Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

trans or tcase problems?????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
trans or tcase problems?????

hi all. here is the scoop. 2003 evo 8. 56k miles. BEAT TO DEATH. imo and the people who know me.

i went to the track a few weekends ago. and my last pass i had some scary wheel hope. came around to the pits and i rev match every gear when i down shift. i hit 1st gear and i heard a wine like you would not beleave. its very loud. so i came home and changed my oil, tcase, trans, rear diff in hoping maybe it was time to do so. well the wine is still there. the car makes NO noise on excel in any gear and no noise on decel in any gear unless its 1st gear. now i know stock it used to wine a tad but this is much louder now. the car shift's perfectly fine in and out of all gears.. i have an exedy twin and since then i got at least 20k on it. and about 25 1/4 mile passes. the sound is coming from the front of the car for sure. can anyone guide me to my problem and a fix.

if i do have a problem and depending on what it is about how long do i have befor whatever it is is toast??? thanks guys.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was at the track this week and i also had some scary wheel hop off the line and the car actually popped out of first gear. when the car is in 1st now and coasting (off the throttle) it wines like crazy. it does not do this while in throttle in first though or in any other gear at any time.

i am also interested in knowing what is wrong.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by syktek
i was at the track this week and i also had some scary wheel hop off the line and the car actually popped out of first gear. when the car is in 1st now and coasting (off the throttle) it wines like crazy. it does not do this while in throttle in first though or in any other gear at any time.

i am also interested in knowing what is wrong.
sounds like your issue is like mine as well. o boy.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
poppin out of gear is tranny related but transfer cases and rear diff's love to whine.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvieira24
poppin out of gear is tranny related but transfer cases and rear diff's love to whine.

i dont have gear pop out.

i got wine. but why dose it not wine in all gears excel or decel?? it only wines in 1st on decel
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Have you guys considered upgrading the motor mounts? rear diff carrier, mustache bar, and rear trailing arm bushings???

I have done those and have NEVER experienced wheel hop ever in my EVO.....

wheel spin yes, wheel hop no.....aside from that my car just leaves the line smoothly....unless i bog my launch then thats a different story
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Have you guys considered upgrading the motor mounts? rear diff carrier, mustache bar, and rear trailing arm bushings???

I have done those and have NEVER experienced wheel hop ever in my EVO.....

wheel spin yes, wheel hop no.....aside from that my car just leaves the line smoothly....unless i bog my launch then thats a different story
no i have not. at all.

so a good set or just a front bushing??

call me stupid. rear diff carrier??
mustache bar
trailing arm bushings?? white line make these??

i had crazy wheel hop and i though i bounced into the passenger seat it was so bad. haha
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodan2004
no i have not. at all.

so a good set or just a front bushing??

call me stupid. rear diff carrier??
mustache bar
trailing arm bushings?? white line make these??

i had crazy wheel hop and i though i bounced into the passenger seat it was so bad. haha
For the motor mounts I suggest you go all out and do the Buschur racing F & R mounts..... part is cheap, but labor is going to be additional... I had Turbotrix install the F & R mounts for me, including the rear diff carrier and mustache bar bushings since I dont have access to a press or a lift....

As for the rear diff carrier and mustache bar bushings, yes whiteine makes them, but the Energy Suspension polyurethane units work well and are the cheapest.
If you go for the ES units make sure that you get the black bushings.... since they are self lubricating....

You should try reading up on these parts....
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

For the motor mounts I suggest you go all out and do the Buschur racing F & R mounts..... part is cheap, but labor is going to be additional... I had Turbotrix install the F & R mounts for me, including the rear diff carrier and mustache bar bushings since I dont have access to a press or a lift....

As for the rear diff carrier and mustache bar bushings, yes whiteine makes them, but the Energy Suspension polyurethane units work well and are the cheapest.
If you go for the ES units make sure that you get the black bushings.... since they are self lubricating....

You should try reading up on these parts....

i got a lift and a press. so im set there

id rather whiteline. im this far in the game why go cheep you know.

i have had no time to be online to read up latly. i been working way to much that past munth. **** i wonder if i still got my g/f. brb.

i will do some searching on these parts and info. thanks bud for getting this started.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

i got a lift and a press. so im set there

id rather whiteline. im this far in the game why go cheep you know.

i have had no time to be online to read up latly. i been working way to much that past munth. **** i wonder if i still got my g/f. brb.

i will do some searching on these parts and info. thanks bud for getting this started.
Here, taken from Energy Suspensions website:

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mit.html

scroll to the bottom under the Lancer EVO 8 section

From Buchurs site:

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...50fd36c054f618

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=181
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

seams b/r also makes a solid mustache bar bushing.. what is the difference in solid to polyurethane. whats better put it that way.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

seams b/r also makes a solid mustache bar bushing.. what is the difference in solid to polyurethane. whats better put it that way.
solid will definately be more stiffer than the poly u bushing for sure..... I guess its up to you, how much you want to spend, and how stiff you really need it to be. But for me the poly-u bushings does the job.

I was thinking of switching out for the actual buschur rear mustache bar, but for $275 plus install fees I dont know if it'll be worth the price just to save 13 pounds....
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

solid will definately be more stiffer than the poly u bushing for sure..... I guess its up to you, how much you want to spend, and how stiff you really need it to be. But for me the poly-u bushings does the job.

I was thinking of switching out for the actual buschur rear mustache bar, but for $275 plus install fees I dont know if it'll be worth the price just to save 13 pounds....
yea i dig that race car feel. lol. price means nothing to me as long as it works you know.

yea 13lbs for 300+ on a dd is kinda out of my leage as well. ill start with a full bushing kit and motor mounts. see where that gets me. thanks man.

now that i got wheel hope mostly taken care of back to the main issue at hand. that damn wine. lol
Old Oct 7, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

bump