Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Restoration : Long Story Told

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restoration : Long Story Told

So lets start this simple. A shortened version is available at the end of the post, look for the bold text. Pictures are listed in a semblance of an order. I chose 21out of the 200.

(Long)[/SIZE][/B]
It's been at least 6 months or so since I first started looking at this particular vehicle - a good full year since I started looking at Evo's in the first place. At the point I finally started looking at this (and others), it was beginning to be January, and summer was around the corner.

I had a few options of how I could buy: new, used, totaled/rebuilt, or totaled. I've got the ability and resources to repair vehicles. I also had the time/patience to do so as well. But I started looking at new.

I found a couple of 06's. I found the colors I wanted, but I couldn't justify a 10,000
increase in price over the used cars for (guesstimate) a few whp, and a couple of gadgets. While they would be worthwhile, they weren't for what the car is to me - a DD I can tow the kid in, and still whip around. So I decided against a new IX.

I started to look at used vehicles, and that brought up a new question: modded (and possibly beat to ****), or un-modded? I had decided that an un-modded car, while cleaner and possibly un-beat, could have been beaten up and restored to stock. I decided also that a slightly modded car might save me a few in the end - I am rather open to different brands, so the specific mods were more of an interest than what brands they choose. I was looking at "Staged" upgrades as well for the car, so I had some idea of what I wanted to look for, and when, for upgrades. That allowed me to make a slightly informed choice on which cars to stay away from (if they jumped too far, like getting a turbo before cams, or before mbc, ectra).

That led me to slightly modded used cars. I started to look at those, and found a few that I would pay for, but sadly most of those were gone before I could jump on them (two months typically after I found them, because of clearing things up and selling current cars at the time).

Then I found a car that was for sale, with a too-good-to-be-true price. It was in the ballpark, but it was still too low. I asked for pictures, documentation, everything. And it all checked out. It apparently drove and ran perfectly as well. Sent a deposit to have the guy hold it for me for one week while I talked to my bank - and got that cleared up ahead of time.

We started the transaction, and everything was going smooth. Car got shipped (from CA), to me (in Mi). I was happy, tracking the car, ecetra ecetra. Then issues started to come up, and before I place those issues, I want to stress a few things from the seller:

The car "Drives and runs perfectly." "The car was repaired fully by (some local shop's name here), by trained professionals." There was alot of other things about it, but those are the two that are the most important to the situation. I'll leave it at that and just state that the dude was a scam artist, and dodged every question I put to him (after the car was here, of course, because that's when all of the questions came to). Last time I buy sight-unseen though.

Anyways, I had the car shipped to my house, but dropped off at a local grocery store with a large parking lot - figured it'd be easier to unload. I went with a pair of co-workers (painter and shop *****, while I am management), to get the car during the lunch hour (when he was dropping the car off). We arrived and instantly knew something was up.

To start (without opening the hood): rear-view mirror was missing in the windshield, the rubbers were miss-matched (one was bald!), the hood was fitting funny, rt side of the hood had a funky wobble in it, both fenders were fitting to the lights odd, the A-pillars on both sides were scuffed up, both mirrors had a couple of gouges, the IX replica bumper was cracked in the front middle, one of the tires was pushed back slightly (ft lt). This was with the initial walk-around of the vehicle. Of course, the truck driver was like "OMG I didn't do any of that!". heh

Well, we were hungry, so I signed the papers needed and went to the Big Boy which was in the same parking lot. While we were eating, TWO cops roll in. I was ****ting myself.

Anyways.

Start driving back to the shop, which is maybe 5 minutes away. I instantly notice something wrong with the front end, which is jerking as if my right front tire was going over a series of speed bumps. Power felt right though, and all 4 spun fine. heh, yes, I did get on it. Can you blame me? In the interior, there wasn't any issue other than that it was a little dirty from normal day-to-day driving.

We get to the shop, and it becomes a horror story. We opened the hood.

The hood had been damaged/repaired. It was carbon, a Seibon hood actually. The vent that is supposed to be there on the RT side was filled in - we found it to be filled with plastic filler & cardboard. The core support was pushed in on one side. The radiator/intercooler were aftermarket (which I knew), but the intercooler was mounted oddly. The headlamps had been "Adjusted" (shaved slightly) so that the hood would close. The hood latch had also been re-drilled and had a nifty piece of sheet metal added so that they could adjust the hood to close. It was off a good inch or two (~25mm). You could also see something funny was going on with the frame rail on the LT side - but there was too much in the way to make it out.

