Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

RRE "No Name" clutch experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRE "No Name" clutch experiences?

While my clutch is stock, and working well, I still want to have a clutch picked out for my future.

I have this 10 year powertrain warranty that I want to keep, and when I spoke to my local dealership about the weak factory clutch, they said "change to a performance clutch, and we won't waranty any powertrain issues"

So, in searching the web, and this site, I found this clutch that seems like a good idea, but I can't find anyone on this site with any experience with it. It's called the "No name" or "stealth" clutch by RRE (Road Race Engineering). Here's what they say about it.

We have been building these for the DSMs for a few years now. First we built 10, tweaked them a little, then another 10, added a reinforcing ring, made another 10, changed the disc, made another 10, changed the clamp load, made another 10, changed the friction material... We have built and sold and installed over 100 of these now and are settled on a design. Basically we took the best features from all of the favored clutches and came up with a combination that we liked. The local So Cal DSM guys know it well and ask for this clutch, some call it the "X-clutch" because it has no name, we just call it a "No Name" clutch. We only recently added it to the web site.

The problem for these DSM guys is that by the time we got this made and tested, all the 2Gs were long out of warranty. The stealth abilities of the clutch were not needed anymore. Here is where the EVO guys get the pay off from all of this. While you don't have the crankshaft thrust bearing failure problem to deal with, plenty of you are having too much fun with all that traction and busting up your trannies and front differentials. While the goons at MMSA will point to the slightest heat marks on your flywheel and blame you for "racing" your factory built race car, at least you wont be giving them the additional ammunition to void your warranty of a pretty painted clutch pressure plate.

We have an EVO clutch now for you that is 3,000 lbs clamp load, looks stock (no paint) and has a smooth engaging heavy duty organic disc. We use this same clutch in our 500 hp shop EVO. The price is in line with all of the other single disc clutches or cheaper. It includes a throw out bearing too. Call it what you want... No Name Clutch, X-Clutch, Stealth Clutch.
Does anyone on this board have experience with it?

Thanks,
Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't go wrong with RRE products. They are race proven.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

many people in socal can vouch for this clutch and this shop

RRE is the #1 shop in socal for many dsm/evo owners
Old Sep 15, 2007, 05:21 PM
Account Disabled

That is excellent to hear. Thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Using it with no problems.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had mine in there with the ACT Flywheel. This thing is a beast i love it. for everyday driving and street use.

PRE No name FTW...
Old Sep 15, 2007, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Run the RRE No-Name 2900lb clutch and No-Name flywheel. Love it. It is handling my 400+ DJ whp 100 octane tune NP.

Per John @ TRE, if you have a 6 speed, get the 2900lb PP. If you have a 5 speed, the 3200lb is ok.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

i meet a guy at a socal meet with a white evo with this clutch and he hated it. he said it keeped on making this strange rattling noise. i sat in his car and it sounded horriable. he brought it back to rre and they said it was supose to souldlike that.

i would stick with exedy or act
Old Sep 15, 2007, 10:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Perhaps his TOB was toast. Without taking things apart, it's hard to lay blame. No rattles here.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

I ran this clutch for the first year I owned the car. I did about 20k miles on it I'd guess, and I run it at the track once a week during the 7 month race season up here. The clutch held the power great, no complaints there, but it has the typical single plate high rpm shifting issues people with ACT and other single clutches report. The Exedy twin fixed that in a hurry. But for those looking for a stock looking clutch that holds the power and holds up against repeated drag runs on a weekly basis, it works as advertised.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

Like said before, you cant go wrong w/ RRE, ever...
Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
but it has the typical single plate high rpm shifting issues people with ACT and other single clutches report.
I don't have this problem on my personal car and have revved it to 8k on occasion.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

I shift @ 7500 sometimes...no lockout. I think it comes down to clutch adjustment.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

im running the rre flywheel. no problem here, but it makes noise when you decrease in speed in gear, but thats a standard problem with any lightened flywheel
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

The "on occasion" qualifier somewhat undermines your point, IMO. I race my car weekly, as in every week (sometimes twice a week), for 7 months out of the year. It needs to shift at 8k+ all the time, not just occasionally. I adjusted it out to the point that engagement was in the last inch of travel with no help. There are many other factors involved in high rpm shiftability besides complete disengagement. I do feel that the clutch was fully disengaging, for the record.

Last edited by kjewer1; Sep 17, 2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: RRE "No Name" clutch experiences?