ECU Flash

whats so special about 96940011?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
whats so special about 96940011?

Hi all,

can someone try and fill me in on whats so special about Evo's with ROMID 96940011.

I am trying todo the V5 patch for this ID, and there is almost no space free to work with. Not even enough to put the new code in letalone the maps!

I am thinking maybe these evo's can upgrade to another romid?

Cheers
D.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From a quick search it seems like it could be unique to USDM late Evo VIIIs, but apart from that, I can't help I'm afraid.

Doesn't seem to be that many people with it, and I guess if the patch can't be done because of space constraints, it just can't be done and they'll have to upgrade?

I know I wouldn't have a problem replacing my stock ECU for a different one in order to get the V5 features, but perhaps others can comment.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:33 AM
EvoM Guru

yeah - i wouldn't have a problem getting people to go from 94170008 to 94170015, but 96940011 to 94170xxx might be problematic.. we won't know until someone either says no problem, or someone else just tries it :P

not that im advocating that, i would prefer to do a bit of research first - hence this thread
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can anyone confirm it is the same 8 ecu hw?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 96940011 ROM is the last USDM VIII ROM. This is the only ROM for the entire 05 USDM Evo VIII.

The major change that I can think of right now is that the 05 USDM Evo is the first and only VIII with an ACD. There are no upgrades to this ROM, as the next ROM is a IX, with a ROM size that is double, so it obviously won't be compatible with the VIII ECU.

Eric
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst
I don't *think* we could change to a previous ROM. 96940011 is the only ROM for the 05 USDM Evos. The 05 Evo is the first UDSM to have the ACD and the last ROM before the IX ROMs. I'm sure some of the code is related to the ACD, but besides that I forgot the rest of the changes to the 05.

In any event, even if it's difficult to fit in the patching, since this is the only 05 ROM, it may be worth it to give it a shot and see what you can do.

Eric
Perhaps if 96940011 users wanted some of the features of V.5, but not all, it would be possible in the space available?

That would mean the users coming to a consensus on what they wanted between them, though.

Presumably you could ditch the option to use the Auto ICS switch for AltMap on this ROM, but I doubt that would save much space?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Youngsyr
Presumably you could ditch the option to use the Auto ICS switch for AltMap on this ROM, but I doubt that would save much space?
Yes, that is definitely some code/logic that can be removed as the 05 USDM Evo does not have an ICS.

Eric
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by l2r99gst
Yes, that is definitely some code/logic that can be removed as the 05 USDM Evo does not have an ICS.

Eric

This ROM is special because it's an exile, maybe even a true genuine child of zion?

Yeah, there is no need for all the ICS stuff.. We don't even have the hardware in the car.

If the pinout still exist on the ecu though, it would be cool to buy an 03 ICS spray button, installit and use that for map switching. A nice OEM button/switch.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkklemann

Yeah, there is no need for all the ICS stuff.. We don't even have the hardware in the car.

If the pinout still exist on the ecu though, it would be cool to buy an 03 ICS spray button, installit and use that for map switching. A nice OEM button/switch.
Even if the pinout on the ECU doesn't exist for the Auto ICS switch, couldn't just install the stock Auto ICS switch and wire it up as an interrupter switch (which I believe will be an option on V.5) in any case?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Youngsyr

Doesn't seem to be that many people with it, and I guess if the patch can't be done because of space constraints, it just can't be done and they'll have to upgrade?

I know I wouldn't have a problem replacing my stock ECU for a different one in order to get the V5 features, but perhaps others can comment.
Just clear this up, since this is the one and only ROM for the USDM 05 EVO, there is going to be a lot of Evo owners that will want this. Sure we would like to use a different ROM, but I am not sure if that is possible with the ACD. Now maybe there are some non-USDM ROMS that would work, but emissions may play a hand in that too.

I understand that if it can't be done then the 05 owners are out of luck, but that is a significant part of the Evo market. As has been said earlier, this maybe a ROM that Tephra uses to strip out all the unused code on!!

Maybe a POLL is need to determine the 05 market to determine if the ROI for this change is a factor for this, from Tephra's perspective. THoughts?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This plays into a question I've been mulling around a bit: while the hardware attached to the ECUs on various model Evos is different, the base ECU seems to be the same, ie. same processor across all models, no? Architecturally, are there any other major differences; memory addressing, endianness, etc? (This is directed more toward tephra, jcsbanks, bez, malibujack, etc...)

You can probably see where I'm going with this: has anyone considered a unified source tree that could build a ROM for all models? tephra, given the effort you put in with each release of your code, you're probably the closest to this of anybody at this point. The benefit would be pretty obvious: everyone could contribute to a single line of development, rather than the duplicated effort we have now. The cost would be a huge up-front "porting" effort, getting a first-cut buildable tree that "runs everywhere", but once that's done... I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, though, since I've never seen the idea floated before.

Maybe this would be better as a separate thread.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Its the first US VIII (only US for that matter) to have ACD. Perhaps the 2 are related.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 19, 2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

yep, that's the ID for my 05
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:01 PM
EvoM Guru

ok well i doubt all that extra code would be for ACD, but at least that gives me a starting point.

the code across all the ECU's is pretty much the same, just need to move addresses around to find free chunks.

ill see if the code for ICS is in there but dormant, if it is I will overwrite that bit
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:43 PM

all the EVO VIII edm and jdm versions have the acd

Quick Reply: whats so special about 96940011?