Notices

SST tranny overheating at the tack! Mitsu need to find a fix!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST tranny overheating at the tack! Mitsu need to find a fix!

This is not right and Mitsu has to come up with a fix!

The SST tranny overheated after 15 minutes or so at MSR!
Attached Thumbnails SST tranny overheating at the tack! Mitsu need to find a fix!-img_2138_3.jpg  
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

what happened to it? cause any damage?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

lol you want mitsu to take care of things at the TRACK

I can't even get my damn clutch replaced at normal driving at 5K miles
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by midwestX
lol you want mitsu to take care of things at the TRACK

I can't even get my damn clutch replaced at normal driving at 5K miles
I know right. I think we all know when it comes to take care of our cars after we leave the stealership is just not going to happen
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

The car was doing so well (for being all stock), but after a few minutes on the track it went to limp mode and got a warning about the tranny being too hot.

Yes, I believe Mitsu will do something about this problem. As stated in the manual, I was using the S-Sport mode on a closed circuit track.

Quote from the owners manual:S-Sport mode... "Mode designed to be used while driving on closed circuit tracks".

Don herring in Texas is aware of the situation and have been really acitve with Mitsu to find a fix for this. All MR owner need to stick together until Mitsu comes up with a fix. Remember the Brownbos on the Evo 8's? That got fixed!

They probably need to do a recall on the tranny cooler for a more efficient one.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

yep, we definitely need a tranny cooler. XtremeBoost is already working on that product. Some good news there!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i need fitting sizes and we could build something.

cb
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks. I wonder if it was just a defect on your vehicle or a poor design on the SST.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

ya mine hasn't done it but I do think mitsu needs to fix it as it is in the manual. You were using the vehicle exactly how it is stated in there manual.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi will not fix a problem that was caused at a track
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Was there another thread about this? I remember posting something in it and *poof* it's gone?

In any case, as more and more MRs are on the road, I expect to see that there will be a tranny cooler installed by Mitsubishi like the 335i had to have an oil cooler retrofitted.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

it is a known issue with the SST transmissions. That is 1 reason for their delayed release into the market. They patched it and released it without suffiecent repairs. A much larger/better cooler would help to a degree, but the trans will eventually overheat again.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

After Speaking to a Mitsubishi engineer today he explained a trait of the SST that could easily cause this. When the gas pedal is activated the clutch is fully engaged, when the brake pedal is touched the car attempts to feather the transmission, when the car tries to fully engage the clutch and feather the clutch it will quickly overheat. ANyone who has been on the track and paid very close attention to their use of heel and toe and knows for a fact they have not used your left foot to brake, and still had this issue I would like to hear from. I assure you the S-Sport mode was designed for the track only and if it's not functioning properly the vehicle needs to be fixed.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't we all know that the MR tranny was not going to be nearly as capable as the GSR tranny long before either car was released? Granted, people are working on fixes, and eventually I'm sure it will be working better. But like the MR tranny of yore (which had the same problem): You should've bought the GSR. More and more I understand less and less as to why people are choosing the MR.

Point is: Had you done your research on here before buying the car, you'd have known that was likely to happen and wouldn't have to be on here whining to Mitsubishi. I honestly don't expect Mitsu to fix it, but I'm sure one of the vendors on here will.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DonMitsu
After Speaking to a Mitsubishi engineer today he explained a trait of the SST that could easily cause this. When the gas pedal is activated the clutch is fully engaged, when the brake pedal is touched the car attempts to feather the transmission, when the car tries to fully engage the clutch and feather the clutch it will quickly overheat. ANyone who has been on the track and paid very close attention to their use of heel and toe and knows for a fact they have not used your left foot to brake, and still had this issue I would like to hear from. I assure you the S-Sport mode was designed for the track only and if it's not functioning properly the vehicle needs to be fixed.
I do use left foot break , since i have no ALS system in my car and this way i can keep the boost up, also helps the car attitude in the turns.
Also i do heel and toe. Which is nothing to do with the left foot breaking. I never had an Evo with two pedals though.
Or i miss understood this post.

Quick Reply: SST tranny overheating at the tack! Mitsu need to find a fix!