Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Slowboy 30r turbo kit review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slowboy 30r turbo kit review

Initial Impressions:
EDIT:http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...3/PICT0133.jpg Here is the link to the pic of the lower intercooler pipe fitment. If you look closely, you can see the pipe is pulling back on the coupler causing it to collapse itself. I actually endend up eliminating the 90 degree coupler by having a 90 degree elbow welded on to the pipe. A lot less room for boost leaks that way, but I did that only out of preference.

This review is a little overdue. I bought this turbo kit in March and finally got around to installing it in late May. I'm waiting to get tuned, but I have some positives and negatives already.

The good: First of all, this has the potetial to be a very good kit. I love the fact that it uses a Hafe manifold, which I was considering using when I was contemplating piecing my own turbo kit. The kit itself is somewhat well thought out. It has a few problems, but I'll get into thise later. Overall fitment of the kit is okay. The kit clears the stock radiator fan, and the intake clears most intercooler pipe setups (some are obscure which is why I bring this point up). The kit itself is very competitive in price. THe parts used in the kit are of good quality.

The Bad: There is a potentially serious flaw to this kit. THe oil feed line uses the WRONG SIZE BANJO FITTING!!! Provided with the kit is an 11mm banjo fitting, which is too big for the banjo bolt and allows for play that should not be there. It should be a 10mm banjo fitting. This incorrect fitting allows for a serious oil leak and potentially serious oil starvation problem unless the fitting is absolutely perfectly centered on the bolt and crush washers. Slowboy is aware of the problem but seems unwilling to do anything about it even after multiple emails (which recieved no response) and a phone call where I was told I was given the fitting they provide everyone (which is true because the oil line kits I've seen from them leak as well). I had the fix this problem at my own expense. $27 plus shipping. THank you Mr. Huml.

The lower intercooler pipe, although well built (very nice welding, and I really do mean that), does not fit well. It seems to have been desinged to fit as if the outlet of the turbo was fitting berfectly vertically, which is impossible. If not for the fact that it uses a 90 degree silicon elbow to connect it to the intercooler, I would not have been able to drive the car home from the garage the install was done at. Even then, it was an absolutely terrible fit. The elbow to the intercooler was kink itself due to the odd fit and would probably have blown off if not for the fact that they provide t-bolt clamps in the kit. If one of the ends of the pipe was rotated a mere 20 degrees, this would not have been a problem. I also had to fix this at my own expense. I will provide fitment pics a little later. Update: After speaking with Mr. Huml through pm, a semi reasonable explanation surfaced as to why the fitment issue occured. Bear in mind that this is a somewhat universal piece and is not designed for all intercoolers. After sitting back and thinking about it, I can almost picture it fitting on a stock style intercooler (particularly the way the stocks outlets sit on the stock intercooler), especially with the way the pipe ended up naturally angling itself in a more upward direction. This is an issue the the company has had to contend with before and has more than likely resolved on the cars they did installs on based on my pm conversation.

Slowbow allows for their kits to allow for use of the MAF, which is fine. I wish they would allow the option to recirculate the BOV as well, as I had a bit of a stalling issue. I alleviated the issue by having a a recirc tube welded in the the intake they provide. I don't feel this was a serious problem with the kit, but one that should be addressed all the same.

Slowboy does not include any supporting documentation with their kits. You either have to know what you're doing or have someone else install it for you who does. A diagram at a minimum would be helpful for some people.

I have not yet gotten any dyno results yet to see how well the kit does or does not make power. I'm waiting on my car to be tuned but will post my results at a later date after it's been done.

EDIT:Don't buy from slowboy expecting good service. They will essentially leave you hanging once they have your money. These were my initial words to you. After talking with Mr. Huml through pm, I can assure you that words do get through to him. He does listen. For issues, contact slowboy through their general mailbox (which Mr. Huml does read through), to Mr. Himl's mailbox directly (which I can't remember off the top of my head but will post when I find it), or via phone and ask for him directly. To let you all know, he did agree to reimberse me for the fitting, provided I send it back to him without very much back and fourth pming.

