuum/pressure/vacuum/pressure change in the manifold under part-throttle lifts. This rapid positive to negative pressure change can cause the valve to open and closed repeatedly, giving you this "fluttering" sound that you described.

2.) Yes, all of the Super Sequential Blow-Off Valves are universal, and all of our vehicle specific kits use the same valve.

3.) If you are recirculation the valve on your EVO and are still experience "stumbling" problems, I would check the installation. Make sure the rubber O-ring is in good condition and is seated properly. The second thing to check is the C-clip (expansion ring). The C-clip has a top and bottom to it. If you look closely one side has a flat surface, and the other side has a round surface, be sure that the flat side goes towards the flange (O-ring side) and the round side towards the valve. You will need C-clip pliers (expansion ring pliers) to do this.

4.) Do not touch the nut on the back of the valve ! (I wish we never put that on there ! ) Adjusting that nut does NOT change the opening rate, efficiency or timing of the valve. HKS valves are "pull-type" valves, meaning they have to "pull" open against the boost for them to open. The more boost you run, the more the boost pushes them closed. Some vehicles have more vacuum than others. If high enough, it is possible for a vehicle's vacuum at idle to accidentally pull the valve open, causing a vacuum leak. It is for this reason that HKS employees an adjustment nut on the back of the valve to allow the spring tension to be adjusted, ensuring that the valve is closed and not leaking while the vehicle is idling. If you have played with this nut, I would suggest getting it back to the middle adjusting point while being VERY careful NOT to let the nut fall out, or turn it too tight as to puncture a hole in the blow -off valve diaphragm. As long as it's not leaking at idle, your fine.

5.) To test your blow-off valve, start the car, let it idle, and open the hood. While looking at the valve, rev the car quickly once and stop. Although no boost is ever generated at idle, this throttle on-off sequence should be enough to engage the blow-off valve, and you should be able to se the valve actually open and then close. If it does not do this, check all that I have mentioned above.

If you are still in need of assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks

Ryan Bates
Sales & Tech
HKS U.S.A., Inc.
(310) 491-3307
[img]cid:417480618@07072004-11A0[/img]
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
Hope thay helps all of you...It helped me in knowing HKS is there for us and they stand behind their products.
Please feel free to post comments and concerns.

Last edited by GreedMOTO; Jul 11, 2004 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for posting that, dude!

Not too much I didn't already know, but at least they explained everything...now we have it straight from HKS...
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, thank you for posting that, it was a lot of information most of us knew but at least we know its not us...the only thing i'd have to check is the c-ring. im pretty positive my valve isn't leakin under idle, although when i rev the car in neutral is when i get my stalling issues. im back to VTA now, and its ok, the only problems im having are again, in 1st gear or something and when i have to make a quick stop or maybe might spool up a bit and not use the boost at all... but oh well, i will check things when i get home and see what happens
Old Jul 11, 2004, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I know more people need this...with so many threads on this subject...I hope this helps more people than me.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

I was digging through the forum looking for opinions on this valve (As my stocker is leaking and the Turbosmart Dual Port didn't fit when we tried to install it) and found this:

Originally Posted by Coolguy949
I've installed about 15 HKS BOVs on evos and not one problem recirculating. There a couple things you need to buy to make it work with the evo. First, you need to buy a 1 inch radiator hose (about 1 inch long too) because the recirc nozzle isnt wide enough for the hose clamp to fit around it in the dump hole on the turbo inlet pipe. Next, you need to buy about 4 inches of vacuum hose since HKS doesnt include the smaller hose (stock is too big) and they just include the big to small adapter.
I hope this is helpful in any way on top of the original post.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

GreedMOTO, nice post!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:18 AM

Are you sure fluttering is normal? I have heard that's compressor surge on the turbo because the setting is too strong... Not that I have the HKS (I have the GReddy bov)...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Too Hard

FWIW im using a txs valve that is a suction type and was experiencing that really crappy stumbling --surging and stalling,,,,

it was set too hard,

1. the air was not being recirculated at low throttle lifts
2. that air is already accounted for by the ecu
3. the lack of that air causes a rich condition (verified by wideband O2)
4. the rich condition causes ecu to compensate
5. low rpm stalling and stumbling is the result

i adjusted till it went away, and still closed all the way at idle....works like a champ
regards rick
Old Oct 4, 2004, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

If you want to run full VTA style on the SSQV and to prevent stalling or stumbling issues, you guys might want to check out the HKS EIDS system. It is listed on their website as well. Its the Type-K version. A friend of mine had this installed and it cured the issues. Its about $135 for this unit. He got it from Gruppe-S, IIRC.

Good luck guys!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I might not totally agree w/ HKS, I have the Valve and it wasn't working right because the Diaphram was corroded ( because of rain entering through the hood) i took the Valve TOTALLY apart, oiled some parts, but when i put it back together i tightend the Nut all the way which would stiffen the spring as tight as it could go. that was about 4 months ago, now i VTA at 21 psi, but i have a EMS, and the car runs great. It flutters in low RPMs but thats it.
point im trying to make is that the nut does make a difference (tightens spring)

sorry for the spelling
Old Oct 5, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

This is awesome info guys,...I just installed mine last weekend (hks) and I like it but the whole screw, spring thing is very good to know. It runs perfect with its stock setting, idle is perfect, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 09:40 AM

Is it really worth getting a HKS SSBOV for an Evo?.. I mean will it last the long run? I know theres a recirc. kit available for it but will it run as smoothly as the Greddy Type-S (which, I heard, also works better with one of the two springs removed from it). I know the sound that the HKS produces is awesome but can I get it and expect the best performance from my car? really confused?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

HKS valves are the best. Infact you only have 3 options for high boost applications the HKS Racing Type II and the Greddy R and the Apexi Racing. All are good but the HKS Racing Type II is very expensive!! I paid $386 and that was a deal.

I think the whole design of the HKS BOV's are unbeatable. IMO

Chris
Old Nov 4, 2004, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the great info! I've ran the hks bov both recirculate and vta. In both applications, I've experienced drop in rpm (did not stall once) at quick lift off of the throttle but if you feather it, no probs at all. Fluttering in both applications also, not high crisp pitch sound, it kinda echos. Right now I'm running VTA, holds boost really good, no leaks, the only complaint would be the fluttering sound, but i can live with it.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Kinda glad this post is back from the dead....I KNEW more people needed to read it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The HKS CORPORATE response to the HKS SSQ BOV