At this point, I decided something was going to need to be done about this. I called the seller, and began hammering him with questions. Alot of his answers were obviously uninformative or unacceptable - I don't knows, I need to talk to my dad, I need to talk to person X - and every one of them was a dodge or a skimp on the truth. I probably wouldn't be so pissed had he been forward with me. I believe more in truth than anything else.

**** went down, and this is the part that is fuzzy to me. I know I found more wrong with the car before I started to tear it down, and I don't recall how I started to tear it down. Somehow, I ended up at work after hours and during weekends with a friend, or with co-workers, or during work, or whatever, tearing into the car. One way or another, we got the sheet metal, lamps, bumper all off in one day, and found our next nightmare - the core support was BRAISED ON! Not just the upper tie bar - the entire ****ing thing. We also found that the alum fenders had been torn in at least 5 places on both, and then been mig welded and hit with plastic filler to smooth them out - this is what caused the funny fit to the lights, and also what caused an issue with the fenders looking wavy. A first-year student could have done better bodywork. At this point, I also noticed (from disconnecting them), that the headlamps didn't have fog lights, or HID's - which the VIN was telling me it should have had. As from what I could see there, the other parts missing were the duct for the intake, and the second horn. All of the sensors/wires seemed to be there. Also found that the entire LT frame rail was mashed, and torn. This was also the point where we found (through the vent) that the Seibon hood had been destroyed through ignorance and pure idiocy.

At this point, I was fairly angry. I'm rather passive, yet I still wanted to murder kittens and punch babies. At this point, I also decided it was best to get the rest of the car torn down, and on the frame rack - looked like it was time for me to do another restoration/complete. As she sat, I started to do the minor body work while I waited for the frame rack to open up - there was another vehicle being worked on at the time - so I could at least have a head start on my journey. The bodywork was finished up in less than a day, and primed (I did end up repriming one spot, oops).

Had the car on the rack, and just tore into it. Parts began flying in two directions - parts that were going to be saved and reused (like the radiator/FMIC), and parts that were going to need to be trashed/documented (like the core support). The entire front end was off, so it was in a manner of no time that the core was off the car and I was staring at the most mangled hack job I have ever seen. And I've seen some sick **** (re: 4" plastic filler anyone?). I took the front wheels off, to get them out of the way of the frame straightening, removed the front struts, and got all that out of the way. On the LT side, there was some wobble that had me curious...

I should note that before we began pulling - before the car was on the rack - we had put it on an alignment machine, and every number was WAY out of wack. Also, before we began pulling (though after we tore everything but the core support off), we had the laser frame measurement system setup. We had also trammed the inner fenders (upper rails), so we had some measurements to compare to stock.

We began pulling, and got the frame within specs - which is 2mm tolerance in any direction. (((I should note that this is argued by many, but every I-Car class I have attended, ever school I have been to, has said 3mm or less. For know it alls - **** you, your arguments wont change my mind.))) Ended up tearing the frame in one spot (yeah, bad idea), and I found what that funky spot was on the side of the LT rail. There was a square hole cut into the frame rail - I am assuming for access - and then it was rather shoddily welded back up.

Long story short, we pulled it back into specs, welded up the various tears, then etched/undercoated everything we could get spray to. I ended up putting a new core support (bought in pieces, saved $70-100 on it), and a brand new OE lt fender on the car. I found a hood (complete), fender, bumper (complete), lower engine mount & bar, cowl panel, various clips, HID/Fog headlamps, and many other parts from a local who had totaled their Evo (Thanks Fumist). We also took the car for an alignment, and everything was within 1* of spec.

After all that, she was ready for paint. I had the ft/rear windows removed as well.

I decided to keep it black, but I went with a straight black rather than TB - I didn't want the pearl - but a blue stripe found it's way down the side of the car.

Roughly a month and a half, to two months after we first saw the car in the Bush's parking lot, I had a car that looked good, rolled good, and was inspected with passing colors. The cop (inspector) was rather impressed with the Evo (not many here, 2 others, and they only just showed up after I had my car). Of course he was asking what was done to the car, and where everything was bought from. All in all, he ended up recording all of my VIN's, my receipts, and my story. Gave me a title application and sent me on my way to the DMV.

(Shortened)
So after all the blood, sweat, and tears, I've got a car now. (Well, kinda. Another story for another time) I bought the car from former RNR owner Ryan Fellows. He had a good EvoM sales rating, and there wasn't anything negative said about the guy that I could find - I had a short term search function on. After I got the car, I found many things wrong with it, and found I had been scammed. I then searched longer term (actually, fiancee who has supported me through everything did), and found that he's been regularly ****ing people here (on EvoM), and yet he had a positive rating of 26.

