Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Could this insurance quote be right?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could this insurance quote be right?

Hi all,

Obviously, I'm new to the forums and am currently in the market for an Evo, most likely an '06 IX GSR. I called up my insurance company the other day to get a quote since I'm doing a little budget pre-planning to see what it would run me, and after having searched through the numerous threads here on insurance rates I was frankly expecting the worst.

So anyway, the agent I spoke with (who, curiously enough, said his name was Jay Z) quoted me $340 / 6 months for full coverage with $500 deductibles on both collision and comprehensive. I'm 28, single, have a zero claim history since I started driving, and haven't had a ticket in 6 or 7 years. This would also be my only (i.e., commuting) vehicle on the policy.

Now, I have a hard time believing that my rate would actually be this low--I was expecting in the $100-$150 / month range. I'm thinking that maybe he just quoted me for a regular Lancer, but I clearly said Evolution on the phone and when he asked if it was "a regular Lancer or the high-performance version," I replied, "no, it's high-performance one--the Evolution." Anyway, I'm still pretty skeptical.

I'm not trying to resurrect a topic that's been beat to death, but is anyone else out there with stats somewhat similar to mine paying anywhere near this, or is the number I heard really too good to be true?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What insurance company is it?

Last edited by ak47po; Aug 25, 2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Hell roll with it. As long as they have the correct vin theres no reason to question it. By the way what company is this?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:22 PM

Oh yeah, my bad, it's with Progressive. I didn't give them a VIN because I haven't decided on the particular car yet--what I'm afraid will happen is when I give them one they'll try to pull the ol' switcheroo and jack me with a higher rate.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ak47po
What insurance company is it? Shop around for a better quote.
I might not have been as clear as I wanted in my initial post, but that quote was $340 for six months which works out to something ridiculously cheap like $58 / month, so if that is indeed what it would really be for me I doubt I could do better with anyone else.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abraxas
I might not have been as clear as I wanted in my initial post, but that quote was $340 for six months which works out to something ridiculously cheap like $58 / month, so if that is indeed what it would really be for me I doubt I could do better with anyone else.
Your right,i edited my post.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ak47po
Your right,i edited my post.
It's all good.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

I would use a random VIN number off of any evo and get a quote using that just to make sure. You can get a VIN to use off of autotrader.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

not bad price. i am 28, married, havent had a claim or ticket in about 6 years and mine averages out to 78.00 a month. i am with farmers ins.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:29 PM

Using a VIN off a car for sale online is a great idea, I think I'll call back and do that. Thanks!

Also, it's reassuring to hear that there are others out there around my age who aren't paying $150+ / month. I'm gonna hold out hope that they quoted me right the first time. I appreciate all the feedback, guys.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Its possible, I have no credit history, no accidents, one ticket, am 25, and they only want $141 from me. (state farm) It is however possible they just punched in "lancer"

Cause, boy... is there ever a huge difference there.
Its not even funny...

But for your age and standings its quite possible. Especially if you have home, and life ins, multi car etc.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:20 PM

i hate you all i am 22 drive an 03 evo and pay 178 a month. i only have one insurance claim and it was a 50/50 split almost 4 years ago...

im gonna cancel my policy now haha
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely make sure they have the correct car. I had Geico and was paying $350 a month with full coverage and $250 deductible. I then switched to Esurance and they quoted me for $230 a month for the exact same coverage. I thought it was incorrect and made sure that my VIN was correct so that they didn't think I had a Lancer. They would eventually figure it out and then jack it up anyway. Anyway, it ended up being correct and actually this month it went down to $200 a month. Just give them a random Evo VIN so they know it's an Evo and not just a lancer.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:28 PM

LOL!! I am 19... 06 evo 316.58 a month...it sucks, I would also say that you should get a vin number of a FS Evo
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8U2
i hate you all i am 22 drive an 03 evo and pay 178 a month. i only have one insurance claim and it was a 50/50 split almost 4 years ago...

im gonna cancel my policy now haha
Your not on adult rates yet, driving one of the most expensive cars to insure in the country. H24.

Shop around. If you've carried insurance for a while, or improve your credit rating, your rates will go down. Find a local agent that will give you a "student" discount. Even if your not a student...

It can be done.

Quick Reply: Could this insurance quote be right?