Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Weight Of Stock Wheels??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weight Of Stock Wheels??

I've searched and searched and all I've found is one guess that they weight 21lbs.

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times... how many times has it been answered?

thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure what the exact weight of the wheel alone is but I know that the fatory Advan/Enkei combo weight is 44.5 lbs. My tires are only about 3000 mi. old. You can check to see the weight of the Advans and deduct them....sorry I don't have more.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:07 PM

Thanks! That actually does help. I happen to have an unmounted tire in my garage (1000 miles on it) and it weighs 26lbs so that means the wheels weigh 18.5.

Now I can look for aftermarket wheels!
Old Feb 17, 2004, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

For a 17" wheel, 18.5 pounds isn't too impressive. You should be able to do A LOT better with an aftermarket wheel. Also, most posts on this subject from before mentioned that the stock Evo wheel is closer to 20 pounds. There are a lot of forged 18" wheels out there under 19 pounds. Are you going to plus 1 or staying with the stock size??
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:17 PM

I'm inclined to believe the 18.5 lbs we calculated given the type of wheel (hollow spoked), rather than the 20 you mention. I was rather shocked to hear the 21lb estimates some people were telling me. I'm assuming our scales are accurate and there's not much variation in tire weight. I could be wrong.

The reason it's important is because I'd like to at least match the stock wheel weight and the Team Dynamics 17x8's I was going to get are listed at 19.9lbs, so that doesn't seem like the best idea for a track wheel. However, I may get the TD's for street since I like the looks and use the stockers for the track.

If I can get a wheel that weighs around 16.5-17 then I'd be willing to pay a little more for a track wheel, but I don't really have any reason to pay $400/wheel for Volks. Alternatively, if I can get a 17x9 that weighs 17-18lbs for $250-300ish I'd be happy, but I don't think that's gonna be happening, it's hard enough even finding that size, let alone that price. I noticed the CE-28's are offered, but I'm sure they're over $400 ea.

Lastly, what I'd *really* like is a 18x9.5 that weighs in around 20. For that I'd pay big bucks (yeah right). It would have to be the perfect offset to fit 250 slicks and, again, that seems like a tall order without getting a custom wheel.

So, I may just get the TD's for the street, or pick up a second set of stockers?

Originally posted by Chris in HB
For a 17" wheel, 18.5 pounds isn't too impressive. You should be able to do A LOT better with an aftermarket wheel. Also, most posts on this subject from before mentioned that the stock Evo wheel is closer to 20 pounds. There are a lot of forged 18" wheels out there under 19 pounds. Are you going to plus 1 or staying with the stock size??
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Aaron Bitterman
Alternatively, if I can get a 17x9 that weighs 17-18lbs for $250-300ish I'd be happy, but I don't think that's gonna be happening, it's hard enough even finding that size, let alone that price.
It is happening. Well, not quite. They are even lighter than 17 pounds.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...els&prodid=709

Enkei RPF1, 17x9, $285, 16.0 pounds.

That's just one vendor I found with a quick search... I've never dealt with Z-1 myself, although I've heard good things.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Aaron Bitterman
I'm inclined to believe the 18.5 lbs we calculated given the type of wheel (hollow spoked), rather than the 20 you mention. I was rather shocked to hear the 21lb estimates some people were telling me. I'm assuming our scales are accurate and there's not much variation in tire weight. I could be wrong.

The reason it's important is because I'd like to at least match the stock wheel weight and the Team Dynamics 17x8's I was going to get are listed at 19.9lbs, so that doesn't seem like the best idea for a track wheel. However, I may get the TD's for street since I like the looks and use the stockers for the track.

If I can get a wheel that weighs around 16.5-17 then I'd be willing to pay a little more for a track wheel, but I don't really have any reason to pay $400/wheel for Volks. Alternatively, if I can get a 17x9 that weighs 17-18lbs for $250-300ish I'd be happy, but I don't think that's gonna be happening, it's hard enough even finding that size, let alone that price. I noticed the CE-28's are offered, but I'm sure they're over $400 ea.

