Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New motor and all

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New motor and all

Im in need of a new motor i was thinking about going with the slow boy racing stage 3 2.4L with there stage three race head and taking my cosworth 272's cams out and putting in the new motor i dont got the thousands of dollars for a new turbo kit so i was wondering what turbo can i get for a great price that bolts to stock manifold or is under 2,000 that i can use for a DD till i can get a Full Turbo kit all help will be appriciated... i was reading about the evo 9 turbo's will that get me to where i can drive and boost and get on it with this block and head or should i go for the FP Green
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Go Green.

l8r)
Old Apr 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

i would do green turbo too
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I see your going with a slowboy setup. From personal and from many others that have got in the past a built motor or motor parts from slowboy i will highly advise you to look somewhere else for you motor setup.

There has been nothing but fights and long long wait times to get parts and a motor back then for a few miles down the road something happens i rather see people stay away from there shop.

If i where you and your looking into a 2.4L motor give mynes a call they where one of the first's to build them and knowing someone there with a 2.4L that has been nothing but soild i would look that way. The head porting can be done anywhere. Once you buy the parts any good port shop will give you a full race port for $500-700 bucks it will still cost cheaper to go that way then get the extra 300-500 mark up.

If your not stuck on a 2.4L look at your options BR, AMS, JAM great vendors and there motors are tested.

Turbo forget going green just spend $2700 and get you a real turbo kit here is the link.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=330202

Just go non b/b for awhile then setup up.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As others said, call Buschur, AMS or JAM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:48 AM
Account Disabled

This thread amuses me - what is getting old is the same old people who say "stay away" and "OMG - don't go there" - or "Mike Huml kicks babies, I swear I saw it on the news" - I think people do not like Slowboy - simply becuase we are called "Slowboy" - if It were Huml Performance I am sure I would even sell more motors - but everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

If you took the rest of the Mitsubishi guys who sponsor this forum, and you added up how many motors we machine IN HOUSE and build IN HOUSE and compare it to there #'s I think you would be very surprised. There is no one in this forum who builds a better motor than the guys I have working here, PERIOD.

We have over 100 years of automotive machining experience between Josh (lead machinist), Jeff (machinist), Tim (machinist), and James (machinist). These four guys have the best equipment in the business to work with as well, from a new Sunnen SV-10 Diamond hone to the Serdi 3.0 to do all your head work to an RMC surfacer that can use CBN or PCD cutting technology to assure your metal head gasket has the best possible sealing surface on the cylinder head or block.

Still in disbelief?

You are all welcome here anytime and I can introduce you to everyone and take you through the shop -

Thank you and have a nice day.

Mike Huml
Slowboy -

PS - anyone see that EVO IX in Rally America with Andrew Comrie Picard behind the wheel?

Oh - he is in second place in the US and North America after three races this year, you do not say?

That car was built at Slowboy - NO WAY - the motor too - YOU BET.

PSS - sorry for the sarcasm - some people really anoy me
Old Apr 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Wow

Mike you need to cool down there budy. There is no need to pm you im not going to get nothing out of it.

The whole haters thing i think you should drop it you should act a lil more your age.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK guys...have a look at our review rules. We do not allow second hand and certainly not second site reviews, no random unbacked comments. Lets just all play nice and not trash a thread. Post you opinion, but if you do not have experience, dont post like you do. For those that do, we have a review section with rules. Those rules apply everywhere so lets try to follow them
Old Apr 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

what companys sell a 2.4 block and heads that arent way out of price range i mean 7,000 for a block thats a big no any ehlp plz need motor really really soon
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

The FP green would be a good way to go and you might not even want to upgrade. or save some coin and get the Evo VI TME
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had to delete yet another post. Please read my last post or face infractions. No cross posting to other sites. We have rules about negative rviews that those are not following
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Wow

Mike you need to cool down there budy. There is no need to pm you im not going to get nothing out of it.

The whole haters thing i think you should drop it you should act a lil more your age.
#1) I need not calm down - put yourself in my shoes - someone comes after me with acusations of motors taking three months to build - and you did not EVEN ORDER THE MOTOR FROM ME YOURSELF... that means I want to look into what happened. If it turns out you are right - I owe you an apology. If it turns out you were lying then people need to know the truth.

#2) I will never act my age - what fun is that?

#3) Haters - I should drop it - you mean I they should drop it? Oh - I see - I am not the one following myself around from forum to forum to spread the gospel of how horrible of a person I am.

Mike Huml
Slowboy -
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evo818
what companys sell a 2.4 block and heads that arent way out of price range i mean 7,000 for a block thats a big no any ehlp plz need motor really really soon
PM sent - to avoid further complications.

Mike Huml
Slowboy -
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SBR INC
#1) I need not calm down - put yourself in my shoes - someone comes after me with acusations of motors taking three months to build - and you did not EVEN ORDER THE MOTOR FROM ME YOURSELF... that means I want to look into what happened. If it turns out you are right - I owe you an apology. If it turns out you were lying then people need to know the truth.

#2) I will never act my age - what fun is that?

#3) Haters - I should drop it - you mean I they should drop it? Oh - I see - I am not the one following myself around from forum to forum to spread the gospel of how horrible of a person I am.

Mike Huml
Slowboy -

First off i didnt buy a block from you i got the stage 3 2.3L kit. NOT a motor. Like i said this happen over 1 year 8 months ago. There is no point in chating about it now i didnt get anything done then what makes it any good now. I ordered the kit from one of your vendors which happens to still uses you.

The haters thing. Who is hateing on you no one where mad about certin things we dont follow you around you come in on threads we dont go into your threads. And ask your self what is a haters job its to hate so let him or her be. Haters hate on you becasue you got nice things they dont got. Who cares if you made 1.5mil in sales there are far more bigger shops then you that have made that in less then 2 weeks.

I did keep this clean.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The best way to select a motor size is to decide what your goals are first. If you want to have high RPM ability, a stroker is not the optimum way to go. A built 2.0L would be the better option. If you want a stroker, there are a number of companies that build them. Call them, read their posts here, and get references if you're dealing with a company that does not have 100% feedback. Find out their guarantee, and whether they have a discount price if the motor they supply to you is damaged because of something you did. I seem to remember a thread, for example, that Buschur warranties their motors against their defects, and will fix it at cost if the damage was your fault. That's the kind of information that's useful in deciding which builder to buy from. Some companies have a poor reputation. It may or may not be warranted, but that's information that should make you do more investigation before you buy. Good luck in your research and in your selection.

I'd recommend the FP Green as a nice turbo choice. After you install it, and get it supported and tuned, you may find that you're satisfied with the level of performance you have, and don't need to spend the money for a built block or head. There are several cars running 11s and at least 2 off the top of my head that are running 10s with that combination. How fast do you want to go?

Quick Reply: New motor and all