Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

My Aquamist 2D to HFS-5 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Aquamist 2D to HFS-5 Conversion

My good old Aquamist 2D system has served me well in two of my cars for a total of 6+ years. But after maxing out the stock race pump with twin .8mm nozzles on 91 octane, I decided to convert/upgrade to the HFS-5 Sureflow pump. In order for that to happen I also upgraded my DDS-2 flow meter to the DDS-3 flow meter. Most of my time doing the conversion was spent mounting the Sureflow pump. That thing is huge and since most of my other mounting options were taken up by my recent car audio install, I had to get creative on my pump mounting location. The rest of the install went straight forward since my old 2D used much of the same components. Here are some pics:

***New Update On Post #36***

I used my old float bowel sensor set up and added the water tank outlet fitting just below it.

I mounted the pump and relay in the spare tire well. I’m a firm believer of mounting the pump below the lowest part of the water tank. I had to fabricate a custom mounting bracket for the pump. The pump is nice and secure and clears the spare tire and is easily accessible.

I fabricated a custom pump cover out of some steel plate. I like to be able to use my trunk and wanted to protect the pump accumulator from any damage. The pump cover is easily removed with a 1/2 "socket to access the pump if needed.

I had to play with the mounting angle of the DDS-3 gauge so I could get a good view and be able to close the ash tray cover.

The DDS-3 junction box was mounted behind the glove box as was my old DDS-2 box.

My HSV is mounted in the same place for over 3 years.

I modified my DDS-2 flow meter bracket to mount my new DDS-3 flow meter. The fluid line then goes to my upgraded twin 1 mm nozzles on the stock UICP.

Last edited by EvoTio; Jul 25, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its nice to see the aquamist components last so long.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice place to mount the pump... i didnt think it would fit in there
Old Aug 5, 2008, 01:37 AM
Former Sponsor

This is such a lovely install.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Richard. Looking forward to many more years of quality performance.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:08 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I LOVE the pump placement! I can't believe I didn't think to put it there, but I guess I would be worried the pump is too far from the tank...still, awesome install, and awesome to see all of the other components lasting so long! How many miles on the 2D setup?

We've been warned about putting the HSV and flow sensor so close to the engine for fear of heat issues, and yet you have had none? Amazing!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
I LOVE the pump placement! I can't believe I didn't think to put it there, but I guess I would be worried the pump is too far from the tank...still, awesome install, and awesome to see all of the other components lasting so long! How many miles on the 2D setup?

We've been warned about putting the HSV and flow sensor so close to the engine for fear of heat issues, and yet you have had none? Amazing!
Thanks for the props. I figure my 2D was on my old Talon for about 30,000 miles. I probably have almost 25,000 miles with the same 2D on my Evo

Yeah, I've had the HSV mounted on the firewall for all these years without any problems what so ever. I even had it mounted on the firewall of my old Talon without any issues. Aside from a little rust on the HSV itself, it's still hanging in there.

As for the pump, being that it's mounted below the lowest part of the water tank allows for a very good siphoning effect. The pump really isn't that far from the tank itself IMO. My old Aquamist Race Pump was mounted just a little higher than my new SureFlow Pump at it worked like a champ. When I first started experimenting on my Talon years ago, I found I was having water mixture delivery issues to the pump. It wasn't until I mounted the pump below the lowest part of the water tank that solved all my problems.
Old Sep 4, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

hey joe, very nice setup/installation!

Old Sep 4, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
hey joe, very nice setup/installation!

Thanks Abner. Will be getting the new HFS-5 retuned soon along with my new FP White I installed this past weekend. I may also be playing around with some E-85. Should be fun .
Old Sep 4, 2008, 07:02 PM

Damn, that's one clean setup!!!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDM4G64T
Damn, that's one clean setup!!!
Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like where the pump is mounted it's like stealth ftw
Old Sep 11, 2008, 04:22 PM

your lucky i have gone threw three sets of fitting because for some reason every month it decides to leak threw the fittings in the flow sensor.....
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dominicanopapi
your lucky i have gone threw three sets of fitting because for some reason every month it decides to leak threw the fittings in the flow sensor.....
You must either not have your fittings snug enough or you are pinching the o-ring somehow.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

great install.
off topic how do you guys drain your tanks to switch fuels?

Quick Reply: My Aquamist 2D to HFS-5 Conversion