Lastly, what I'd *really* like is a 18x9.5 that weighs in around 20. For that I'd pay big bucks (yeah right). It would have to be the perfect offset to fit 250 slicks and, again, that seems like a tall order without getting a custom wheel.

So, I may just get the TD's for the street, or pick up a second set of stockers?

Chris is more right then wrong. All of the actual weighings are closer to the 21 lb. mark. One of the vendors weighed them on a shipping scale and came up with that 21 number. The shipping scale is designed to weigh packages in that weight area more so then the bathroom scale which are usually off anyway.
Those Ce28N's only come in at 14 or so lbs. at 17X8 so I think the 20 maybe a bit high. They are one of the lightest wheels available.
Most vendors don't post thier prices on here for good reason (bashers) but I can tell you which vendor will get you a CE28N for $425. With the LE being slightly more. PM me if you are interested.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jbrennen

It is happening. Well, not quite. They are even lighter than 17 pounds.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...els&prodid=709

Enkei RPF1, 17x9, $285, 16.0 pounds.

That's just one vendor I found with a quick search... I've never dealt with Z-1 myself, although I've heard good things.
I've ordered from Z1 in the past and wanted it in like 2 days and sure enough they got it here. Never heard anything bad about them.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:31 PM

Great, now I'm 3 lbs heavier than I thought I was. Thanks .

Well, the Enkei RPF1 sounds like a winner.

BUT, at 35mm offset and 17x9, does anyone know if they fit well with a 255 tire? I'd like to go to 255's with a rolled/cut fender. When you start maximizing the tire squeeze, the offset becomes critical. I'm sure they work fine with 235's and possibly 245's....

Any experience with this setup? Given that stock is +38, I guess +35 will err on the outboard side? Perhaps too much. I would think we'd want it to be +40?

thanks!

Originally posted by timzcat

... more so then the bathroom scale which are usually off anyway.

Those Ce28N's only come in at 14 or so lbs. at 17X8 so I think the 20 maybe a bit high. They are one of the lightest wheels available.
Most vendors don't post thier prices on here for good reason (bashers) but I can tell you which vendor will get you a CE28N for $425. With the LE being slightly more. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by Aaron Bitterman; Feb 17, 2004 at 10:40 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

The stock wheel weights 24 lbs, I've verified this on a bathroom scale and on a Fedex scale.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:30 PM

Wow, this is amazing. We've got 21lbs., 20lbs, 18.5lbs, and now 24lbs.

At any rate, clearly the 18.5 is wrong! 24 is really heavy. Hmmm... makes the Team Dynamics look better now and makes the Enkei's look really really good.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by ReHeat
The stock wheel weights 24 lbs, I've verified this on a bathroom scale and on a Fedex scale.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Another very good wheel to consider is the Work Emotion. It's a little pricey, but it's forged and light. I ended up going with BBS RS-GTs in 18x8.5 = 18 pounds each.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

To weigh the wheel on a bathroom scale, don't put only the wheel on it. I recommend weighing yourself first, then weighing yourself holding the wheel. Bathroom scales may have an offset error and nonlinearity, so it should be more accurate that way.

Last edited by ru4real; Feb 18, 2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Another very good wheel to consider is the Work Emotion. It's a little pricey, but it's forged and light. I ended up going with BBS RS-GTs in 18x8.5 = 18 pounds each.
Can you please post pictures of your BBS rims, please.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

They are still on the boat from Japan, so I only have this to show you (Evo fitments are custom-ordered from BBS Japan) :

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Displ...k+w%2FMach+Lip
Attached Thumbnails Weight Of Stock Wheels??-bbs_rs_gt_db_ci3_l.jpg  

Quick Reply: Weight Of Stock Wheels??