Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might Trade EVO for RX-8

Thinking about trading this awesome machine for a more comfortable daily driver,
the RX-8. I just really started thinking all I do in it is go back and forth to work, 90
miles round trip, do I really need a street legal race car to do that in. At 41 I guess I just showing my age, I still love speed and fast cars, but I just can justify driving a car like the EVO every day. The EVO is a wonderful machine wish I was a rich man so I could keep it for the weekends.
Old May 14, 2004, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

You might want to rethink the RX8 if you have a long commute. Many owners report highway gas mileage no better than 15-17 mpg. Even Z06 Vettes get 22-25 mpg highway. By the way, I'm 50 and my Evo is not my daily driver.
Bluesmaster

Last edited by Bluesmaster; May 14, 2004 at 03:18 PM.
Old May 14, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjones53
Thinking about trading this awesome machine for a more comfortable daily driver,
the RX-8.
Have you driven the RX-8? I wasn't crazy about how the engine feels. It's hard to explain...almost like an electric car or something. I think I would prefer the 350Z if I had to choose.

Emre
Old May 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure why you would get an rx-8 if you want comfort. Why not get a G35 or something? The rx-8 needs oil changed more, and gets bad gas milage, also if you live in an area that has bad weather it will be terrible to drive around.
Old May 14, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

as much as i love the rx-8, i have to question the choice as well. i mean its in the same price class as the evo, but i guess you're going for more comfort? if that's the case, then maybe an audi or the g35 would be more to your liking, but still have plenty of getupandgo. either way, you'll be driving a hot car, and of that i am deeply jealous... for now.
Old May 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

yeah g35 couple is sedan is wat u want.. not rx8...
Old May 14, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

G35 coupe all the way
Old May 14, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have RX-7 and its engine died. Rotary is not design to last too long. Need to overhaul in 50,000miles or less. Buy something cheap for commute and keep Evo for weekends. You need to deal with your ego when you drive POS.
Old May 14, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

There's no room for passengers in the RX-8. Beyond power you'll be giving that up along with all wheel drive. Consider the G35 for sure...
Old May 14, 2004, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Get a 350Z Track model or a G35 coupe 6 speed or an '04 S2000 (my daily driver car)
Old May 14, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Hey, if your trading it in, might as well sell it to a DIE HARD EVO fan who can't buy a new one... like me...
Old May 14, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ookami
There's no room for passengers in the RX-8. Beyond power you'll be giving that up along with all wheel drive. Consider the G35 for sure...
That's not true at all, a coworker of mine recently went in to check one out. He's got kids, and the first thing he did was sit in the back seat area. He's 6'3" and said it was comfortable.

about the "do I really need a street legal race car" for daily driving, I don't think anyone can answer yes. Just like you don't need a 200hp rotary car either... owning these cars is all about what you want. It sounds like in your mind you've already justified getting rid of the Evo, we probably can't stop you - nor should we. I think it's a move you'll regret... I did when I sold my black evo for an '03 Cobra ( you guys wanna talk about **** poor gas mileage?? ). Good luck to you.
Old May 14, 2004, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Just do what I did and buy an awd legacy for 5 grand to drive every day. That way the evo stays nice and in warranty. 5 grand is far less than you lose on the trade and if you don't like it you can always sell it.
Old May 14, 2004, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was choosing between the EVO and RX8. I ended up with the EVO for several reasons:

1) I thought the RX8 interior was horribly cramped. No room to stretch, felt like my shoulders were pinned in.

2) Visibility. Yeah, I have to double check for cops b/c of the big wing, but the pillars aren't in bad spots in the EVO, in the RX8, they were.

3) Too low. As much as I love low center of gravity, getting in and out of the RX8 would have been too much.

4) Exhaust note. This goes to power as well, it just seemed like the RX8 took too long to get "motivated". Acceleration was smooth, I'll give it that, but by the time you get to your torque peak (LOL, we idle with more torque that that thing ), the turn/stoplight/on-ramp is behind you. Because of this "all the power at 8k", the engine sounded whiney, but not the good turbo whine on top of a deep growl.

Don't get me wrong, I was very close to getting the RX8, but the practicality of four real doors, more hp, more torque, better steering, better gas milage LOL, and more engine tunability (they don't have a lot of room for improvement according to their message boards) -- I ended up with the EVO.

good luck whether you decide to motor or rotor

a
Old May 14, 2004, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

I would definitely recommend a g35 coupe or even a sedan for a daily driver... very comfortable cars and very torquey cars =D Good luck with whichever you choose!

Quick Reply: Might Trade EVO for RX-8