Performance Update 1 9/13/07:
First of all, the kit is their 30r with the 82 Ar, 44mm Tial wategate, closed wastegate dump (meaning not dumping to atmosphere), and and set up for use with the MAF. As stated above, I also set up the intake to allow the BOV to recirculate, and thus made this a closed setup. Yes, I have heard the school of thought that having the wastegate dump will make better power. I can always get my hands on a blockoff plate and dumptube later.
Significant supporting mods are the Slowboy Stage 1 2.3l stroker kit (which has had no issues whatsoever) balanced and knife-edged, HKS cams 264 intake 272 exhaust with gears, and 1000cc injectors. Nothing ported and nothing bored. For engine management, I am using the AVCR to handle the boost, and a flash AND UTEC to handle everything else.
One important thing to note is I sit at an altitude over a mile above sea level, so my performance, including spoolup, may be slightly different than similiar setups at lower altitudes.

My first tune was a road tune, so unfortunately no dyno numbers for you all. Also, this tune was done on 91 octane and supposedly 23 lbs of boost (not sure how accurate my boost gauge is). I'll try to get a baseline a little later to show some numbers and back up my claims. I'm still playing with the AVCR as well and will undoubtedly get beter and sooner numbers out of the turbo once a figure out all the intricacies of the boost controller, but so far the kit is performing rather well, especially on this initial tune. The kit started to spool at 3800 and I got full spool around 4900. THe boost comes on hard as well, which is exactly as it should. More to follow as I as I continue tuning.

Last edited by thebluesky; Aug 14, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

good stuff. thanks for the review. look forward to seeing the #'s
Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 1, 2007, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Pic posted.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by thebluesky
EDIT:http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...3/PICT0133.jpg Here is the link to the pic of the lower intercooler pipe fitment. If you look closely, you can see the pipe is pulling back on the coupler causing it to collapse itself. I actually endend up eliminating the 90 degree coupler by having a 90 degree elbow welded on to the pipe. A lot less room for boost leaks that way, but I did that only out of preference.

This review is a little overdue. I bought this turbo kit in March and finally got around to installing it in late May. I'm waiting to get tuned, but I have some positives and negatives already.

The good: First of all, this has the potetial to be a very good kit. I love the fact that it uses a Hafe manifold, which I was considering using when I was contemplating piecing my own turbo kit. The kit itself is somewhat well thought out. It has a few problems, but I'll get into thise later. Overall fitment of the kit is okay. The kit clears the stock radiator fan, and the intakeclears most intercooler pipe setups (some are obscure which is why I bring this point up). The kit itself is very competitive in price. THe parts used in the kit are of good quality.

The Bad: There is a potentially serious flaw to this kit. THe oil feed line uses the WRONG SIZE BANJO FITTING!!! Provided with the kit is an 11mm banjo fitting, which is too big for the banjo bolt and allows for play that should not be there. It should be a 10mm banjo fitting. This incorrect fitting allows for a serious oil leak and potentially serious oil starvation problem unless the fitting is absolutely perfectly centered on the bolt and crush washers. Slowboy is aware of the problem but seems unwilling to do anything about it even after multiple emails (which recieved no response) and a phone call where I was told I was given the fitting they provide everyone (which is true because the oil line kits I've seen from them leak as well). I had the fix this problem at my own expense. $27 plus shipping. THank you Mr. Huml.

The lower intercooler pipe, although well built (very nice welding), does not fit well. It seems to have been desinged to fit as if the outlet of the turbo was fitting berfectly vertically, which is impossible. If not for the fact that it uses a 90 degree silicon elbow to connect it to the intercooler, I would not have been able to drive the car home from the garage the install was done at. Even then, it was an absolutely terrible fit. The elbow to the intercooler was kink itself due to the odd fit and would probably have blown off if not for the fact that they provide t-bolt clamps in the kit. If one of the ends of the pipe was rotated a mere 20 degrees, this would not have been a problem. I also had to fix this at my own expense. I will provide fitment pics a little later.

