Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

K & N Typhoon Intake advisory !!!!!!! READ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2004, 01:13 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K & N Typhoon Intake advisory !!!!!!! READ

I have seen 3 people in the past two weeks with the K & N Typhoon intake system for Evo 8 who's cars were running extremely poorly

I am talking bad

In all 3 cases a lot of time was spent to try and trouble shoot the situation and no resolution was found

Removal of the K & N intake system resulted in a reveresal of the improper operation

I strongly recoomend the K & N drop in filter and also I run the cone filter on my car - they are great products

However - it seems as though there is some issue with the Typoon intake that warrants more investigation and study

In the meantime - if you are a dyno flash customer and seeking through the mail tuning I would suggest you look at another brand of intake - eg Buschur, HKS, AEM, etc wll of which have worked well

Lets here from some Typoon users to see if this is a common problem or maybe these cases were flukes????

Thanks
Old Jun 9, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

no i had this same problem... it was running so poorly i ran a 9.06 @ the track this being 1/8th mile of course..... and i was losing about 5 lbs or more of boost...... detonation issue then it was cutting back my boost. i have since put the stock intake back on and the problem was reversed and it holds a steady 19lbs..... this crapass intake wont be back on my car thats for sure.... anyone wanna buy one? mine is for sale........
Old Jun 9, 2004, 01:32 PM

Al (or anyone) - do you have any preference between the different aftermarket Panel Filters? Are they even worth the money? Can you see a difference on the Dyno between the stock filter and an aftermarket panel?

I read a test result somewhere that said the volumetric efficiency was the same between a stock panel, K&N panel, and no panel - as long as the stock airbox was in place there was no noticable improvement in airflow.

K&N can be had for about $62 shipped, HKS Super Filter runs about $40 shipped (but is not cleanable-reusable per HKS - you'll need to replace this one at regular intervals), Perrin ($35) won't be shipping their's for a few more months, but is cleanable like the K&N.

So is it worth the money (assuming you want to retain the stock airbox)?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Hks super filters are 20 bucks
Old Jun 9, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have not tried one on my EVO, I did the typical K&N route on my GSX (stock) and didn't notice any difference.. Well except when I over oiled it a few yrs down the road I screwed the maf
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Mike_T
Al (or anyone) - do you have any preference between the different aftermarket Panel Filters? Are they even worth the money? Can you see a difference on the Dyno between the stock filter and an aftermarket panel?

I read a test result somewhere that said the volumetric efficiency was the same between a stock panel, K&N panel, and no panel - as long as the stock airbox was in place there was no noticable improvement in airflow.

K&N can be had for about $62 shipped, HKS Super Filter runs about $40 shipped (but is not cleanable-reusable per HKS - you'll need to replace this one at regular intervals), Perrin ($35) won't be shipping their's for a few more months, but is cleanable like the K&N.

So is it worth the money (assuming you want to retain the stock airbox)?
About 3 whp for the k & N drop in - I assume they are all about the same - a decent mod
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

the k&n drop in definately adds power. i have personally dyno-tested it to be good for 5-7 whp.al may have seen better or worse. i did the test a little over a year ago
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BaLListic_EVO
no i had this same problem... it was running so poorly i ran a 9.06 @ the track this being 1/8th mile of course..... and i was losing about 5 lbs or more of boost...... detonation issue then it was cutting back my boost. i have since put the stock intake back on and the problem was reversed and it holds a steady 19lbs..... this crapass intake wont be back on my car thats for sure.... anyone wanna buy one? mine is for sale........
I am seeing a trend here - I query if the design of the tube is altering the MAF signal significantly enough to throw the car into a super lean condition

The cars I tested were pulling timing like mad - and this was on the stock ecu program

I am almost curious enough to get one on the dyno and test it to see what is going on - but not that curious I think

The people that I was dealing with were not getting good reactions from K & N - perhaps if there are many with this issue then K & N will address this condition ??
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 93h22cvc
the k&n drop in definately adds power. i have personally dyno-tested it to be good for 5-7 whp.al may have seen better or worse. i did the test a little over a year ago
Ture dat - I quote a more conseravtive 3 whp so no one can be disappointed - BUT - It does make 5 - 7 whp in some cases
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Al Would I Have To Get A Reflash If I Use The K & N Drop In Because Mine Was The Stock Filter When You Did The Dyno Flash Last Week ....
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

wats wrong with the K&N Typhoon? I don't feel any problems.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PHILLY EVO
Al Would I Have To Get A Reflash If I Use The K & N Drop In Because Mine Was The Stock Filter When You Did The Dyno Flash Last Week ....
No reflash needed - it will be fine - we tested that also !
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank Al
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Muramasa
wats wrong with the K&N Typhoon? I don't feel any problems.
I know there are many people who did not have any problems with them

Thats why I am posting here to find out if there is a problem after seeing 3 bad cars - maybe there is a bad batch or something ?
Old Jun 9, 2004, 02:35 PM
Account Disabled

Exedy Twin disk in stock $1299 - only 3 left

These are selling out fast - we started with 15 three weeks ago

I think this source is the only place that has them in stock and they may be on back order

$1299 plus shipping

Also - Hyper Single - on sale $849.99 shipped 3 day fed ex anywhere in USA !

Quick Reply: K & N Typhoon Intake advisory !!!!!!! READ