Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X driving impressions

well I finally got a chance to take a solid drive in an EVO X. It happens to be the only tuned X around right now owned by Shiv at Vishnu (thanks Shiv!). I ran the car quite hard with all stability systems off.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the car, it was almost universally better than the previous EVOs in just about every area.

Ergonomics: Big step up with the seats, slight step back with the long dash and more intrusive A pillar. Clutch and shifter feel as good as before from a function standpoint but less vibration than the previous models. Everything has a refined silky feel that is unexpected but very welcome, it feels more upscale, much nicer all around though it is still not quite an Audi inside (no real surprise there).

Drivability: on the road at normal speeds it is much refined, you can feel the solidity of the new chassis and the significant reduction of NVH levels. Everything is well isolated, quiet and refined verses pervious EVOs. The drivetrain had a dampened feel to it with less slop and vibration, you could feel this on every shift and significant change in throttle position. The car had an exhaust on it and was very quite inside at any speed relative to an 8-9 EVO. This is a huge plus, you can have a free flowing exhaust without freeway drone!

Engine: overall excellent with smooth power through the rev band. Strong mid-range torque. Again refined and smoother than before. It does not feel like four cylinder (especially on boost ) and it's hard to believe this engine is so much smoother without balance shafts. It make a ~100hp over stock and feels great for a daily driver/track day car.

Ride: 8-9 MR like ride quality (in a non-MR X), plenty of wheel travel and control. Steering quick and precise with good feel. As a matter of fact the whole car feel more precise with less much tramlining and kickback from bumps/seams etc, more BMW M like here with the addition of refinement to the already high level of response we are all used to.

Handling: WOW!!! can't begin to impress on you how much better this is then and 8-9. The Solid Chassis and excellent wheel control are nice but the drivetrain takes the cake. The rear torque vectoring Super AYC diff make all the difference with dead neutral handling characteristics on any corner any surface at any speed. It responds and reacts perfectly anywhere in the corner. Credit also to the brake system with excellent release characteristics that allow for very precise placement into the corner at silly speeds.

With the 8-9 you could feel them roll and wash out if you loaded the car too much on entry with the X it allows for very aggressive entries with complete composure. It has much more depth of talent in stock form than an 8-9.

When you added 100hp to an 8-9 and drove it hard on stock suspension and brakes you could quickly feel the need to upgrade everything to match the new found power (but the X handles it like it's no big deal). It shows how much higher the level of the car truly is now...

Brakes: strong, fade free, slightly soft pedal but with excellent modulation. Great bias with no premature ABS intervention even across bumps and the above mentioned great release characteristics.

Summery: While the X did gain some mass ( ) it puts it to good use by elevating the car to a true refined daily driver with a much better (stiffer) unibody( ). The better weight distribution, refined suspension and amazing AWD system make it more of an EVO than ever, this car is telepathic in it's responses and as mentioned has significantly greater depth of ability than any EVO before. The Engine is also a step forward with smoothness refinement and broad power and responds to tuning better than anyone expected (though when you realize how much better the engine breaths its not much of a surprise).

I look forward to seeing the X progress and hope they bring in the full zoot model with the adaptive headlights, active steering and adaptive dampers (plus SST of course), I will take mine in White

Its a no brainer guys, it's a better car, time to sell your 8-9 to the drag racers because there's a new sheriff in town if you like going around corners

Thanks again Shiv when do I get to drive the Lambo? And Martin we need the X's diff in the TA car. That is all for now...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How can you assume how the X wll handle with 100WHP?
How many laps at a race track did you get to determine that the breaks did not fade?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

yeah if only they were sitting around at all dealerships waiting for buyers
Originally Posted by chronohunter
well I finally got a chance to take a solid drive in an EVO X. It happens to be the only tuned X around right now owned by Shiv at Vishnu (thanks Shiv!). I ran the car quite hard with all stability systems off.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with the car, it was almost universally better than the previous EVOs in just about every area.

Ergonomics: Big step up with the seats, slight step back with the long dash and more intrusive A pillar. Clutch and shifter feel as good as before from a function standpoint but less vibration than the previous models. Everything has a refined silky feel that is unexpected but very welcome, it feels more upscale, much nicer all around though it is still not quite an Audi inside (no real surprise there).

Drivability: on the road at normal speeds it is much refined, you can feel the solidity of the new chassis and the significant reduction of NVH levels. Everything is well isolated, quiet and refined verses pervious EVOs. The drivetrain had a dampened feel to it with less slop and vibration, you could feel this on every shift and significant change in throttle position. The car had an exhaust on it and was very quite inside at any speed relative to an 8-9 EVO. This is a huge plus, you can have a free flowing exhaust without freeway drone!

Engine: overall excellent with smooth power through the rev band. Strong mid-range torque. Again refined and smoother than before. It does not feel like four cylinder (especially on boost ) and it's hard to believe this engine is so much smoother without balance shafts. It make a ~100hp over stock and feels great for a daily driver/track day car.

Ride: 8-9 MR like ride quality (in a non-MR X), plenty of wheel travel and control. Steering quick and precise with good feel. As a matter of fact the whole car feel more precise with less much tramlining and kickback from bumps/seams etc, more BMW M like here with the addition of refinement to the already high level of response we are all used to.