Slowbow allows for their kits to allow for use of the MAF, which is fine. I wish they would allow the option to recirculate the BOV as well, as I had a bit of a stalling issue. I alleviated the issue by having a a recirc tube welded in the the intake they provide. I don't feel this was a serious problem with the kit, but one that should be addressed all the same.

Slowboy does not include any supporting documentation with their kits. You either have to know what you're doing or have someone else install it for you who does. A diagram at a minimum would be helpful for some people.

I have not yet gotten any dyno results yet to see how well the kit does or does not make power. I'm waiting on my car to be tuned but will post my results at a later date after it's been done.

Don't buy from slowboy expecting good service. They will essentially leave you hanging once they have your money. If I wasn't as technically inclined as I am, I would probably feel ripped off. In all honesty, I kinda do with the money I've had to spend to fix the problems so far, especially the banjo fitting.
There is no 11 mm banjop adapter.

Never has been, never will be - we have 10 and 12 mm banjo adapters made for us, we have sold 1000's - not sure where or how you got an 11 mm version.

We have also sold 1000's of DSM oil line kits, using the same 10 and 12 mm bolts. None of which leak when properly assembled.

Which FMIC are you using - I know of a few kits that the inlet/ outlet is a bit different than ours causing some fitment problems.

I have never received an email from you, and I answer all the sales emails personally.

Yes, you have to know what you are doing to install a turbo kit on your car, again if you needed help you could have reached me by email and I would have tried my best to help you.

Did you send back the crazy 11 mm banjo adapter that is at the bottom of this gripe - I mean, we are out to make your life miserable you know

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice response....makes my choices a little easier.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

This sounds like the usual reviews you hear about slowboys and there bad fitting turbo kits and terrible customer service which i have experienced as well...the only way to get something done with them is to drive there yourself

As for the banjo, i had that problem with my buschur kit so i had to go to SBR and get a piece off of them that did fit
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Nice response....makes my choices a little easier.
Yes - if you do not see the world in black and white as I do, you tend to take offense to my comments. I however, am not a suck ***, never was, do not pretend to be, and will never be. So, if you do not like my comments, don't buy from me, or even leave a comment unless you have something important to say. I bet I can guess who you will be voting for!

If there is a genuine problem, I will fix it, it's all black and white.

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bvdawg13
This sounds like the usual reviews you hear about slowboys and there bad fitting turbo kits and terrible customer service which i have experienced as well...the only way to get something done with them is to drive there yourself

As for the banjo, i had that problem with my buschur kit so i had to go to SBR and get a piece off of them that did fit
We have sucky service, but you came to us to fix a problem with your Buschur racing turbo kit? PRICELESS.

Can I save this as my signature please?

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

^^^
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SBR INC
There is no 11 mm banjop adapter.

Never has been, never will be - we have 10 and 12 mm banjo adapters made for us, we have sold 1000's - not sure where or how you got an 11 mm version.

We have also sold 1000's of DSM oil line kits, using the same 10 and 12 mm bolts. None of which leak when properly assembled.

Which FMIC are you using - I know of a few kits that the inlet/ outlet is a bit different than ours causing some fitment problems.

I have never received an email from you, and I answer all the sales emails personally.

Yes, you have to know what you are doing to install a turbo kit on your car, again if you needed help you could have reached me by email and I would have tried my best to help you.

Did you send back the crazy 11 mm banjo adapter that is at the bottom of this gripe - I mean, we are out to make your life miserable you know

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
First of all, I'd like to say it's nice to finally get a response to this situation in writing from someone in the company, especially the owner. I guess it takes writing a neutral (although almost leaning towards negative) and unbiased review to get the company's attention, but I won't complain.

You're absolutely right, I dd not send the email to you personally, but I did send it multiple times to jmc@slowboyracing.com and got no response. If you'd like, I can forward that email to you or can post it up here. It's up to you. However, I pretty much posted up here what I wrote in the email.

