Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec review (post-autox)n

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec review (post-autox)n

I bought a set of Dunlop Direzza Z1s - the new "Star Spec" compound - in 245/40/17 and had them installed Saturday. I was running winter tires before, so keep that in mind when reading my review. I'm running on Megan street coilovers (probably upgrading to some Robi KWs soon).

The ride is, of course, a fair bit harsher and noisier than my Winter Sports, but far from unbearable on both counts. Better than the stock Advans, as I remember. I went for a cruise through some twisties on Saturday with a couple friends and the tires impressed me from the very first turn. I never came close to pushing the grip level despite some fairly aggressive driving, and found the tires extremely responsive. The sidewall is stiff enough to inspire plenty of confidence and give great response but doesn't kill your spine on the street.

With 160 miles on the tires (significantly less than the supposed 500 mile break-in), I went autocrossing yesterday. The tires amazed me on the very first run. Tons of grip - I was driving hard but they weren't making much noise at all. When they did break away during some trail-braking in a high-speed slalom and the back end stepped out, it was very easy to regain control of the car. Once I got the coilovers set up and dialed-out the understeer, the tires continued to impress. Communicative, responsive, excellent in transitions, and wicked grip for a street tire.

Overall, I highly recommend them. They are superior to the stock Advans in every way and yet are significantly cheaper.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing a local STS'er said at our event yesterday. I can't wait to try them out.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine just arrived today. I will try them out at the next event, which will probably be Divisionals May 3,4.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Good info. I wanted to upgrade to a 245/40 anyway and now I'll look for a sale on these....
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great news! I'm sure others will follow with similar comments.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

i just recieved the same size today ...will get them on and review soon
thanks neal
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:54 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
how does the sidewall stiffness and thickness compare to the advan A046? I remember my old advans when they replaced it with new ones that even if it was almost bald the thread and sidewall stiffness was still there.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
how does the sidewall stiffness and thickness compare to the advan A046? I remember my old advans when they replaced it with new ones that even if it was almost bald the thread and sidewall stiffness was still there.
Honestly, I really couldn't tell you. I haven't driven on Advans since December and that was on stock suspension...
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:31 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Honestly, I really couldn't tell you. I haven't driven on Advans since December and that was on stock suspension...
I mean with tire carcass out of the wheel and your new dunlops, how did it looked like? compare? I was not asking about the drive/handling because that can be subjective. The reason I asked was, when I replaced my advan with another brand, the wall of the old advan was so thick and stiff that I can stand on it without flexing the tire, it looked like a waste but it did not have any thread left on it anymore.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put on 255's. They are a pretty wide 255. Stacked up they are about 2-3 wider overall than the RT 615's.

I havn't pushed them yet but they feel really nice so far.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
I mean with tire carcass out of the wheel and your new dunlops, how did it looked like? compare? I was not asking about the drive/handling because that can be subjective. The reason I asked was, when I replaced my advan with another brand, the wall of the old advan was so thick and stiff that I can stand on it without flexing the tire, it looked like a waste but it did not have any thread left on it anymore.
I never got a chance to look at the Advans off the wheel. I had the tire place cut them up as they were useless after a full season.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the review! I'm going to pick up a set to try just as soon as my RE-01Rs go
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ECS Performance
Thanks for the review! I'm going to pick up a set to try just as soon as my RE-01Rs go
I'm actually contemplating taking the financial plunge for some RE-01Rs. Does anyone have experience with both these tires? Will the Direzza Z1's really hold like the RE-01Rs?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lords3t
I'm actually contemplating taking the financial plunge for some RE-01Rs. Does anyone have experience with both these tires? Will the Direzza Z1's really hold like the RE-01Rs?
Well I obviously can't speak for the Z1's but I can say that the REs are simply put, one of the best street tires that I've ever driven on. You really can't go wrong with them. I find the ride to be better than the OEM Advans. The initial bit is a bit less, but I actually happen to like to softer feel at first. It then rolls into it quite nicely.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I threw my Star Specs on, on Saturday. I went 245/40/18. Had to roll the rear fenders a little bit. These were mounted on 18x9 +29 Advan RS.

For the most part my car is a daily driver, but it sees a lot of cloverleaf action. I took a cloverleaf at a decent amount of speed and I felt like I was on rails the whole time.

Tires are extremely responsive as well. The noise level isn't to bad while cruising, and they seem to absorb some of the smaller bumps in the road a lot better than my Blizzak LM-25's.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec review (post-autox)n