Handling: WOW!!! can't begin to impress on you how much better this is then and 8-9. The Solid Chassis and excellent wheel control are nice but the drivetrain takes the cake. The rear torque vectoring Super AYC diff make all the difference with dead neutral handling characteristics on any corner any surface at any speed. It responds and reacts perfectly anywhere in the corner. Credit also to the brake system with excellent release characteristics that allow for very precise placement into the corner at silly speeds.

With the 8-9 you could feel them roll and wash out if you loaded the car too much on entry with the X it allows for very aggressive entries with complete composure. It has much more depth of talent in stock form than an 8-9.

When you added 100hp to an 8-9 and drove it hard on stock suspension and brakes you could quickly feel the need to upgrade everything to match the new found power (but the X handles it like it's no big deal). It shows how much higher the level of the car truly is now...

Brakes: strong, fade free, slightly soft pedal but with excellent modulation. Great bias with no premature ABS intervention even across bumps and the above mentioned great release characteristics.

Summery: While the X did gain some mass ( ) it puts it to good use by elevating the car to a true refined daily driver with a much better (stiffer) unibody( ). The better weight distribution, refined suspension and amazing AWD system make it more of an EVO than ever, this car is telepathic in it's responses and as mentioned has significantly greater depth of ability than any EVO before. The Engine is also a step forward with smoothness refinement and broad power and responds to tuning better than anyone expected (though when you realize how much better the engine breaths its not much of a surprise).

I look forward to seeing the X progress and hope they bring in the full zoot model with the adaptive headlights, active steering and adaptive dampers (plus SST of course), I will take mine in White

Its a no brainer guys, it's a better car, time to sell your 8-9 to the drag racers because there's a new sheriff in town if you like going around corners

Thanks again Shiv when do I get to drive the Lambo? And Martin we need the X's diff in the TA car. That is all for now...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove one here in Chicagoland and would echo all of your positive comments. As the owner of two 9's, I just had to see what I was missing.

Positives:
- Chassis felt extremely solid
- Brakes felt very strong
- Interior was nice (loved the fast key), but could have flowed together a little better
- Even though it's heavier, it doesn't feel like a heavy car. With all of the torque down low, it actually accelerates easier than a 9.
- It looks mean and everything flows well on the car

Negatives:
- Steering is definitely duller, I did not feel as connected to the car
- Definitely feels much weaker up top (but note: this car was bone stock)
- Tiny trunk

Overall I would agree with most of the positive posts here to say it is an evolution. However, I would only consider purchasing one IF it can hit 350+whp with similar mods as a 9 (to negate the weight gain) and rip a 11 second 1/4 mile. I still don't know if that would close the "fun gap" in comparison to the 9, but if so this would be a hell of a car. Now if the X RS came to town, whoa momma. For now, I'm very happy with my 9's and have no plans to buy the X.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by High_PSI
How can you assume how the X wll handle with 100WHP?
How many laps at a race track did you get to determine that the breaks did not fade?
Read again please, the car actually has 100 more whp...no assumption

I used the brakes for 20 minutes straight very hard at an undisclosed location which may or may not have been Infineon Raceway (where I work).
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

That was a fun ride
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
HAHA!! When a pro level driver [who drives the AMS Time Attack car and took the Vishnu Car so far in One Lap a few years ago] gives this kind of praise to the X, it goes a long way. Case closed.

PS: Sadly, this won't stop the haters from revving their engines up to flame the X anyway, but its certainly a great review from a guy who knows without a doubt what he's talking about.

Thanks for the writeup, Paul!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Nice to see the review on a modded Evo X, which pretty much confirms my suspicions after driving a stock Evo X. In stock form, the power of the car is just not able to live up to the very good chassis and extra weight. Can't wait to finagle a drive in a modded X ... preferably on a road course, hehe.

l8r)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

On a separate note, Paul, what are your feelings of learning to drive on an Evo X versus a pre-ACD VIII? In other words, how good are the Evo X's AWD electronics at making up for/masking bad driver habits versus the old mechanical AWD setup?

l8r)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent review. The X is going to be a beast on the track once more people get them and start modifiying them. Between the reviews of both you and robi this car is much better handling car.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Great review, but I will wait for the RS and then get one. Currently I own an EVO8 and I love it. Too bad I have to get rid of it. I will get the X in the near future.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome, I'm glad to see that people are warming up to this incredible car. It's about time the 9 fanboys admit that they were wrong and move on.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by civicevo380
Great review, but I will wait for the RS and then get one. Currently I own an EVO8 and I love it. Too bad I have to get rid of it. I will get the X in the near future.
RS will never come to the US keep waiting it wont come
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Awesome, I'm glad to see that people are warming up to this incredible car. It's about time the 9 fanboys admit that they were wrong and move on.
Ok now lets not get stupid here. This site is an "Evo" forum so using the term "Evo (VII,VIII,IX) Fanboy" is just retarded. Everyone is going to have differing opinions so lets just leave it at that.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I want more power outa the X and a proper 6Speed tranny that is also geared properly. enough with these ultra short 5 speeds, almost 4000RPMS at 80, enough.

Quick Reply: EVO X driving impressions