Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Who else got fried coil packs with the Emanage?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 07:02 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone who has frying coils need to get an adapter for the ignition wiring. I also recently bought mine and did MANY MANY research on it. It was said that an adapter was needed to properly get signal from the ignition. The part number is #15900907 and runs for about 18-20 bucks....

How that helps you guys out.

And please post up where you got this adapter as everyone would like to know.

To add to this post, I think we should post up how we wired our ignition harness. I will post one tonight after work...

Last edited by NRG; May 14, 2004 at 07:08 AM.
Old May 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Here's how mine is wired:

emanage install

I have the grounding wires, and used my ac on the highway today and made it home ok. I don't have an adapter either. emanage has been on for approx, 12k miles and 10 months.
Old May 15, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

NRG: what part # is that for? Greddy or Mitsu?

992gnt: that install guide has 1 wire different than the Greddy directions, talk about made me mad cause i was using those directions instead of the Greddy ones
Old May 15, 2004, 09:22 AM
NRG
Evolving Member

The part number is for Greddy. It was told to me by a Greddy tech.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

What wire is different? I'll double check it tomorrow, but I'm pretty certain that the install page is exactly how I have mine wired.
Old May 15, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

yeh...is that part# mitsu or greddy...
where did u get your adapter from?

on a more positive note....I did over the grounding on my car as per the original mitsubishi evolution grounding and used the a/c and lights. and no coil problems so far.
hopefully in my case..this was the problem.
but let me not talk to soon...
Old May 27, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

OK, its been a few days now, and the car still seems to be fine. Still haven't used the AC yet. Waiting for new spare ignition coils to get here. Also ordered the GReddy adapter thing, but hasn't arrived. Will update once everything is in.
Old May 28, 2004, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

what adapter and where did u get it from?
let me know cause i would like to order it as well
thanks.
Old May 29, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

I ordered it from a shop that a friend works at, here in Jersey. It was $21. I used the part number that was in this thread earlier. Not really even sure what it is. It IS a GReddy part. It should be in sometime this week. I will install it and let you know what's up. I can snap a pic of it when I get it, if U want.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Incognito
Holy ****!! I fried a coil pack today while driving. Just cruising, at 80mph or so, in 5th gear. Car started sputtering a little bit. Smelled something odd burning under the hood. Car lost more and more power. Didn't hold idle. Later on, I noticed that the left coil pack melted a little bit. It shrunk on the one side.

I have had the E-Manage for some time now, and this is the 1st time it happened. I did just read the post above mine, and it said something about the AC being on. Today was one of the first times I used the AC in the car in some time now, and that's when it cooked the coil. Think it's related in some way (AC on = cooked coil pack?). Oh, it's only the one coil pack that cooked (passenger side one).

My E-Manage has the newer firmware update on it done too, which is supposed to eliminate coil packs cooking.

Any info, please email or post here. Thanks in advance.
the exact, I mean the exact same thing happen to me. I never run the air either, but then I decide too, and bam, burnt coil pack, passenger side only. I have sence replaced them both, but now my car still wants to sputter at random times, especially going down the highway. Any info or help? I do not think the emanage has too much to do with it because Ive had it wired for over 6 months now, but our stories are identical.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 04:15 PM

bump for answers and more testimony
Old Jul 8, 2004, 07:09 PM
Former Sponsor

what does a coil pack cost?
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Coil pack costs $105 if you have an account with a dealership.
Retail is around $135 to $140, without the spark plug boot.
Add $20 to it for the spark plug boot. It's the rubber piece.
When a coil pack fries, U can reuse the spark plug boot.

My car has been OK (knock on wood), but I haven't left it on the ON position, at all, without the car running. Have been using the AC though. No problems.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:37 AM

hi there new to the board but not new to the car seen, just started to work on a evo6 for a friend and it has an emanage in it also, to solve the coil problem is simple, you need to make shore you are running ver 1.36 or greater of the firmware and on the ignition output of the emanage you need a diode, a good heavey one like 5amps or so (normal rectefying diode) and this will solve the problem.

But now i have a question is there anyway to map the ignition advance from the emanage???

thanks..

p.s sorry for the bad spelling
Old Jul 21, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

That's a great fix if it was applicable to every car. The cars that are burning coils have a variety of supporting mods, new firmware, old firmware, diodes, you name it. Then there are cars like mine that have never burned the coilpacks, despite doing things that apparently triggered the problem in other cars (key on/engine off, a/c use). I'm certain there is a common thread to all of these burnt coils, but so far the solution has been pretty elusive.

Quick Reply: Who else got fried coil packs with the Emanage?