Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Agency Short Ram Intake install and review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agency Short Ram Intake install and review

Hello, I just installed the Agency Power Intake and below you will find what my personal opinion is on the product. I purchased the intake right after I purchased my X, not much research was done on the product. I liked the way it looked and especially liked the way it had a wall / barrier just for the cone filter. Here we go....

The install went pretty well and straight forward even though I could not find any instructions.

My first hiccup I had with the install was that I could not keep the OEM ram air attached to the Agency barrier compartment for the cone filter attached together. The factory plastic ram has four tabs that is supposed to attach to the interior diameter of the Agency Ram air oval opening. The oval opening on the Agency wall / barrier is actually slightly larger and the wall thickness of the aluminum plate used is also thicker making for a sloppy fit that will not hold.

My solution was to use four screws to hold the OEM ram to the Agency aluminum plate. I drilled four 1/4" holes through the aluminum plate and used 8/32 coarse thread screws for better bite on the plastic ram air housing.
Another thing I had trouble with was the screws to fasten the MAF sensor on the Agency housing was not provided in the box it came in. I was luckily enough to find the screws I needed from my other r/c hobbies stash. Also the K&N cone filter provided with the kit stays secure by laying on top of the wall / barrier box plate....no strap, no bracket just sits on top. My vehicle has roughly 900 miles on the clock an my seat of the pants dyno tells me that it pulls slightly harder from 3K and on top, the stutter is still there not as noticeable but, still there. My overall impression of the product? If I had to do it again I would definitely go a different route and research more. If I didn't have to rig and find my own screws that were supposed to come with the kit it woudn't be so bad. I just wanted to share my experience with the Agency Power ram air product to other members that is thinking about purchasing the same product. Thanks for reading.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

great write up did you reset the ecu ? also how much did this cost ?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You should talk to Vivid or Agency Power about the fact that screws were missing and the fitment issues. This definately should be addressed for future X owners looking to go this route. Hopefully they will do something for you also. Perhaps a new heat shield piece that fits better? Let us know how it goes!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by apex_silver
great write up did you reset the ecu ? also how much did this cost ?
Thanks, I paid $300.00 + with shipping to my door. I didn't know that I needed to reset the ECU. I haven't had any CEL pop up.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Ouch that's a lot of dough for just an intake.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rguy
Ouch that's a lot of dough for just an intake.
Yes it is, lessoned learned. I just wanted to MOD as soon as I drove off the dealer lot. LOL!
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by duc996
Thanks, I paid $300.00 + with shipping to my door. I didn't know that I needed to reset the ECU. I haven't had any CEL pop up.

Did you at least get a reach around. lol Thanks for ruling out that product for any furture EVO owners looking to get a intake. For $300 I would expect alot more.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by duc996
Yes it is, lessoned learned. I just wanted to MOD as soon as I drove off the dealer lot. LOL!
I guess you haven't learned that lesson about Vivid yet. Oh, right, the Agency Power stuff is probably *actually* in stock and not drop shipped.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

What a complete rip-off! No offense to those that purchased this product, none whatsoever. How does Agency Power/Vivid Racing get off selling a freaking K&N filter for $300!? Several other board members have installed $20+ filters purchased at Autozone and will see the same result as this BS! The main selling point (or the other $280) was supposed to be this heat shield, but if it doesn't fit or you have to mod it with screws...well that just takes the cake! Well, looks like I'll be taking my biz elsewhere...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I would reset the ECU if I where you. I did that on my evo when I put the K&N cone filter on it and it made a huge difference once the ECU was reset. HAve you seen the air intake that COBB is making. The heat shield box looks top notch and sexy as hell with the CF lid.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yea for $300 you would certanly except more, like the intake pipe...
Old Apr 7, 2008, 08:58 PM
Account Disabled

for $300 bucks you should have had no issues with it.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:04 AM

resetting the ECU

Originally Posted by EvoX_SA
I would reset the ECU if I where you. I did that on my evo when I put the K&N cone filter on it and it made a huge difference once the ECU was reset. HAve you seen the air intake that COBB is making. The heat shield box looks top notch and sexy as hell with the CF lid.
To reset the ECU, do I just disconnect the battery for a few minutes? Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:44 AM

Thanks for saving me 300 bucks. I came very close to pulling the trigger on this just because it came with the heat shield. Looks like Cobb will be getting the 300 instead.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by pseulak
Thanks for saving me 300 bucks. I came very close to pulling the trigger on this just because it came with the heat shield. Looks like Cobb will be getting the 300 instead.
Like I said earlier, I wanted Board members thinking about making the same purchase to know about my experience in the install and my personal opinions. An informed purchase is way safer / better than just looking at pictures. Glad I could help make an informed purchase. I just noticed the price has dropped on the product!

Quick Reply: Agency Short Ram Intake install and review