Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Mishimoto Radiator and Hose Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 09:40 AM
spt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mishimoto Radiator and Hose Kit Review

CLICK HERE TO READ
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Mishimoto vs CBRD

In an earlier review you raved about the CBRD unit. I'm curious. How would you compare the two? Which did you prefer? What were your race temps on both? You mention a 7 degree drop, and a 16 degree drop. is this from the same starting temp?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

good to know - did you guys re-use stock fans? I got the 2 lightweight fans from them as well, I just need to figure out how to install the fans...hate using the clips...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
spt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedMR
In an earlier review you raved about the CBRD unit. I'm curious. How would you compare the two? Which did you prefer? What were your race temps on both? You mention a 7 degree drop, and a 16 degree drop. is this from the same starting temp?

Thanks
For my purposes I prefer the CBRD radiator simply because I track my evo a lot (more so then I drive it on the street). The CBRD is much more expensive but it is thiner and lighter and provided slightly better cooling performance. When you track your car it's all about how much weight you can save without sacrificing performance, which is a great recipe to spend a ton of cash. The mishimoto radiator is a great radiator for the money especially if you want to spend less then $300 for a new radiator and still get better performance over oem.

As far as temps are concern, I measured it by monitoring water temps on my Defi gauge. Usually 205 F is the highest I've seen. With the mishimoto it was in the mid 190's. CBRD was slightly cooler.

Last edited by spt; Jun 10, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:44 AM
spt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
good to know - did you guys re-use stock fans? I got the 2 lightweight fans from them as well, I just need to figure out how to install the fans...hate using the clips...
I used the lightweight fan.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks! great feedback - I'm sold on the CBRD unit. Yeah I see you out there from time to time.

Originally Posted by spt
For my purposes I prefer the CBRD radiator simply because I track my evo a lot (more so then I drive it on the street). The CBRD is much more expensive but it is thiner and lighter and provided slightly better cooling performance. When you track your car it's all about how much weight you can save without sacrificing performance, which is a great recipe to spend a ton of cash. The mishimoto radiator is a great radiator for the money especially if you want to spend less then $300 for a new radiator and still get better performance over oem.

As far as temps are concern, I measured it by monitoring water temps on my Defi gauge. Usually 205 F is the highest I've seen. With the mishimoto it was in the mid 190's. CBRD was slightly cooler.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah, we cant compete on price with those...

looks nice for the money though.

cb
Old Jun 10, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

any pics of the fan install, please!

EDIT - Did you weigh it vs the CBRD one as well. Curious what the diff was in weight....

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Jun 10, 2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
spt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
any pics of the fan install, please!

EDIT - Did you weigh it vs the CBRD one as well. Curious what the diff was in weight....
No I actually don't have pics of the fan install. It's really simple though. I basically cut the existing wires that went into the stock fan and reattached it to the new fan wires (using a soldering gun and wire insulation). I'm sure if you do a search here you should find something.

I didn't weigh it against the CBRD unit because to me they are two totally different concepts. The CBRD is definitely lighter then this unit just because the whole idea behind the CBRD unit is to be as thin/light as possible and still providing maximum efficiency. The CBRD unit also uses more expensive materials to accomplish that goal and required more engineering thought, which is why it is more expensive. The mishimoto was meant to be cost effective replacement from the oem unit. If I had a koyo unit to compare this two then I would think that would be a better comparison.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Can you elaborate on the "Evo 9 owners will need to modify their hoses" comment? Will OEM sized hoses work or do you have to use their hoses?

Are their slim fans any good?

And why does the review state the radiator is "under $300" when Mishimoto's website says it's $320?

I've been looking for an aluminum radiator more as a reliability upgrade than a performance/lightweight upgrade. I love CBRD's unit but I don't need something that extreme, I just want rid of the plastic end tanks.

- Patrick

Last edited by Vostok 7; Jun 10, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Ordering a mishimoto right now.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:37 PM
spt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vostok 7
Can you elaborate on the "Evo 9 owners will need to modify their hoses" comment? Will OEM sized hoses work or do you have to use their hoses?

Are their slim fans any good?

And why does the review state the radiator is "under $300" when Mishimoto's website says it's $320?

I've been looking for an aluminum radiator more as a reliability upgrade than a performance/lightweight upgrade. I love CBRD's unit but I don't need something that extreme, I just want rid of the plastic end tanks.

- Patrick
When I was referring to the hoses needed to be modified, I was referring to the Mishimoto hose kit. The hose we got was too long so I just cut some of it back to make it fit. The mishimoto radiator has the same location for their hose outlet as the oem unit so stock hoses should be easy to fit on.

I didn't use their slim fan. I had one of my own.

As for the price, if you look at the prices vendor's are selling them for, most are under $300.

As for reliability, I honestly can't tell you if it will last past a year because I've had the thing on my car for a couple of months now. I can't see why it wouldn't last a long time, just based on how it is built. Anything aftermarket should always be watched under a careful eye since you can't really take it in to the dealer to get it fixed under warranty. I do recommend getting yourself a set of gauges just so you can monitor temps before you install something like this, just so you have a basis to make sure nothing strange is going on.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:24 AM

I have been running my mishimoto rad for 4 months now without problems, very nice rad. Yes it does fit an Evo 9 and you can use the stock rad hoses if you want, I used the stock fan as well.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

spt - I was asking how you attached the mishi fans to the radiator itself. Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also have one of there half size in my honda if that helps the mishimoto that is and going from a full size to half size with a turbo next to it my car has never got any hotter then before and ive had mine less then a year so far so good tho i dont see y it would be any less performance for a evo i would deff put one on mine

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Radiator and Hose Kit Review