Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution Imports a fraud?

Before you jump to conclusions, please read what I have to say. I've been doing some digging recently on Motorex's work regarding the Skyline GTR, and while I was at it, I decided to look for NHTSA petitions for legalizing the Evolution. I came up with nothing. I did however find some interesting information about Motorex, but that's a different topic for a different time.

Why is this significant? We have a company taking pre-orders for legal Evolutions, but they have not yet filed a petition to try to legalize it, much less completed testing results, on a single Evolution. All NHTSA petitions for non-conforming vehicles become a part of the Federal Register regardless of whether the petition is granted or not. Both approvals and denials would be listed.

For those not aware, the government publishes the Federal Register daily. It's a summary of pretty much every significant event to take place in our government in the course of a business day. I've found data on Skyline GTRs, non-compliant Ferrari's, and several others. But no Lancer, Lancer Evolution, or just Evolution or Evo.

Draw your own conclusions. I'm left wondering how a company can claim to sell a product for which they have not even attempted to receive Federal approval for.

(NOTE: I have not even tried to find information on Mitsubishi's official work regarding factory imported Evos. That is a totally different process from petitioning non-compliant vehicles)
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:27 AM

......................... ..........................
Old Jun 9, 2002, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

>>I did however find some interesting information about Motorex, but that's a different topic for a different time

Post it!

Although I wonder why EI will only sell the RS to rally teams? If i was a part of a rally team why would I care if the car was street legal or not?

Damit! I want an Evo7RS.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Gatecrasher,
For one, Evolution Imports is not the actual registered importer. I know who the importer is, and they are on the NHTSA list. Others have contacted them and verified their role in the process.
Two, the evolutions have not yet arrived to the US, so there is not yet any listing, because the request has not been made. When the first ones arrive, then you should see some activity.
Three, you should really contact Evolution Imports before saying much on the topic. I am aware you are in the know on importing regulations just as much or more than I am, but its still fair to them to talk to them first before posting about them here.

As far as some Motorex stuff, from what I hear is that they pass of brand new cars as 2 years old to avoid certain CARB regulations. They also are ripping everyone off, but thats another story. I guess people are willing to pay, so I can't really blame them. Im sure there is a lot more dirt than that too.

And no, its not Motorex importing the EVO's for Evolution Imports.

In conclusion keep watching the Register and let us all know if they are approved or denied. Also look into Mitsu USA details as well. We all really do want to know. I only keep my eye on the NHTSA site for info, but that is only updated on an as needed basis.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

otaking,
By rules, the rally cars must be able to be driven on public roads, or in short be street legal. Now we all know that they are abusing the rules right now, but they might like to not have to do that.
Old Jun 9, 2002, 10:31 AM

I hear what you're saying about due process and all that. I was only passing along the information that someone is asking for $35,000 for a car when no one knows IF it can even be legalized. The cars that they're bringing over are supposed to be customer cars. Not crash test fodder.

The actualy RI doesn't matter. Would it surprise you to learn that the name "Motorex" isn't listed anywhere on the NHTSA crash data or petitions? Hell, the original company who requested it is called JK Motors and they're based out of MA

s far as some Motorex stuff, from what I hear is that they pass of brand new cars as 2 years old to avoid certain CARB regulations. They also are ripping everyone off, but thats another story. I guess people are willing to pay, so I can't really blame them. Im sure there is a lot more dirt than that too.
You know, it's funny how the smashed "R34 GTR" the crash test photos looks an awful lot like an R33 GTS

As I said, draw your own conclusions. I'll have the GTR stuff up on one of the Nissan boards in the near future
Old Jun 9, 2002, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Motorex is on the NHTSA list of Registered Importers though, and the Skylines are on the list of approved cars.

MOTOREX
15612 NEW CENTURY DRIVE, GARDENA, CA 90248 310-523-2233
310-523-2235 1,2,3,9,10

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/RIlist0202.html

Nissan 17 GTS, GTR 1990 - 1999

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG020201.html

Like I said though, let us know anything you find out...good or bad.
Old Jun 10, 2002, 07:55 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

My understanding of the situation is that the cars have not yet arrived, but are on their way right now Not that this guarantees anything, but they've run an ad in Dupont Registry for the month of June. You can check it out here:

http://www2.dupontregistry.com/dprvm...16&coverImage=

Mark
Old Jun 10, 2002, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

My understanding of the situation is that the cars have not yet arrived, but are on their way right now
Correct. the cars are currently on a boat from Holland to the US. They left Holland a week ago, expected arrival is late June / early July.

K.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 01:45 AM
Evolving Member

They must be joking $45k for an Evo7?
Let's see, wait 6 more months and you can get an Evo8 for under $30k with full warranty from a Mitsu dealership.
Even $37k is a ripoff.

Well, i guess if you have too much cash to blow . . .
Old Jun 11, 2002, 04:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by RA29
They must be joking $45k for an Evo7?
Let's see, wait 6 more months and you can get an Evo8 for under $30k with full warranty from a Mitsu dealership.
Even $37k is a ripoff.

Well, i guess if you have too much cash to blow . . .
And in 6 mos you may actually know what the specs on the US Evo will be, right?

Nothing is certain as far as what will be released here yet aside from 250hp and AWD...Whoopie...

As I see it when you import an Evo you're garaunteed the specs and there's no need to wait. Not only that but your tuning parts are garaunteed to fit. You don't need to wait for (if there are many changes in the future Evo) different parts.

The downside: Financing would be more of a pain.

As for warranties on the future US Evo...I have a funny feeling most of the people posting on these forums won't have many things covered by Mistubishi on their cars for very long.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

The specs will not differ much just like the Japanese and the US WRX. Some power will be lost but mostly due to gas octane.
With a LHD Evo7, you wont get 300hp if you use regular 91/92 octane gas.

Are you so sure that the Evo7 will pass through all the EPA/DOT/Customs stuff? None of them have been certified yet. At least with the Skylines, they are legal now, though expensive.

Tuning parts will be fine as i said before, it wont differ much.
It's cheaper for Mitsu to use the same parts rather than make new parts for a few thousand cars. Same bodyshell, same drivetrain. No one makes changes to the ACD/AYC anyway. Mitsu didnt bring the Evo here because of us, they are a company and in it for the profit. To reuse existing parts lower cost and increase profit and that's what it is all about.

Warranty is more than just the drivetrain. If your aircon breaks down or the door handles pop off, you can bring it to the dealer for a free repair. But that's not the case with an imported car.
Parts are also more readily available at a Mitsu dealership.
If any mechanical/engine parts fail on an imported Evo, you will have to pay out of your own pocket and will have to imported too.
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

Question Has anyone done Business with evolution Imports?

does anyone know about evolution imports?are they a real deal or some fly bye?there was some talk about them on the forum but i cant find it.Has anybody from the forums bought or done business with them?
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

A few have. Try doing a search. Note that on the main page is a big advertisement for EI. I Trust KK's judgement when it comes to who he accepts ads for.

The shipment of imported Evos belonging to a couple LF members should be here in a couple weeks from what I remember. (Early june at the latest)
Old Jun 17, 2002, 07:10 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

There are a few members that are awaiting Evo 7s. Two users that come to mind are WRC4ever and erikgj.

Mark

Quick Reply: Evolution Imports [Super Mega Merge]