Notices
DynoFlash [Visit Site]

Street Tune vs. Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street Tune vs. Dyno Tune

A number of guys have asked me about which one is "better" which one to get - I have some observations for those intersted
First of all - with reflashes - very often a dyno tune is just economically unfeasable. Reflashing takes several minutes for each successive flash procedure and the time can really add up when you have that occassional car which has some tuning issues

I like to do a LOT of adjustment and fine tuning and on the dyno its takes a long time to cool the car off between pulls

The bottom line is most tunes take about two hours which can cost a significant amount of money on most awd dynos

Secondly - IMHO no dyno reads precsisly just like real road conditions. It is practically impossible to duplicate real world driving conditions on a dyno - although we have been able to develop dyno methods which give us a real good approximation the reality is there is nothing like the road to tune your car for the road

What dynos are really good for is giving you a quantifyable NUMBER to see your progress and it makes it very easy for us to show you how much power you gained. For that reason the dyno is very helpful.

A sophisticated driver will be able to "feel" and appreciate the differences with our custom dyno flash compared to his pre-tuning performance - however a very small minority of customers will swear the car is slower even though it is making 20 or even 30 whp more. The smoothing and linear aspects of my tune sometimes make the car feel less power ful even though it has picked up significant power all the way across the power band.

Realize that top fuel dragsters cant even go on ANY dyno in the world - they make too much power and the people that tune them must use the same methods which I use on the street - MONITOR vital functions under real world driving conditions to adjust the fuel and timing to reach the desired performance

Our street tuning involves monitoring the a/f with a motec wode band / data logging vital engine data such as timing and collant temps - etc and watching and listening to knock activity on a knock sensor

All this data is used to adjust the tune to the volumetric effciency of a particular engine to smooth out the power band - maximize performance and maintain a very large margin of saftey.

On the dyno - we use the same methods - and utilize the dyno under methods which we perfected after tens of thousands of dollars in dyno time to replicate as much as possible the real world driving conditions in our atificial testing dyno

IMHO - the results are similar and every car we dyno tune is run on the street afterwards to verify that it is properly tuned. However, if I had to choose - I would take the street tune and please remmeber - I street tune my own evo and I can get as much free dyno time as I want.

Frankly - you are better off spending your money on mods to make your evo faster than dyno sheets which do nothing more than verify what you can feel by the seat of your own pants

Dynos are a great money maker for the shops that own them and a great marketing tool for myself and others in the performance business to quantify results

The best tuners I know all tune their cars on the street

I am happy to tune your evo on the dyno OR on the street - I am equally as confortable with both and can get great results on either

While we do run some sick cheap deals for the reflash with dyno time at Pruven - right now its $500 for the custon tune and your dyno sheet - - we can not offer those deals at other dyno shops when we travel and most of the time the dyno time is just as costly as the custom dyno flash itself $595.00

I hope that answers some of the questions

BTW - my car is tuned 100% on the street - for me - EVEN THOUGH I GET ALL THE FREE DYNO TIME I WANT - its simply a waste of time to try and tune on the dyno - I dont DRIVE on a dyno so what ever it does on the dyno is irrelevant
Old Mar 1, 2004, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

http://dinancars.com/html/dtbmw01.html
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Well said
Old Mar 2, 2004, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome explanation Al...I look forward to meeting you on the 20th in Maryland!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Al, on March 20th...I'd rather you street tune my Evo, rather than making use of the Dyno...is that possible? How much do you charge? You offered the $100 discount for the Dyno-Tune (I'd be paying $435) total for the day. If you did the street tune, I'd pay you, rather than Agile for the use of the dyno, right?
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:05 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by camdog17
Al, on March 20th...I'd rather you street tune my Evo, rather than making use of the Dyno...is that possible? How much do you charge? You offered the $100 discount for the Dyno-Tune (I'd be paying $435) total for the day. If you did the street tune, I'd pay you, rather than Agile for the use of the dyno, right?
No way to hire me directly that day - its Agile's day

The way its working is I will do the initial tune on the street - get it tuned to my satisfaction - then we get it on the dyno and do a before run with stock flash and an after run with the new Dyno Flash IF you dont want to get on the dyno - I ams ure Agile will arrange a discount with you - but you need to take that up with them directly
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Cool...that works...I'll keep things the way they are...can't wait!!!!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Street tune FTW. Realistic load, realistic air velocity.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Digging up 3 year old posts FTL!!!!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsnt
Digging up 3 year old posts FTL!!!!
HAHA , I just noticed that. FTL !!!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Street tune FTW. Realistic load, realistic air velocity.
WTH are you doing posting in a thread over 3 years old, darn newbs .
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

I would just add that my 154 mph race Evo 8 never goes on a dyno - its 100% road tuned as in the new SRvids dvd
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:24 PM
Account Disabled

Just to comment also that prices have certainly gone down in the last 3 plus years !
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

road tune is just dangerous with the way you drive - not only endangering yourself, your customer and his $30,000 car
Old Apr 23, 2007, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either works for me. They both have their pro's and con's...

Quick Reply: Street Tune vs. Dyno Tune