Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS EVO X Test: Part one- Stock

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS EVO X Test: Part one- Stock

As most of you know one of our employees picked up an EVO X this week and he has given us permission to open it up a bit and see how it ticks. Over the next few weeks we will be giving you step by step tests from EVO central here at AMS.

The following is an excerpt from Martin Musial, president and Chief tuner and Engineer here at AMS.

"The first pull I thought we had a boost leak. The A/F went off the scale rich and I can feel the engine bucking from inside the car as it was choking up on fuel. The dyno graph showed a rough power curve and to my surprise low power. A boost leak will cause a MAF car to run rich so just to be certain I did a boost leak test on the car and it was tight, not one leak. After a few pulls the power climbed and leveled out at about 238-240whp. On average a stock EVO IX puts down around 255-260whp on our dyno, so about 15-20whp more than the EVO X. Peak torque is about the same but as expected drops off up top compared to the IX. After searching the forums this looks about right as other EVO X’s are down about the same amount to the IX’s. So it looks like bad news right? Well before we get all upset there are a few things that look very promising.

We logged a bunch of parameters and found two interesting things. The biggest surprise is how rich the car is running. I feel that by leaning it out we’ll find a bunch of power, I’d guess 15-25whp just from that alone. The next thing we noticed was boost. Boost peaked out at 22psi and dropped down to only 13.5 psi at redline! A stock IX runs about 16 psi up top. If we can hold boost to 16-17psi I think that alone will be worth an extra 25-30whp. Timing was very consistent and it never pulled any timing during the pulls. If anything the timing seems to be a little bit on the aggressive side so it will be interesting to see if any gains can be had with timing adjustments. From just the air fuel ratio and boost level adjustments I’m confident that we can put down another 40-60whp. That would bring the EVO X to 280-300whp, which would be very respectable with only those modifications. The team at AMS will be working hard to bring you the latest information and improvements regarding the EVO X."

Here are some pics from the dyno test

Our UPS driver is a big AMS Fan (see his hat) We all but had to drag him out of the dyno to run the car LOL

Last edited by AutoMotoSports; Jan 31, 2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed!!!!!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I am lovin it in white...

good luck to you guys! we are all watching what you can do with it
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Why would Mitsubishi have them running soo rich from the factory?? Not only could they produce better performance numbers stock..they'd also get better gas mileage if it was leaned out a little more. I understand having a safe tune from the factory..but that is too conservative. I wonder if the Cali Evo's ecu maps and the ones sold elswhere that has 93/94 pump gas will be any different.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broeli
Why would Mitsubishi have them running soo rich from the factory?? Not only could they produce better performance numbers stock..they'd also get better gas mileage if it was leaned out a little more. I understand having a safe tune from the factory..but that is too conservative. I wonder if the Cali Evo's ecu maps and the ones sold elswhere that has 93/94 pump gas will be any different.
Saftey....
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

need more power!
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah...but a 9.5:1 is beyond what is needed to be safe. It's way richer than the stock IX's. If a car is loading and bucking because of how rich it is than it's waaay to rich even for a factory tune. For a performance car that requires premium fuel they need to have better a/f's stock.
I guess it's tuned so conservatively so everyone can run 87 if they want
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 AM

yeha that white is sexy. need fast updates on this one : ) please even
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Almost looks like an '03 VIII tune.

Eric,

Any idea what a bone stock 2003 Evo VIII puts down on the current AMS dyno?

Also, can you post the torque curve as well? (I'm too lazy to calculate )

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Jan 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:36 PM
AMS
Former Sponsor

Actually the power curve lays right over my '04 VIII when it was stock.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
Account Disabled

My friends this is going to be the next Beast! It looks great from the following comments. I think this car will do amazing things. Can't wait to see how strong it will be with all the Bolt-ons and a tune. Good Job AMS and keep it coming.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Good job AMS! Keep up the good work! Is the ECU very similar, or dose it still need to be cracked by some computer guru?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

it will only be a matter of time when the X becomes the ****.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone previously mentioned engine safety. Mileage estimates / tests will always be done in "closed loop" mode where the car runs 14.7 afr.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting...

Quick Reply: AMS EVO X Test: Part one- Stock