I put alot of time into her and got the car fixed - pulled the frame, replaced multiple hacked up parts, and repainted the entire car. I've had little help from other's, but I'd like to thank these people for supporting my entire build (no order): my boss, my fiancee for everything, fumist, Ann Arbor Mitsubishi, my Father, my co-workers (Luke, Andy, Don), my good friend Mike, and my little Boy, who I wouldn't have this car if it wasn't for him coming into my world.

Now I'm going to talk numbers. These are going to be vauge for memory reasons, and because I wasn't trying to keep track for sanity reasons, but I know people will be asking. 16,500 car, 700 shipment, 900 used parts, 600 new parts, 600 paint/shop materials.

All in all, I probably would have been better off buying used. For what it is worth, this is the best damn Evo out there in my eyes, and not a one opinion will change that. 1,000whp be damned. Super clean be damned. This is my car, my blood, my sweat, and my tears.

At the moment, the car currently has no engine/trans. I blew a HG, and have decided that now would be the time that I build the motor up alittle. I've got a write up for that as well, lol.

(Damn, that's alot)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
And frame sheets:
Before, After

And the only exterior picture I have sofar:

Last edited by MikSchultzy; Oct 9, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Q&A Post:

mitsuozboi: you bought it that way not knowing of the damage? I guessed im confused at that. hah
So, you didnt look the car over when you bought it?

Yeah, had I known, I would have gone for a much lower price. The car was across the USA. Last time I buy unseen.

Evoryder: JAWS made it to land and took a snack size bite out of your frame?

I wish.

596736: You failed inspection and that is how u found out the damage?

No, car didn't even get titled till I was done with it.... shhhh.... I am somewhat baffled though, that CA would have allowed the car to leave when it was supposed to have been inspected there.

Aux: As in how much you purchased this heep for and how much you spent to fix it. Is the title registersed as salvaged or are you still good and clean?

The title is "Rebuilt", which is supposed to be a step up from "Salvaged". Apparently Michigan doesn't allow "Salvaged" titles - only "Rebuilt". Numbers are in the lower section of the OP.

Chiba kun: ok, so Im waiting on the 4th picture that shows that you tracked down the seller and broke his knees for trying to f*ck you on the sale.

I'm willing to pay someone to Tanya-Harding someone's leg, but I think that would land me alot of trouble. Not to mention just going out to do it myself would cost more than worth on that tool

evovin: how much it cost you for the paint job?

I did the work myself - it only cost me materials. Somewhere around 4-600. (That's with everything, sanding, primer, plastic filler, ect)

joeymia: is that even a 4g63? The cylinders bore seems to be rather large. Might be the camera the angle...

Yeah, it is. The inspector had to check every # on the car to make sure nothing was stolen. The entire engine checked out. The machine shop that the engine is currently at also checked the numbers.

Last edited by MikSchultzy; Oct 10, 2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow is all I have to say, I cannot wait to see pictures!
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
Former Sponsor

yeaa.. thats crazy...

definetly need the long version to get an understanding of how bad you want this car.

welcome!
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You should of held out on typing this and gone to a lawyer to see if anything could have been done. Man I feel bad when I see someone get scr**ed like this. Glad you fixed it back up though.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

I too fell victim to buying a car sight unseen.....never again.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Cant wait to see the pics, sounds like you do fantastic work.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

someone has got to get a hold of Ryan and strangle this motherf*****!
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

well it could be worse... you could have the evo in my story....lol
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thestereogod
well it could be worse... you could have the evo in my story....lol
Disregarding the situation in which the vehicles were acquired, and considering more of the vehicle's condition, I'd have traded in a heartbeat.

I'm going to start naming/uploading the pictures after dinner/shower tonight.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Mark my words: There's a nice, warm place reserved in hell for Ryan Fellows.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear, but sounds like you got the car you want now, i think he's local to me
Old Oct 9, 2007, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Update bump.
Pictures updated and linked, lemme know if one doesn't work.

I should note that the car is in pieces again. I'm working on the motor:
1 2 3

And my little boy decided to help me.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

That chump got me too, bout to buy a 05 silver evo from him and gave him a 500 security deposit and he assured me the car was in good condition granted it had a salvage title. I drove from vegas to san diego to look at it and it was not what i wanted and he gave me false advertisement. I.e. no rear view mirror, SSL with no HIDS, a IX front bumper with no lip. The wife and I walked from the deal and he took my 500 deposit.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

how much it cost you for the paint job?

Quick Reply: Restoration : Long Story Told