Otherwise, I stand behind my review of your turbokit and the service I recieved surrounding the banjo adapter 100% as well as on the DSM adapter, of which I have experienced the same thing happening on the two I have seen.

I didn't even mention the fact that I recieved the wrong color wastegate. I ordered the silver one, I recieved black. I ended up liking the color once I saw it in person and let it go. However, that fact was also in the email I sent.

Past that, there really is no argument nor am I trying to get a rise out of you. If you don't like what I wrote, then either look into and fix the problem for me and everyone else to ensure it's a non issue in the future, or ignore my measly review and get on with your life, which I'm obviously out to make miserable .

To answer one of your questions, I'm using a turboxs intercooler. For the life of me I can't remember which one, but the ends sit straight.

As to knowing what I'm doing, that is a non-issue. However, I put that out there as it did not include any sort of diagram, especially as to which inlets on the turbo are for coolant and which are for oil. I figured out failry quickly what they were, but I know someone else has or will have that exact same problem. It was even questioned by a couple of others if you were even supposed to run coolant through it or if that was supposed to be eliminated. Do you get where I'm going with this?

I realized you or someone from your company would this review and would pass along the message. I essentially wrote this for not just the community's benefit, but for your company as well.

To everyone one else, I will post dyno results I get out of this kit around mid August. I will be leaving next week for training, and my car will be professionally tuned while I'm gone.

Last edited by thebluesky; Jul 2, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Also, to everyone who enters this thread, Let's keep it civil and to the point. If you have something constructive to add, then by all means post away. Otherwise, please don't fill my thread with bashing or nonsense.

I noticed a bit of a misunderstanding from one of the above posters. The turbo kit itself fit fine, it was a couple of the accessories that were a bit of an issue.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by thebluesky
First of all, I'd like to say it's nice to finally get a response to this situation in writing from someone in the company, especially the owner. I guess it takes writing a neutral (although almost leaning towards negative) and unbiased review to get the company's attention, but I won't complain.

You're absolutely right, I dd not send the email to you personally, but I did send it multiple times to jmc@slowboyracing.com and got no response. If you'd like, I can forward that email to you or can post it up here. It's up to you. However, I pretty much posted up here what I wrote in the email.

Otherwise, I stand behind my review of your turbokit and the service I recieved surrounding the banjo adapter 100% as well as on the DSM adapter, of which I have experienced the same thing happening on the two I have seen.

I didn't even mention the fact that I recieved the wrong color wastegate. I ordered the silver one, I recieved black. I ended up liking the color once I saw it in person and let it go. However, that fact was also in the email I sent.

Past that, there really is no argument nor am I trying to get a rise out of you. If you don't like what I wrote, then either look into and fix the problem for me and everyone else to ensure it's a non issue in the future, or ignore my measly review and get on with your life, which I'm obviously out to make miserable .

To answer one of your questions, I'm using a turboxs intercooler. For the life of me I can't remember which one, but the ends sit straight.

As to knowing what I'm doing, that is a non-issue. However, I put that out there as it did not include any sort of diagram, especially as to which inlets on the turbo are for coolant and which are for oil. I figured out failry quickly what they were, but I know someone else has or will have that exact same problem. It was even questioned by a couple of others if you were even supposed to run coolant through it or if that was supposed to be eliminated. Do you get where I'm going with this?

I realized you or someone from your company would this review and would pass along the message. I essentially wrote this for not just the community's benefit, but for your company as well.

To everyone one else, I will post dyno results I get out of this kit around mid August. I will be leaving next week for training, and my car will be professionally tuned while I'm gone.
Bottom line, did you send the banjo adapter back?

I would like to see it, and would have gladly sent you a new one if this was somehow wrong - although since 2001 when I started SBR - I have NEVER seen an 11 mm banjo adapter!

PS - sorry about the WG color - but the black does kick butt.

PSS - I will kick JMC's *** tomorrow, accept my apologies on his behalf.

Mike Huml
SBR Inc.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:23 AM

Bump for a good tune!

Quick Reply: Slowboy 30r turbo kit review