Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Roof rack fitment found

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2008, 12:08 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Roof rack fitment found

Hi All,

As I've mentioned in other posts, I needed to figure out a roof rack fitment so that I can get my mountain bike to the trails. Mitsu USA doesn't offer one, and neither Yakima or Thule list a fitment at this time. Mitsu Japan has one in their catalog that is obviously a Thule, so the proper "fit kit" clips and feet pads obviously exist.

I had most of the parts for a Thule roof rack system already, so I went to my local bike shop and Gander Mountain with the car, a trace of the roof rail contour, and picture of the JDM rack and went through every kit that I could find to see if any matched up. In the end I found Fit Kit #2120, which is listed as being for '03+ Toyota Corollas which appears to be the ticket.

I test fit everything carefully and I think it is just about perfect. The angles and length on the clips match the Evo X's roof rails perfectly, and the feet pads are the correct width and have the right "shoulder" location, though to be absolutely perfect they would need to be slightly angled to match the way that the rain gutters angle outward a bit in the front.

There are markings inside the door rails that designate the center of the foot location, and if you look that section is slightly straightened in order to accommodate the clips. I covered the areas where the feet and clips touch the car with clear-bra material, cut the crossbars down to the fit nicely, and mounted it up. The fit kit comes with two slightly different styles of the clips. The only difference is that one set is very slightly longer. I used those in the front. It also comes with a set of "spacers" that position the clips up higher in the towers, but those were too high for this application so I left them out.

It's on there very solidly and nothing is digging in or binding anywhere, so I'm happy with it for now. When Thule releases an official kit I'll change over to that - unless of course they end up specifying this same kit...

I initially mounted up a fairing, but after thinking about how amazingly thin the roof panel is I removed it. I was concerned that the fairing might push down on it's feet enough at highway speeds that it could end up denting the roof. It looked better with the fairing on, but it isn't worth risking. Mitsu doesn't show the fairing in the JDM catalog, which might also suggest the fairing isn't a good idea.

I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

--Josh
Old Jun 10, 2008, 06:43 PM

Please Josh if you can post some pictures and comments about this, as I have the same problem (I actually don't own the X yet so it is an important buying factor). I usally carry 2 MBs and a windsurf... do you think the fit kit that you found is strong enough? I also have a Thule rack so I just need the fit kit.

Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I just replied to your PM with more details but forgot to mention that I won't be able to take any pics until I get back from the RallyCross in D.C. early next week. I'll take some good pics for you then.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:29 AM

any issues with damage to the aluminum roof? I want to put a rack up for snowboards.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adrock1559
any issues with damage to the aluminum roof? I want to put a rack up for snowboards.
No, as the feet rest on the black rain rail and the outer steel roof rails. I did take off the spoiler though, as it has four small pads that rest against the roof and I was concerned that it would dent the roof at speed - that roof panel is very thin.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a NICE RACK!

(I couldn''t resist)
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:39 AM

Josh, did you ever get any pics of the roof rack taken? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks... - Ron.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:43 AM

are roof racks removable once you install them?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:46 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ronsoc
Josh, did you ever get any pics of the roof rack taken? Would greatly appreciate it. Thanks... - Ron.
Hi Ron,

I'm sorry, I haven't had the rack back on the Evo since the first test fitment. I'm hoping to go riding on Thursday, so as soon as I put it on I'll take plenty of pics.

--Josh
Old Jul 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theho1
are roof racks removable once you install them?
Yes, they simply grab onto the roof rails and then you release them to remove the racks.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JWA
Yes, they simply grab onto the roof rails and then you release them to remove the racks.
are these rails the ones that are built into the roof itself?

so when you remove the racks, the rood just looks like a regular roof with nothing attached right?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:08 AM

Thanks

Thanks... Have a good ride, Ron.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:56 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by theho1
are these rails the ones that are built into the roof itself?

so when you remove the racks, the rood just looks like a regular roof with nothing attached right?
No, there are not any anchor points below the black trim rails. I wish that there were, as it makes for a much cleaner install. That's one of the things that I like about my STI.

I could try to explain how they mount, but it'll be easier to understand in pictures. My ride today got canceled, but I'll mount it up in the next day or two to get the pics for you guys.

Nothing is mounted permanently, when you remove the rack, which takes a couple minutes total, it is completely back to normal.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:44 PM

I actually went out and did the same thing, except i own a evo 8 RS. This kit fits pretty well on the steel door rails. so there isnt any part touching the aluminum roof.

One thing is you probably need 2 people to make it fit correctly i couldnt tension mine without having one side slide. but that might be not getting the correct bar width. But anyways it works with the Thule kit for the evo's roof profile.

Cheers
Old Aug 10, 2008, 01:33 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

I finally put the rack back onto the Evo this afternoon, and took a bunch of pictures. You can see how well the clips match the angles of the roof rails, and that the rubber pads fit onto the black rain rails nicely, but that to be absolutely perfect the fronts should have a bit of an angle on them to match the way that the roof rails curve outwards.

It's easy enough to put on and take off, and is solid once on. You might notice that I put some sections of clear bra material at the contact points just to be careful with the paint. It would be nice to have the spoiler on there, but I don't want to risk it putting too much pressure on the roof, as the support pads would rest on the aluminum section.

Quick Reply: Roof rack fitment found